Ohashi Shihan and letting him know you are coming and how
many are in your group might be a good idea to! My impression
was also that everyone is welcome, all Bujinkan members are
welcome in Soke's class. When I was there, I saw at least
eight to ten kyu ranks in every class!

Now Don, referencing your worship phrase, respect is more
than enough! Worship, well that may be overstating the
translators importance by a bit to much! (ha, ha, I really
appreciated and respected all of the translators efforts!!!)

One last thing I really think that if you can before you go,
attend several seminars with various Shihan that travel to Japan
or live in Japan. Shihan such as Legare Sensei, Pearce Sensei,
Saego Sensei, Martin Sensei, Young Sensei etc. This will really
help you and more than likely you will know a Shihan when you
are training in Japan! Just my two cents!

Brian R. VanCise

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
well I'm pretty familiar with the translator "rules" since being deaf I have a translator. It is pretty annoying when a person is supposedly talking to me but keeps facing the translator! :)

On that note, when I get to Japan (sometime in this lifetime). I will have to face the translator simply for the fact that I will have to read their lips. Will this pose a problem? Since I don't know much about the Japanese ettique in that regards.

~Deaf~

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Deaf said:
On that note, when I get to Japan (sometime in this lifetime). I will have to face the translator simply for the fact that I will have to read their lips. Will this pose a problem? Since I don't know much about the Japanese ettique in that regards.
Just have the translator explain that you read lips in English, not in Japanese, there shouldn't be any problem.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deaf said:

I do not think the Japanese will take offense, but sometimes the translator is the uke for the technique being demonstrated. Maybe not at the honbu, but in the smaller shihan classes the teacher may want to grab and demonstrate on a person whose ukemi ability is well known. That may be the translator if there is no one better around.

Funny, related story. I usually run a comedy routine while translating. One time my teacher got me into a seoi-nage type of move while I was translating. As I was on my toes he said, "There is a reason why I put him up in the air" which I translated. Then he lowers the boom and tosses me into the ground-hard. From there I made the comment, "that's why."

Entire class took over a minute to compose themselves enough to get back to training.

And I still say you should worship, yes WORSHIP the translators!!!! Bring them casks of sacred wine and toss virgin sacrifices to them. You will get a lot better service if you do. You want the guy to stick around after class to pick the teacher's brain about something? Well, better make it worth his while or he is going to catch an early train instead.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
And I still say you should worship, yes WORSHIP the translators!!!! Bring them casks of sacred wine and toss virgin sacrifices to them. ...
Would those virgin sacrafrices happen to be communists?

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Bring them casks of sacred wine and toss virgin sacrifices to them.

Single-malt Scotch whisky okay?

I'll be back in a couple of months; I can bring a warm, sweet full-bodied twelve-year-old for you to try out. . .

Whisky, that is, not a virgin!!

:uhyeah:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A slight tangent, but... not just for translators, but any of the gaijin who help you out... For example, if you plan to stay with one of the local Bujinkan members from the States or Canada, it might be a good idea to ask if there's anything they'd like brought over that may be hard to get in Japan.

Jeff

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
Single-malt Scotch whisky okay?

I'll be back in a couple of months; I can bring a warm, sweet full-bodied twelve-year-old for you to try out. . .

Whisky, that is, not a virgin!!

:uhyeah:

Forget the Scotch, after reading that I spewed my morning coffee all over my monitor. Get me a new computer!

Seriously, I found Speybourne in Tokyo and the inport duties seem to make it cheaper than you can get in it America.

Dale brings up a good point. It is a nice thing to bring a little local gift to the teacher. If you are from America, maybe some Wild Turkey or some See's candy, etc. Japanese do this.

One thing the Japanese do not really need is t-shirts and other stuff that takes up room forever in small Japanese houses. Some teachers may ask for specific things, but if you have not been asked try to bring soemthing they can consume and discard like foods and drinks.

And don't forget the hard working trnaslators!!!! The nut case who translates for Nagase likes Samual Adams and Moosehead beer. As much as you can leglally carry. Worship me peons, WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

Genin Andrew

"Dale brings up a good point. "

Uhh...Don?

Was that Dale or Kreth(Jeff)??? Dont worry Jeff i'm sure Don knew it was you he was just gettin' all excited about the beer...a few typos can be excused ; )

-andrew

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genin Andrew said:
Was that Dale or Kreth(Jeff)???

Dale first brought up the subject of bringing things to Japan, Kreth expanded on it to make the very, very good suggestion that you should bring things for gaijin staying in Japan that they can't get here.

As an example of the latter, right now I am in contact with someone who is getting me a video of "The Little Mermaid" for my daughter. It is no longer made. The second hand stores on the web do not seem to want to ship to Japan. The Japanese second hand stores only have copies that are dubbed in Japanese. And I want my daughter (who has been gaga over Ariel since seeing a live show at Tokyo Disney Sea) something that will challenge her English while she rots her brain in front of the TV.

A

AaronLucia

Anyone know the costs to train with Nagato, Shiraishi or Naguchi sensei's?
I was mainly planning on training with Soke when i went to Japan, but after watching a video with the above guys in it, i decided to try to train with them too.

Anybody have any further info?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hatsumi sensei has requested that we not put prices on a public forum. I've pmed you the info you asked for...

Jeff

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I should mention,

Do not bring live swords to Japan!!!!

The Japanese goverment does not like the idea of swords being brought in. If you have a Japanese made sword made in the traditional manner, they will let you in after a few hours of anal exam. I had a friend get a sword in America that he thought was made in Japan. Turns out, it was made in China. Some of the modern made blades you can get are now made in China. Unless you know the sword is made in Japan (like you bought it here) leave it at home or be prepared to have it seized and melted down.

Oh, and if you buy/ bring a real sword to Japan, do not take it to the honbu. Please! Ask if you can bring it in the time before you show up with it in your hand to the Japanese shihan's classes. Unless you are planning on doing some test cutting, there really is no need to have something like that around.

On the same subject of not bringing things to Japan, be carefull of things like cold remedies and such. Some of the things you can get over the counter in the states are illeagle in Japan. I do not have a list to point to and urge people to just err on the side of caution. They treat these things almost the same way they do crack or meth.

On the other hand, if you get sick and need something like that, trying to figure out the lable of the stuff in the drug stores here can be a real pain. :idunno:

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
If you have a Japanese made sword made in the traditional manner, they will let you in after a few hours of anal exam. :idunno:
Don, if that's what you've got to do to get back into Japan, then I think you've been standing in the wrong line...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And whatever you do, never ever ask a Japanese shihan their opinion of someone's buttocks.

:rofl:

Oh yeah. There is a story involved, but until I get the TV program in my hands, you will just have to wait.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
And whatever you do, never ever ask a Japanese shihan their opinion of someone's buttocks.

Well, most Asians don't have any to speak of anyhow, though I could mention a few lasses I was lucky enough to. . .

. . .but I won't, as that was before I met m'lady Ter.

Who may end up reading this thread at some point.

And who sleeps with both a short sword and a .40 cal Glock within reach on her side of the bed.