Training Wing Chun and Boxing

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my DTE eskrima class we practice a good bit of empty hand work derived from Western Boxing. I constantly mess up since Wing Chun is my core art and the two use very different structures. I'm continuing with it mainly because I love eskrima and also I want to understand the boxer's method better (you know, the old Sun Tzu thing about knowing your enemy and all), but I can't see myself adopting a pure boxing approach. I see that Jin (Chinaboxer) also trains boxing/muay tai... I just don't know how he makes the transition from one to the other.

Do any of the rest of you train boxing or have boxing experience? If so, how do you use it, and how does it help your WC?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my DTE eskrima class we practice a good bit of empty hand work derived from Western Boxing. I constantly mess up since Wing Chun is my core art and the two use very different structures. I'm continuing with it mainly because I love eskrima and also I want to understand the boxer's method better (you know, the old Sun Tzu thing about knowing your enemy and all), but I can't see myself adopting a pure boxing approach. I see that Jin (Chinaboxer) also trains boxing/muay tai... I just don't know how he makes the transition from one to the other.

Do any of the rest of you train boxing or have boxing experience? If so, how do you use it, and how does it help your WC?
I think once you put those big fat gloves on it's a story all it's own. Some of the principles and concepts may be good, but a whole different deal. IMHO.

CRCAVirginia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train MMA as well as WC. I appreciate the training methods, pad work, clinch work, ground fighting etc. The conditioning and strategy is helpful as well.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

You can keep your Wing Chun structure, yet in boxing you'll be in the defensive/counterpunching side of things.

I train the boxing with MMA gloves, thus I don't train the hand postures or some changes the boxing gloves can produce for advantage. Yet the sweet science does have benefits that should be considered.

You also have to be careful not to fall in the danger of sports training... benefit now without concern for future effects.

Enjoy!

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I intend on getting into some mma eventually, micheal casey just came out for a seminar and we covered a lot of the WT anti grappling, seems like it would transfer very easily into mma situations, he was talking about how he trains with mma fighters on a somewhat frequent basis. as a sidenote, as if I haven't derailed the thread enough,
how goes the WT out there in PR? Still trying to get it banned or.. have things cooled down?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I intend on getting into some mma eventually, micheal casey... as if I haven't derailed the thread enough...quote]

The guys I train with no longer use the "WT" letters for BS legal reasons imposed on us, but we have the same lineage. Our group members have trained with LT, Emin, and Keith Kernspecht, and my foundation escrima training was with Rene Latosa way back... so we have the same roots. As you know, Rene's escrima is very boxing oriented yet it poses no problems for Michael Casey. Now I don't have Michael's ability, but if he can put it all together... then at least it's possible to do.

Now, to further derail my own thread, do you know if Michael lifts weights? I met him a couple of years back and judging from his build, it's hard to imagine that he doesn't.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I intend on getting into some mma eventually, micheal casey... as if I haven't derailed the thread enough...quote]

The guys I train with no longer use the "WT" letters for BS legal reasons imposed on us, but we have the same lineage. Our group members have trained with LT, Emin, and Keith Kernspecht, and my foundation escrima training was with Rene Latosa way back... so we have the same roots. As you know, Rene's escrima is very boxing oriented yet it poses no problems for Michael Casey. Now I don't have Michael's ability, but if he can put it all together... then at least it's possible to do.

Now, to further derail my own thread, do you know if Michael lifts weights? I met him a couple of years back and judging from his build, it's hard to imagine that he doesn't.

I haven't seen Michael casey for around 6 years or so, but the last time I saw him he said he was doiing only 3 exercises : squats, deadlifts, and for the life of me I can't remember the last one.......all with barbells....no isolation exercises.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I only heard he briefly speak about doing some cross training. I do however know he is a personal trainer, so I would imagine so. Sorry I can't be more informative. We worked on the escrima while he was out, and yes, all the weight on the front foot, it feels very boxing oriented, he sure does it put it together very nicely.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are structural similarities between western boxing and wing chun. When you examine the blocks and parries of boxing alongside those of arts like wing chun, and even karate, you can see the same movement patterns at work. My preference is to look at older generations of boxers as those guys fought much more often and had superior defensive skills as a result.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
2010. Was a while back. How did that work out?

Anyway lomenchemco.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
2010. Was a while back. How did that work out?

Anyway lomenchemco.
I believe position (opponent's/yours') is important when trapping—understanding where the opponent's center is. And, static chi sao may not build those skills.

Gum Sau — Golovkin:

sPpMyae.gif

Lap Sau — Lomachenko:

A9vbDQJ.gif

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe position (opponent's/yours') is important when trapping—understanding where the opponent's center is. And, static chi sao may not build those skills.
Lomachenko is amazing. Always thought so. Thanks for the videos! And, BTW if I learned anything from my cross training with Escrima that relates it would be:

1. Static Chi sau? Static anything sucks. Dynamic off-lining and hitting center from an angle ...that helps even an old geezer like me!

2. Power is important. Even in WC. Especially in WC. You can be relaxed and soft as a feather doing chi-sau, lap-sau. drills, etc., but when you hit "for reals" you gotta generate real power ...whole body power.

3. Rattan sticks are just sticks. They good are for training. Then go back to #1 and #2 above ...with or without the sticks.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions