Trying to decide a school

paperguynj

White Belt
Reaction score
hi, I’m a 46 yr old former wrestler, I did Crossfit for the last 8 years and I’m looking for something a little more fulfilling than just working out. My primary goal was to find a martial art for exercise. As i researched more Krav Maga kept coming up on my radar. We have Andrew schools that are in the area but I feel these are karate schools that added KM. I went to one class, I loved it but it did seem like a hard selling karate school. The instruction was not that great, I hurt my shoulder on the first elbow strike. Think that is something that needs to taught properly, just my opinion. Anyway, I am thinking I might take BJJ three days a week, and Krav from a police officer that teaches 1 day a week in the area. Any Help with my decision would be appreciated.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hi, I’m a 46 yr old former wrestler, I did Crossfit for the last 8 years and I’m looking for something a little more fulfilling than just working out. My primary goal was to find a martial art for exercise. As i researched more Krav Maga kept coming up on my radar. We have Andrew schools that are in the area but I feel these are karate schools that added KM. I went to one class, I loved it but it did seem like a hard selling karate school. The instruction was not that great, I hurt my shoulder on the first elbow strike. Think that is something that needs to taught properly, just my opinion. Anyway, I am thinking I might take BJJ three days a week, and Krav from a police officer that teaches 1 day a week in the area. Any Help with my decision would be appreciated.

Krav Maga is great if it is with a good instructor. It would be great to learn Krav from a police officer because he/she can teach based on his/her law enforcement experience. Tony Blauer does a self defense program with Crossfit. His stuff is pretty good. Being a wrestler, it would be very beneficial to train in something that you haven't experienced already.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don’t pick a style; pick a school. Make a list of everything in your area. Cross off the ones that conflict with your schedule and budget, then visit the rest.

Watch the teacher and the students. See what he/she’s teaching and how. See if the students are getting it or if they’re completely oblivious and doing their own thing. See if and how the teacher corrects things. See if the students train hard or if they just halfass it. Look to see if the level of contact fits what you’re comfortable with.

Let’s say Krav is the best system out there. What if your local Krav teacher is a complete clown, teaching it in a stupid way, and his students are a bunch of 9 year old wannabe power rangers? What if karate isn’t as good of an art as Krav, but the teacher teaches in a way you can relate to, he’s teaching what you’re actually looking for, and the students all work hard and work together. Which one should you train at?

If you visit enough places, the right one will jump out at you.

Have you also considered stuff that doesn’t normally cross people’s minds as martial arts - boxing, kickboxing, etc.?