krav maga classes

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i went and watched a krav maga class a few weeks back.from what i saw the class was almost more about burning calories then self defense training.they really did not focus on the techniques of the fighting.they would show a move a few times and then turn on the music loud and just drill over and over.it just seemed to lack any real focus.
are all krav maga classes run like this? how do the classes run for you all that take this style?
from what i have read krav maga seems like a very effective style for self defense but if it is taught like the way i saw it taught it seems like a person could not really get a lot out of the classes self defense wise.
what do you think?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i went and watched a krav maga class a few weeks back.from what i saw the class was almost more about burning calories then self defense training.they really did not focus on the techniques of the fighting.they would show a move a few times and then turn on the music loud and just drill over and over.it just seemed to lack any real focus.
are all krav maga classes run like this? how do the classes run for you all that take this style?
from what i have read krav maga seems like a very effective style for self defense but if it is taught like the way i saw it taught it seems like a person could not really get a lot out of the classes self defense wise.
what do you think?

what do you think?

Unfortunately many Krav Maga classes are basically glorified cardio-kickboxing workouts.

Others insist that the student take 3-6 months of classes that are little more than kickboxing before getting in to a meaty self defense program.

There isn't a way of telling on the surface whether the school teaches quality material from the beginning or whether there is a lot of fluff and filller. Krav Maga is a very effective system of self-defense. It's also trendy and pricey. Some folks think the vigorous workout is worth it and that's all good. It's their call to make. Other folks get rather miffed at paying $125/month and getting a workout that isn't much different than the $3.00 class at the gym.

The only way really to tell is to do what you did...sit in on a class and see for yourself how much practical self-defense is taught.

Also check the lineage of the instructor. Someone that learned and used Krav Maga because of years in the Israeli military is going to have a very different approach to Krav Maga than someone that learned Krav Maga in their local health club.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is alot of variety in Krav Maga classes. Meaning that some instructors have had little training in Krav Maga and others have had a lot. Some training halls focus on the cardio kickboxing and others are very self defense oriented. Check out a few schools and see if it is for you.
icon14.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you think?

Check out this link:
http://www.kravmaga.com/programs.asp

There are a few different classes that are offered, so its possible that you were watching one that was more fitness oriented. This is not to say that the regualr classes are lacking cardio, but the focus should be more towards SD.

Mike

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently learning / studying krav maga, and at least at the school I go to there is a fair bit of cardio/kickboxing. This is both irksome, and good.

While I must admit I do enjoy getting a good workout - I'm one of those people who isnt particularly motivated to go burn calories (i loathe gym cardio machines, don't like running, etc ;P ) - so this works for me - I like padwork and kickboxing, and I'm in better shape than I've been in in the last 5 to 6 years.

However, my krav maga school has also gotten more and more students who clearly are there explicitly for the workout - I'm not necessarily thrilled by this, because said students don't always make the best training partners for self defence work (they don't even try to make contact during blocking drills, don't choke your shoulders instead of your neck, etc...). It is as it is, though, and a little communication goes a long way.

How much self defence work also depends on what level the class you were watching is. The formal KMAA level 1 curriculum really doesnt contain all that much self defence. We're talking choke defences (front, back, sides, push from front, push from back, headlocks) - a few really really cheesy knife defences (the infamous overhead swipe) - and the rest is mainly kickboxing and developing instincts. I'm taking my level 2 test this saturday, but from what i've seen levels 2 and 3 are more technical and less 'fundamental/kickboxing' oriented than level 1.

I've only trained for 5-6 weeks, so if I do progress to level 2 this weekend that won't be too bad of an 'initiation phase'. 3-6 months would -definitely- be way too long to spend on the level 1 curriculum.

as a sidenote

There's an IKMA school not too far from me, and i am -really- curious about going to observe one of their classes to see if their curriculum is any different from mine. It is taught by Israelis (my school is run by Americans). Does anyone else have any experience regarding any major difference between organizations?

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes.
but the krav maga association of america (KMAA) operates very much independently of the Israeli organizations - inasfar as having a different ranking system and even a few different techniques.

its also very much a hybrid system (unashamedly so) - and at least in the school that i train, a whole ton is ripped straight, and watered down a bit, from muay thai / jiu jitsu.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a JKD workout too. Drilling it yourself is more important than listening to an instructor drone on about the finer points!

Latest Discussions