Training Wing Chun?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I will be unable to see my sifu, or get to class, on any regular basis until June. I am trying to keep my training going but since, as far as Wing Chun goes, all I have is Sil lim tao and 4 turning drills. Other than chain punches on a heavy bag and my usual work out routine, does anyone have any suggestions as to what else to train that is Wing Chun Related. I should also say I do not have a Mook Yan Jing (Mu Ren Zhuang), but I am looking into an attachment for my heavy bag. However it will lack the lower arm, which my sifu did show me some kicks to train using.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I will be unable to see my sifu, or get to class, on any regular basis until June. I am trying to keep my training going but since, as far as Wing Chun goes, all I have is Sil lim tao and 4 turning drills. Other than chain punches on a heavy bag and my usual work out routine, does anyone have any suggestions as to what else to train that is Wing Chun Related. I should also say I do not have a Mook Yan Jing (Mu Ren Zhuang), but I am looking into an attachment for my heavy bag. However it will lack the lower arm, which my sifu did show me some kicks to train using.

Footwork and punching drills would be a great next step. There also might be additional concepts or mechanics that could be added-on to the 4 turning drills that will further develop what they are currently teaching as well. Maybe your sifu could make a few quick videos for you to follow while you're taking a break from training in person.

It is also important to remember that if you remove the fist from the punch and replace it with any other Wing Chun hand (Jaam Sau, Jut Sau, Biu Sau, Fuk Sau, Pak, etc…) the same mechanics still apply. So in terms of punching, try training one punch at a time. Single punches develop the system’s mechanics and elbow placement much better than constant chain punching. Adding a wall bag to your training will also make isolating your punches into controllable singles much easier than on a heavy bag.

Do you have any video of the 4 turning drills that you are working on?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Footwork and punching drills would be a great next step. There also might be additional concepts or mechanics that could be added-on to the 4 turning drills that will further develop what they are currently teaching as well. Maybe your sifu could make a few quick videos for you to follow while you're taking a break from training in person.

It is also important to remember that if you remove the fist from the punch and replace it with any other Wing Chun hand (Jaam Sau, Jut Sau, Biu Sau, Fuk Sau, Pak, etc…) the same mechanics still apply. So in terms of punching, try training one punch at a time. Single punches develop the system’s mechanics and elbow placement much better than constant chain punching. Adding a wall bag to your training will also make isolating your punches into controllable singles much easier than on a heavy bag.

Do you have any video of the 4 turning drills that you are working on?

Thank You

and no I do not have any videos

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO, you can't go wrong if you train your horse. Most wing chun folks ignore drills and exercise routines that build/enhance their horse.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, you can't go wrong if you train your horse.
Hmmm. Like this?

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F290b2bc8-7440-11ea-be30-097bd8237f0d.jpg

OK, seriously now, you make a good point. On the other hand, different WC/WT/VT branches have very different ideas about what makes a proper stance and steps.

Trondyne

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How about others in your area to train? Are you available to train with them?

I am always looking for people to train with in my area which is Westchester New York...

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look up Adam Chan he has online training..but not cheap

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How's the supplemental training coming along?

I actually just can't remember the proper way to do 3 of the 4 turning drills, so instead of continuing them and training them wrong, I stopped 3 of them. But I am working the single punches on the heavy bag, do not have a wall bag yet. Working in front or the mirror to make suer I am keeping the centerline. and working foot work.

Also trying to find time to get together with my shifu again

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Wish I could be more help with the turning drills; but if you plan on continuing with your sifu, IMO it's best to wait for his guidance so you remain on track with your curriculum. That goes with online courses as well...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Wish I could be more help with the turning drills; but if you plan on continuing with your sifu, IMO it's best to wait for his guidance so you remain on track with your curriculum. That goes with online courses as well...

I'm just trying to keep going with what I have until summer. Hopefully then I can get to my shifu's school on a regular basis

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being really good at a few foundational things is way better than skimming the surface on a bunch. Sit in your stance, hold a pad between your knees. Simple turning, if you don't remember the sequence your sifu taught you. Good idea working with a mirror. In addition to punching a heavy bag, punch your shower curtain and try to "pop" it instead of penetrating, like you would be inclined to with a heavy back. Make sure your elbow is behind and driving your punch.

Go deep in a few things and you'll be amazed at how much it helps you when you're back in your class in June.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Being really good at a few foundational things is way better than skimming the surface on a bunch. Sit in your stance, hold a pad between your knees. Simple turning, if you don't remember the sequence your sifu taught you. Good idea working with a mirror. In addition to punching a heavy bag, punch your shower curtain and try to "pop" it instead of penetrating, like you would be inclined to with a heavy back. Make sure your elbow is behind and driving your punch.

Go deep in a few things and you'll be amazed at how much it helps you when you're back in your class in June.
Agree, And that is pretty much what I'm working on, save one thing....."hold a pad between your knees". That, for me, is physically impossible due to a replaced knee, another bad knee and hip issues. But I have a solid stance and root rather well

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

If you have a some kind of staff/pole/shelf inside or whatever I would tie rope and tape to some sticks outside. Just roughly put them in the dummy position. Its not perfect but its quick cheap fix

Theres also a Wing Chun ring for helping with kinesthetic awareness during Chi Sau.

Have you done any elemental Wing Chun training?
Do the forms in a hot/cold shower and just keep focus?

Latest Discussions