Objective Driven Martial Arts Curriculum

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do - An Objective Driven Martial Arts Curriculum

By John Kedrowski

Introduction

Tang Soo Do is a popular Korean martial art that has practitioners all around the world. The art has incorporated elements of Chinese, Okinawan and Japanese martial arts in a synthesis that has produced a great art to practice.

Yet, along its syncretic lineage, Tang Soo Do has lost some things. Important elements that were part of the Japanese, Okinawan, and Chinese roots were left out of the synthesis. In a first of its kind book, I have traced the history of Tang Soo Do through my lineage and back into Okinawa in an attempt to not only discover the missing pieces, but also to suggest a curriculum for teaching them as part of the art.

I have drawn upon my own training in various styles of karate and other martial arts, my travels and research in regards to this topic, and my experience as an educational professional with graduate degrees in curriculum and pedagogy to perform this analysis. The end result is an exciting recasting of many old themes into modern forms that have the potential to take the art of Tang Soo Do into a new direction.

The Missing Pieces

Tang Soo Do is like a building constructed from the materials of necessity. We have pieces of arts spackled here and there in order to fill in the cracks and hold the whole thing together. Yet, there are some common elements that most Tangsoodoin share. These elements are Kicho (basics), Hyung (forms), Ill Soo Shik (One steps), Ho Sin Shul (self defense), and Deh Ryun (sparring).

These curricular elements are shared entities throughout many other Korean Martial Arts and they owe their roots to Japanese Shotokan. Kihon (basics), Kata (forms), and Kumite (sparring) form the backbone of the immediate root art for Tang Soo Do. My book goes into detail on Tang Soo Do’s syncretic lineage and gives the reader a clear vision as to how the art was transmitted from Okinawa, to Japan, to Korean, to the United States, and finally to me. Suffice to say, that analysis falls outside of the scope of this article. Instead, we will address the various results curricular subtractions, misunderstandings, and obfuscations have brought about.

The missing pieces involve all of these traditional curricular elements and cannot be addressed by attempting to deal with each individually. This is because of the haphazard way in which the art came together. There is a manifold discontinuity in this edifice that needs to be addressed. The lack of a coherent thread that pulls all of this together to achieve ultimate instructional goals has lead to the general disarray in the Tangsoodoin's understanding of what it is they are actually practicing, why they practice it, and how they practice.

My corrective suggestion for dealing with this problem is that we focus on our hyungs when building our curriculum.

Traditionally, these constructs were designed in order to transfer an art that could be used to preserve one's life in dangerous situations. As this is a central goal for many people's practice of Tang Soo Do, probing the root arts for clues as to how this was done and innovating new solutions to meet the needs of our current environment is paramount.

The following is meant to form a philosophic basis for the formation of a hyung-based curriculum. These principles will inform how we practice the traditional curricular elements that most tangsoodoin are familiar with. The end result of all this will convert the ramshackle edifice that we currently deal with into one that is focused upon clear goals and provides a clear vehicle for a student's progression towards those goals.

Understanding By Design

Understanding by Design is an educational model similar to the business model known as Zero-Basing. In both, all elements of a system are evaluated against a set of objectives, or, as in the case of education, enduring understandings. These objectives become the driving force behind the construction of structures designed to deliver a product, whether that be something material or academic.

In the case of Tang Soo Do, the objectives of the art have changed many times through its lineage. Often these objectives simply were misunderstood, but at other times they were deliberately obfuscated and changed in order to create an art very different from the parent art.

Before we can move forward with the construction of our curriculum, we need to learn view our objectives. It was stated before that the moves in our hyung are not the singular sequences we typically see practiced as kicho in most dojangs. The real "moves" are strikes, locks, throws and takedowns, nerve strikes, and ground fighting techniques.

With that being said, how does one view the moves in the hyung in order to "see" their real nature?

The answer to this question starts with Itosu Sensei, the man who is largely responsible for the popularization of Kara-te worldwide. If you look at modern Kara-te, the kihon, kata, and kumite pattern is ubiquitously shared amongst many styles. They basically follow the model that Itosu Sensei created for Imperial Japan's Ministry of Education. The line drills of basic techniques, sanitized kata, and a limited form of sparring were all created to be practiced safely by children in school.

Personally, I think that one of the reasons that Modern Karate is so attractive to parents and kids is because this is what Itosu's intended to create. As a trainer of teachers, I think that he had an intuitive understanding of development so that he could really go about designing something that would be appropriate for children. Kara-te was intentionally watered down and made safe and this is what was passed on to most of us originally.

Enduring Understandings

If we pause to consider the history presented, the roots that karate draws upon, and the kinds of skills that would actually be needed in a self-defense situation, we can begin to write objectives for our curriculum. One of the first things we need to understand is that human on human violence can encompass many tools. A person can be attacked with multitudes of weapons and a general familiarity with those weapons will be highly important.

In my own training, I have experienced two schools of thought when it comes to training the weapons for self-defense. In one method, the most deadly weapons are trained first so that the highest skill level is developed with those. Then, a hierarchy of less effective weapons are trained until you come to your natural weapon skills. This method assumes that the practitioner’s first choice in self-defense will be something other then natural weapons. It assumes that natural weapon self-defense is the absolute last resort.

In the other method, natural weapon skills are trained first and weapons are added later on in order to build familiarity. The natural weapon skills are developed to the highest degree while the weapon skills are seen as more of a rounding out of training. The assumption with this method is that the defender is limited in the weapons they can use for defense, thus the most readily available weapons, natural weapons, are developed most highly. Weapon skills are trained on the assumption that there is a lesser chance of being attacked by a weapon other then a natural weapon or that, mostly likely, a defender will not be armed with anything other then natural weapons if attacked.

There are many methods of Karate. Some of these methods start with weapons and flow to natural weapons. Some of these methods start with natural weapons and move to weapons. In choosing the focus of this objective, one needs to be very careful because the direction of the lineage that led to Shotokan is already known. The art was designed with natural weapons in mind and then other weapons were added in as the student progressed.

It could be possible to reverse the order, but I think that the end result would look nothing like what is practiced now and commonly known as Tang Soo Do. This outcome is entirely acceptable to some people and I have no argument against it. This article, however, will maintain the former rather then the latter. This will be done on the assumption that practitioners of this art will not normally be carrying weapons thus the most readily available weapons will be natural.

Thus, the first objective of this art will be as follows…

1. Students will become familiar with the use of weapons needed for self-defense, starting with empty hand and moving on toward more dangerous weapons.

This objective is very powerful because it gives a clear focus for the art and it doesn’t place any artificial limits upon the kinds of weapons that will be trained. This objective also allows for growth and adaptation to the needs of different teachers and different circumstances. This single objective will encompass all of the physical tools in a martial art.

When you look at pictures of old karate practitioners, many of them are standing around various pieces of equipment (See Figure 1). Some of this equipment resembles the dumbbells that a person would see in a gym. Some of it resembles posts of wood in the ground. Some of it just looks like rocks…except these rocks are being heaved or struck by the karate guy.

In the days of Matsumura, it was recognized that physical conditioning mattered when it came to self-defense. Gichin Funakoshi often wrote of the ways that he kept his body continually conditioned throughout his entire life so that his karate would be more effective. In one story, told in his autobiography, Karate-Do: My Way of Life, he relates a story of how he wore a specific style of sandal that put pressure on the calf muscle with every step that he took.

It was understood that physical attributes were important to self-defense. They were not the prime decider in an encounter, but they were important nonetheless. Thus, physical training has always been part of the traditional karate curriculum. In many modern styles, like Goju-Ryu, physical training exercises still are part of the training and these exercises are fully incorporated into every aspect of the art. (See Figure 2-3)

When one pauses to look at the Tang Soo Do curriculum, one is able to see many possibilities where physical training could be accomplished. This physical training is something that can be specifically included into the curriculum so that students have a clear understanding of why they are challenging themselves. That said, I think we can write the following objective.

2. Students will develop the physical strength, dexterity, flexibility, and stamina needed for self-defense.

This objective does not imply that the only people that can practice karate are the physically fit. This objective refers to the arts ability to develop a student’s physical attributes so that they are physically better able to handle the stresses of a self-defense situation. As we break down the training methods in later chapters, the ways that physical training can be taught within the curriculum will become apparent.

The act of self-defense is not something that can be taken lightly. From the above, we can see a student must be trained in the tools for self-defense and they must train their bodies to use those tools. There is another important aspect when it comes to self-defense that a student must develop.

It takes a lot of mental training to effectively defend oneself. Not only must you have the knowledge and will to survive, you must also have the ability to justify what you are doing to yourself and to authorities of law. This mental training was so important that all of the old masters of Karate placed a great emphasis on philosophy, meditation, and visualization.

In the Bubishi, the source of which many old masters of karate drew wisdom, there are several articles dedicated to promoting proper ethical spirit in a student. There are also several articles dedicated to the mental preparations a student must make when entering a fight.

Also, it is the author’s belief that one of the reasons the information on healing is stressed so profoundly in the Bubishi is to make the student implicitly aware of the affects that karate techniques can have on the human body. The detailed knowledge of anatomy, the ways the human body can be damaged and the detailed knowledge of healing that damage should be enough to provide a student with ample reason not to engage in conflict if it can at all be avoided.

An objective that covers the mental aspects of self defense training could look like the below.

3. Students will develop the mental capacity needed for self-defense. This capacity will address reaction to stress, performance of technique under pressure, and the ability to discern when the performance of the technique is appropriate.

On analysis of this objective, it becomes apparent that forms of visualization, meditation, study of law, ethical training, and stress based mental exercises become appropriate in one’s curriculum. If you pause to consider the old master’s writings, it becomes apparent that they believed so strongly in training the mind that training technique occurred almost as if by default.

Consider the following anecdote shared by one of my jujutsu sensei. There once was a boy who wanted to learn swordsmanship. He found a master and asked if he could train. The master refused, telling him he was too young. The boy persisted, however, and finally was taken on to train.

The master immediately set the boy about to do various tasks around the master’s home. He dug ditches. He piled bricks. He chopped wood. He pulled weeds. After a few days, the boy asked the master, “how long before I become a master?”

“Ten years,” replied the master.

“What if I work really hard and dedicate my life?”

“Twenty years!” the master replied with a laugh.

The boy, albeit frustrated, persevered, he would work himself to exhaustion everyday and then fall into his bed immediately deeply asleep. That is when the blows fell.

The master would find the boy when he least expected it and surprise him with strikes from a stick. Sometimes the boy would awaken from a pleasant dream with a rap across the shins. Sometimes the boy would be using the latrine and the door would burst open and the master would attack. Or the attack would come in the middle of a conversation at dinner.

One day, several months later, the boy was making dinner and the master crept up behind him with his stick. When he attacked, the boy calmly fended off the master’s strike with a pan and then went back to cooking dinner. The very next day, the master presented his pupil with his first sword.

I realize that the anecdote perpetrates many of the trite themes transmitted in many martial arts, but I think that it does serve a point in showing that the mental training was and is considered to be a large part of a practical self-defense curriculum.

Restating the objectives…

1. Students will become familiar with the use of weapons needed for self-defense, starting with empty hand and moving on toward more dangerous weapons.
2. Students will develop the physical strength, dexterity, flexibility, and stamina needed for self-defense.
3. Students will develop the mental capacity needed for self-defense. This capacity will address reaction to stress, performance of technique under pressure, and the ability to discern when the performance of the technique is appropriate.

Upon reading, it should become apparent that these are reasonable expectations from a course of study that claims to prepare a student for self-defense. It also becomes apparent that much of what is taught in the typical Tang Soo Do class does not meet these objectives. The following paragraphs will lay out a program that adheres to these objectives.

This program of instruction is based upon a set of sound basics, an organized method of form analysis, a methodology for drilling and testing application, an approach to sparring, a program for mental training, and an introduction to various kinds of weapons and concepts. This program of instruction draws upon several years of research into different styles of karate and different styles of martial arts. The program’s purpose is to teach the objectives listed above.

Suggestions for using Hyung in a Tang Soo Do Curriculum

I am writing this next section, not as a criticism of the average Tangsoodoin's curriculum, but as a road map for evolution. This knowledge represents a change of environment in which the Tangsoodoin can adapt if they choose.

Traditionally, the Tang Soo Do curriculum contains the following elements. Kicho (basics), hyung (forms), Ill Soo Shik (one steps), Ho Sin Shul (self defense), Deh Ryun (sparring), and Kyok Pa (breaking). These elements are arranged differently depending on teacher and organization, but are, for the most part, ubiquitous across the Tang Soo Do spectrum.

As one learns more about hyung, taking into account the material I've written above, and/or finding out even more then what I've written, this will demand changes if one's wish is to incorporate this material. This is because the techniques and combinations used in the forms are far more comprehensive then what the average Tangsoodoin practices.

With that being said, rather then throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I'm going to use the general categories for this thesis in order to continue the common thread that all Tangsoodoin share. It is my opinion that in a hyung based curriculum, the following elements should look like this...

1. Kicho - Basics should be designed so that they introduce a student to the real techniques in a form. These techniques should be functional, as in they should be exactly what you would do in a violent altercation. Techniques should be practiced so that you consistently practice with a partner and that you develop real focus, balance and power. Impact training, whether on pads and/or a makiwara should be the fundamental way striking basics should be practiced. Grappling and throwing techniques should also be practiced with a partner and should include full ukemi and tapping.

Finally, basic techniques should be limited to what is actually found in the forms. This does not mean that should rigidly adhere to the exact techniques found in the particular form being practiced by the student. A variety of techniques that fit the spirit of the application in the form should be explored so that Tangsoodoin becomes better rounded.

2. Hyung. In most Korean systems, a 10-gup-belt system is used in order to designate a student’s skill level. In a hyung-based curriculum, the intense focus and analysis upon each form demands that only one hyung be taught for each rank. This is vital because it gives the student time to really focus on what they are learning and analyze the hyung to its fullest potential.

As far as how a hyung should be taught, this will vary as a student increases in skill level and understanding of the hyung. The teaching the hyung should correspond to the way that various kicho techniques are introduced. Beginning students should learn predominantly striking techniques with some grappling and throwing techniques thrown in so that they can learn how to fall and tap properly. As a student advances, this continuum will flip to a point where few new striking techniques will be introduced and mostly grappling and throwing techniques are being practiced.

All of this will inform how a teacher teaches a hyung. At the beginning stages, the striking elements are emphasized, but as the student progresses, more grappling and throwing will be introduced. At some point, the teacher should make time for students to examine earlier kata for the advanced concepts found in early forms.

The actual teaching the hyung should include a major focus on stance and technique. However, all criticism of stance and technique should somehow be tied to how that technique is actually applied against an opponent. Criticism will vary from student to student depending on their level of understanding of hyung layers.

Finally, a student should learn the entire hyung immediately so that they have time to practice the hyung and make the movements instinctual by the next time they test. This will also provide them with ample time to analyze the hyung's techniques.

3. Ill Soo Shik. One-steps should come directly from applications in the hyung. The teacher should construct a series of required one-steps that utilize the differing layers of understanding in regards to hyung technique. Beginning student one steps should include mostly strikes. As a student advances, more grappling and throwing should be included. The teacher needs to make a concerted effort to show the various principles each hyung is attempting to teach.

The students should also be encouraged to figure out their own one-steps. I would recommend that the student should be required to produce 2-5 one-steps per form. This is done in order to provide the Tangsoodoin an opportunity to hone their hyung analysis skills.

Finally, one-steps should be drilled continuously so that they are smooth and effortless. The teacher should provide ample opportunity for this to take place. This, however, limits the amount of one-steps a student can practice. A student should learn no more then 40 one-steps before chodan.

4. Ho Sin Shul. Where one-steps provide a student the opportunity to analyze the hyung, ho sin shul should provide a student with the opportunity to test one's skill in a more controlled environment the sparring. The teacher should use ho sin shul to introduce concepts like random attacks and varying degrees of resistance in order to move the practice the hyung's applications beyond the academic one steps and into something that has more basis in reality. Finally, a full range of attacks should be explored with ho sin shul. Pushes, pulls and strikes should be defended against with equal time being split between them.

5. Deh Ryun. Sparring exercises should flow directly from ho sin shul. The instructor should carefully remove rules and regulations until a freer flowing and randomized drill is conceived. The student as deemed by the instructor should wear various forms of protective equipment. All levels of distance should be explored in sparring. Striking distances, clinching, randori, and wrestling should be explored.

As part of deh ryun, a newaza (wrestling) curriculum should be introduced for students. This aspect need not be comprehensive as the study of wrestling runs counter to the spirit of hyung application. However, as mentioned above, traditionally, the study of karate assumed some knowledge of grappling. This gap needs to be filled in a well-rounded Tang Soo Do curriculum.

Newaza concepts such as balance, position, escapes, pins and submissions should be taught. Striking on the ground should also be taught as many hyung specifically show how to do this. This, however, should be expanded to specifically include all wrestling positions.

6. Kyok Pa. Breaking various materials should be explored in order to test a student’s power and conditioning. This aspect of practice should specifically focus on strikes practiced in hyungs.

A full description of the curricular elements, teaching methodologies and a suggestion for rank requirements can be found in my book, The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do. It is available here…

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=4328395

Figure 1 - This is a photo of Chotoku Kyan and students. Notice the weight training implements at their feet.

Figure 2 - This is a photo of some of the conditioning equipment that is put into use in my studio.

Figure 3 - Impact training of basic techniques is a very important form of conditioning.

Latest Discussions