Training when ill... Covid got me

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So Covid has finally caught up with me, after more than 2 years of dodging it. In the end it wasn't too bad, just a mild flu and now a cough that just won't quit, but then I'm healthy and have had 3 jabs.

It did mean that my regular plan to feed the YouTube algorithm was disrupted though, as I wasn't exactly fighting fit. I ended up making a video on training when ill, looking for things that are still doable even if you feel terrible. I came up with stretching and visualisation (surprisingly strongly supported in scientific literature).

Do you have any other suggestions on what to do to avoid missing out on your training gains?

The plus side of being stuck indoors was that I had some time to focus on my own forms practice once I could move about a bit without feeling awful.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah geez... sorry to hear that mate hope you recover okay.

Yeah always best to just rest as much as possible, but I would still train really lightly. Never ever to exhaustion or failure, but simply to get the body moving. Light forms practice, basics etc; never anything too intense that will impact the immune system.

Mobility work is always good too. If sick I will often just take it as a deload week of sorts, and ease back into training after I'm better. Nothing worse than delaying recovery!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of my wishes and prayers for your complete and rapid recovery. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I caught it the same day as a coworker and probably from the same person despite the masks etc. This was before they had a vaccine or anything.

I went on a fairly sedate two day solo hike and enjoyed a lot of sunshine and only experienced mild symptoms. I had to isolate myself at home but kept working every day.

Meanwhile my coworker went to bed and didn't get out of it for two weeks. He ended up in the hospital with viral pneumonia and the Dr. said he could have died.

While I would avoid strenuous activity, I still think the key to beating it is to keep a positive mental attitude, get plenty of vitamin D, and do something, don't just lie around.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speedy recovery to you! Enjoy the natural immunity!

Having a combative positive attitude towards adversity is always a positive. But at any given moment, life is a balance and when the body needs recovery time, it’s wise to back off on the strenuous. Taking normally hard/fast techniques, turnin them into slow motion movements, concentrating on breathing and fluidity can be a very beneficial thing. Just a thought.

Koko

White Belt
Reaction score
I went on a fairly sedate two day solo hike and enjoyed a lot of sunshine and only experienced mild symptoms. I had to isolate myself at home but kept working every day.

Meanwhile my coworker went to bed and didn't get out of it for two weeks. He ended up in the hospital with viral pneumonia and the Dr. said he could have died.
THIS. I was the first in my family to get it -- I didn't know I had "it", just thought I was sick with whatever -- so I kept moving (I have two young kids at home and take care of my parents as well). I toned down my training, but didn't go to bed or plaster myself to the couch. Those in my family that DID "go to bed" with it (they realized they had "it" and acted accordingly) wound up much sicker much longer. Also, don't quit eating even if you feel like not eating! I never stopped eating, while the 3 other adults drastically reduced calorie intake due to feeling nauseated. The 2 gentlemen wound up with bacterial pneumonia and needed abx and my mom felt ill for over 2 months. I was better in ~10 days!

Edited to add: If I had the chance to do it over, I would try to keep up with my mobility work. BUT as my family got it I was also taking care of them while getting over the end of my own illness, so I didn't really have the time!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Covid has finally caught up with me, after more than 2 years of dodging it. In the end it wasn't too bad, just a mild flu and now a cough that just won't quit, but then I'm healthy and have had 3 jabs.

It did mean that my regular plan to feed the YouTube algorithm was disrupted though, as I wasn't exactly fighting fit. I ended up making a video on training when ill, looking for things that are still doable even if you feel terrible. I came up with stretching and visualisation (surprisingly strongly supported in scientific literature).

Do you have any other suggestions on what to do to avoid missing out on your training gains?

The plus side of being stuck indoors was that I had some time to focus on my own forms practice once I could move about a bit without feeling awful.
What does your Doctor say?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Mrs Xue is a runner and she got Covid last June. she knew it was best, during the infection to rest, a lot. When she returned to running she discovered she could not run as far, so she took it slow. It took here about 2 weeks to get back to where she was. But se got there a lot quicker than she did when she first started running.
Best, take it easy, you will recover faster and you will regain what you lost rather quickly when your body is ready

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me, if I can reasonably move around (like with a mild flu, not like a flu that puts me in bed), I like doing slow, gentle kata. It gets me moving, and takes my mind off how I feel.

When you speak of "training gains", if you're talking about skill gains, those don't take a big hit from a few days off to recover from illness. Once you can reasonably train again, start really slow and work simple fundamentals while paying attention to how you feel. That lets you work skills in a way that doesn't slow your recovery.

If you're talking about fitness/muscular gains, your best bet is to make sure you allow your body to recover from the illness. Trying to train hard enough to support fitness can leave you feeling sick longer, so it takes longer to get back to full training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of my wishes and prayers for your complete and rapid recovery. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I caught it the same day as a coworker and probably from the same person despite the masks etc. This was before they had a vaccine or anything.

While I would avoid strenuous activity, I still think the key to beating it is to keep a positive mental attitude, get plenty of vitamin D, and do something, don't just lie around.
More likely, you had a mild case, so were able to do things like going hiking, while your coworker had a much worse case.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely, you had a mild case, so were able to do things like going hiking, while your coworker had a much worse case.
That is entirely possible. He is a few years my senior and not as fit physically. I was not and am not all that physically fit; but I do exercise regularly and do my best to keep my weight in check. The best hedge against disease is being healthy and strong to begin with. Of course, with some diseases even that is no guarantee of survival. We live until we don't, the key is to live well while you can.

Again my thoughts and prayers to all those afflicted. Everyone in my house has had it at least once and survived. I've noticed I'm not quite as robust as I was physically pre-covid, I don't bounce back quite as fast from injuries or strenuous exercise. It's nasty stuff and I wish it had never been released into the world.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I had a mild case, caught it from Mrs Xue. Felt like I had a bad head cold, but I was not interested in doing much. I never had a fever, never lost my sense of taste or smell, but I had a headache and a sore throat. My temperature did spike every now and then, but it never lasted more than 10 to 20 minutes and then went back to normal.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a mild case, caught it from Mrs Xue. Felt like I had a bad head cold, but I was not interested in doing much. I never had a fever, never lost my sense of taste or smell, but I had a headache and a sore throat. My temperature did spike every now and then, but it never lasted more than 10 to 20 minutes and then went back to normal.
There seems to be a lot of variability in the reaction, even to the original variant. I know old folks who refused to get vaccinated who caught it and had the same symptoms as the "common cold" (not surprising because the corona virus family is in the "common cold" family of viruses). And I know of young and very fit people who died from it. And, of course, it seems that there are/were a ton of people who are/were asymptomatic.

Most people seem to smack somewhere in the middle with what is often described as "spicy" cold/flu symptoms.

The human body isn't rolled out on an assembly line like Bender. We're all just a little bit different, because of everything from genetics to environment, and thus will often react within a given range, sometimes at extreme ends of the range, of symptoms to diseases.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm mostly back to my old self now, just the occasional cough. Managed to get back to full training yesterday. Glad those of you that have had it haven't been too badly hit either. I do worry slightly about the prospect of "Long Covid". Hopefully I'm healthy enough that it won't be an issue. I feel a lot better than I did after my second vaccine dose, even a week after that I couldn't run for 5 minutes.

I'm less concerned with losing strength and skill when out of action and more about missing out on training. Every day is an opportunity to improve! :)

I expect with people being more relaxed about things now, general illness will become a more common thing again. I quite enjoyed not being ill for 2 years!

I was struck doing my research for this video just how powerful visualisation has been shown to be. When visualising skills/techniques you've already practiced it can improve skill and strength, even more than just normal training alone. That's an insight that is going to stick with me. I can get better at punching and kicking even when I'm laying down not moving!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm mostly back to my old self now, just the occasional cough. Managed to get back to full training yesterday. Glad those of you that have had it haven't been too badly hit either. I do worry slightly about the prospect of "Long Covid". Hopefully I'm healthy enough that it won't be an issue. I feel a lot better than I did after my second vaccine dose, even a week after that I couldn't run for 5 minutes.

I'm less concerned with losing strength and skill when out of action and more about missing out on training. Every day is an opportunity to improve! :)

I expect with people being more relaxed about things now, general illness will become a more common thing again. I quite enjoyed not being ill for 2 years!

I was struck doing my research for this video just how powerful visualisation has been shown to be. When visualising skills/techniques you've already practiced it can improve skill and strength, even more than just normal training alone. That's an insight that is going to stick with me. I can get better at punching and kicking even when I'm laying down not moving!
Glad to hear you're feeling better. I lost my primary instructor to Covid last year (and almost lost a previous primary instructor, who was sick at the same time - possibly from the same source), so I worry about anyone I hear having it.

From what I understand, there's some evidence that a strong reaction like that to a vaccine may signal an especially strong immune response (better protection). I remember that being preliminary data, so not sure if that's been supported by further data or not.

In any case, let us know how your recovery goes. I know I was restless to get back when I had my knee surgery a thousand years ago, so I understand that wanna-get-back feeling!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're feeling better. I lost my primary instructor to Covid last year (and almost lost a previous primary instructor, who was sick at the same time - possibly from the same source), so I worry about anyone I hear having it.

From what I understand, there's some evidence that a strong reaction like that to a vaccine may signal an especially strong immune response (better protection). I remember that being preliminary data, so not sure if that's been supported by further data or not.

In any case, let us know how your recovery goes. I know I was restless to get back when I had my knee surgery a thousand years ago, so I understand that wanna-get-back feeling!
What a nightmare, I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to believe that plagues like this can happen and kill people in this day and age.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it...... 10 months after knee replacement and still not back to normal
I wish you'd had the easy path I did with my surgery (of course, it was a minor surgery by comparison). I keep hoping I'll see a post from you that the knee has started acting like it knows what it's for.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wish you'd had the easy path I did with my surgery (of course, it was a minor surgery by comparison). I keep hoping I'll see a post from you that the knee has started acting like it knows what it's for.

See the MD again on Friday to see if we are on track or if we are not or it we're talking arthroscopic surgery

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Before last week I'd have said sure, go for it, 200%

Today though, I can't. Not because of anything you said, other than "full training". I hate to bring bad news, and I'm not a medical doctor, but your lungs may never be the same, and you should bear that in mind every day training from here to eternity.

Long Covid has killed a few elite and champions as of 2022. This guy caught it, lost 30lbs, doc told him "don't gain the weight back", but he wanted it back, and ultimately the Long Covid's lung-altering effects combined with so much load on his heart made him a martyr of sorts. Death by treadmill. But at least it wasn't a Peloton for once....who needs to spend that much money for a heart attack?

Not me. I'd rather go out jogging free, like Dave Carter.

1650502999242.png

Last edited: