Training speed and timing

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right now there are a couple of sparring related threads up, one on contact sparring, and one discussing whether competitive sparring is counterproductive. These are interesting discussions to me as I had two tournament matches yesterday to remind me of both my progress and my challenges.

In addition to sound technique, any practical use of taekwondo requires fitness, speed and timing. At 47, I'm getting further into the world where timing has to fill in for speed (at least vs. my 17 yr. old :)). I just don't see any substitute for sparring for training timing. Speed, you can practice off the line somewhat, reps help (I like paddles best), and plyometrics and bungies help. I'm looking for any additional ideas for training my speed and timing.

Thanks,
Carl

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now there are a couple of sparring related threads up, one on contact sparring, and one discussing whether competitive sparring is counterproductive. These are interesting discussions to me as I had two tournament matches yesterday to remind me of both my progress and my challenges.

In addition to sound technique, any practical use of taekwondo requires fitness, speed and timing. At 47, I'm getting further into the world where timing has to fill in for speed (at least vs. my 17 yr. old :)). I just don't see any substitute for sparring for training timing. Speed, you can practice off the line somewhat, reps help (I like paddles best), and plyometrics and bungies help. I'm looking for any additional ideas for training my speed and timing.

Thanks,
Carl
Well at 47 you are in the same boat as me and sorry to say that there is not much that can be done to train to be as fast as we were at 17 or in our 20's. Age does that.

However timing is something that you can always keep sharp. However if you are looking to hit and not be hit then you better stop looking as that thing is lost for good. You will have to block and counter or take a hit to counter with a better hit.

When I spar the younger students I plan on only 4-5 good strikes per round. Round kick, Back kick, Axe Kick and maybe one Double kick is all I will use.

Along with timing you will need a good strategy. One of my favorites is to stay open sided. This forces my opponent to only use the back leg as any lead leg kick to my back side is easily countered with a bada or an outside inside axe to the face. By forcing them to fight open I now have the advantage as I know what is coming and have quite a few counter that can be used.

I will from time to time fight closed sided but this leaves to many option for my opponent and I just don't have the speed to react to the options any more.

By doing this simple strategy I give the illusion of being fast but I am not. I just know what is coming because I force it.

Hope this helps the older one out there like me.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions