Training at work – ideas

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am looking for ways to train at work, if for all intensive purposes you are a desk jockey.

I do have an office and I can shut the door and do from time to time and this allows some time to do things like Siu Nim Tao, the Qi Gong of my taijiquan, stationary chansigong, pushups, and even a bit of chair yoga and on rare occasion some standing yoga but I really can’t get to much into training hard at work since I still have to deal with people directly and go to the occasional (albeit annoying) meeting and changing clothes is not an option. I also try and go for walks at lunch and I do not do all this every day, I do what I can fit in. Sadly, as unreasonable as this may sound, they still expect me to do my job even though it gets in the way of training :uhyeah:

I am basically curious as to what others do that do not have a physical job or that do not teach MA as their job, while at work to add to their training and I guess I am looking for more ideas.

Or is it that I am just Martial Arts Crazy like my wife tells everyone and I should just shut up and sit down.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my cube... kinda hard, but I have been "noticed" attending teleconferences in standing postures on my head set.

I also will make the occasional visit to the men's room with hands moving about in techniques or set segments or whatever.

Of course the elevator is game on for moving about like a Hong Kong movie until I hear a "ding" for more people getting on or reaching the lobby.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago, I would train my iron forearm while at work. It didn't take too much time away from my work and it wasn't too disruptive. Since I made it a point to do it at work only, and not at home, I would end up training iron forearm 5 days per week. Worked out nicely and I was much more motivated to slack off of work for a few minutes to train, rather than go home and get all unmotivated in front of my tv. :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to have opportunities to close the door to my office and practice a little at work. Granted my office isn't very big, but I'm still able to do bits and pieces of my forms and sparring segments. Of course I do look a little funny when I have to answer the door and I'm out of breath :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would do different things at different jobs I had.

In the Sears warehouse I would practice ukemi and bo kata with a broom. I would get the old refridgerator boxes and practice shurikenjutsu with screwdrivers.

When sitting in a office during case management for clients and when I'm in meetings I practice awareness mostly.

Walking anywhere I try to practice the silent walking techniques and moving from my center and not just my legs and practice proper posture.

When speaking with people I practice standing at proper distance. When people do look I practice pivoting in a circle.

If I have my knife with me I practice pulling it off my belt and opening it in one motion...when no one is around of course.

At the YMCA, sometimes there is junk wood left over from building shelves and before I throw it away I practice breaking if they are the right size.

I do a lot of visualization exercises as well.

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
During work I don't have much room to do anything so at lunch I go to the lobby in the building next door and practice forms. The lobby is rather large and rarely used by anyone, though lots of people pass by and some stare at what I'm doing. During the late Spring through early Autumn I go outside at lunch and practice.

Fyn

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your building has an underground parking lot, you can often find spots in the parking lot that aren't as heavily trafficked, and practice there.

I've put in a lot of training hours that way.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My new job has an "employees only" room with a little floor space and a comfychair just for relaxing. I haven't used it yet, but I expect to at some point. After all, the room is for relaxing and re-centering, but they don't specify how we're supposed to do that right?

:jediduel:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides... I thought XueFu was beyond the limits of space and time!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work in an open office space. the only thing I can generally do here without attracting too much attention is tretching my legs, doing the occasional 'chin to the shin' stretch, etc.
During my lunch break I sometimes find myself a secluded corner in the plant utility area where noone is usually around, and spend 15 minutes doing kihon, concentrating on slow movements and continuous balance. That way I don't get too sweaty and I've noticed it improve my form.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have an office that I can close the door on so I can get a little privacy when there.

I have a couple of metal plates that I can do a quick set of pushups on or bodyweight squats.

I also have the "Captains of Crush" handgrippers to use and "power putty" to strengthen hands and fingers.

We also have a couple empty rooms that I can work forms on.

While I'm out on patrol, the sky is the limit, there are alot of rural areas to make a quick stop while on break and do some stuff. It really helps getting out of the car anyways and get moving.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my cube... kinda hard, but I have been "noticed" attending teleconferences in standing postures on my head set.

I also will make the occasional visit to the men's room with hands moving about in techniques or set segments or whatever.

Of course the elevator is game on for moving about like a Hong Kong movie until I hear a "ding" for more people getting on or reaching the lobby.

Glad I'm not the only one who races to see if I can do a form before my stop. LOL

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol, I work on elevators, I stop them in mid flight and have practiced before. But I used to wire controllers in different stances. Haha, I did find out a couple elevators had cameras in them!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well...at my next job, I plan on practicing forms, sparring, self defense, kicks, hand techniques, breaking and anything else I feel like. :)

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I've found that light stretching, isometrics, or calisthenics are a great way!! Unfortuntely we don't have a punching bag at the station, otherwise I'd be on that in-between calls. But handgrippers work well, a cushion ball, a heavy book, meditation, or even standing on one leg for a few moments then switching. Or perhaps taking the stairs instead of the elevator...

If your truly lucky you could challenge your boss in a match of boxing, but then you might be in trouble if you win!!