Ideas on Martial Arts Home Work-Out Regiment?

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!
So, I am in Tae Kwon Do and am currently a Brown Belt. Getting into the upper levels has, naturally, pushed me to practice and work out more and more outside of class. I live on a farm currently, and have a heavy bag set up in my hay barn. I go up there to work out, and use the bag, plus hay bales make great targets for kicking! :)
But I am having trouble designing a sort of routine I can stick to week by week. I am thinking something like 5-6 days work out with either 1-2 rest days scattered throughout (perhaps one of the "rest days" being a day I have class anyway?). I would like ideas on good workouts and stretches for Martial Arts, and preferably exercises that do not require weights (I may have a few free weights lying around, but not many) or other equipment.
Also, I would appreciate thoughts on how to break down the days, for example, sets of exercises I might do one day all on leg muscles, than another all on arm muscles, or perhaps one day focusing on endurance, or one day focusing on a particular Martial Arts technique. I don't need specifics, I understand I am posting this in General, and I can work out my own specifics for my material I have. What I would really like is feedback and ideas on exercises and how to break this all down. What makes a good work out routine? What "breaks" one?
Thanks all for your time- I look forward to feedback!

-Lee

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some good ideas for you :)

Here is a re-quote from my board http://excoboard.com/martialwarrior/148253/1804203

What is a pyramid? Glad you asked

Simply pick several exercises. My latest pyramid routine used the following, in this order;

• Regular squat
  • Plea squat
  • Lunge
  • Calf raise
  • Push up w/push up stands
  • Pull up or chin up
  • Dip
  • Hanging crunch

Now what you do is perform 1 of each exercise with good form. When you have completed each for 1 rep, you repeat and do 2 of each, and then 3 of each and on up to your target number. Once you've reached your target, you then begin down the pyramid by decreasing the number of reps in each set. A pyramid of 1 - 5 - 1 would look like this;

1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 for a total of 25 of each exercise. Going 1-10-1 would = 100. 1-20-1 would equal 400 of each. My personal best so far is 1-17-1.

This is a great program as it has built in a natural warm up and a cool down. You work throughout various rep ranges and it has a pre-exhaust as well.

Give it a try.

Being on a farm you may have several things that you can use for dips, pull ups, hanging crunches etc. Or pick your own number of things and add new ones. I promise it is a good workout!!! Keep a log as it provides motivation and accountability. Do 3xweek every other day.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do has some good suggestions. I have always thought a good idea was the warmup/conditioning you use at your dojo. In my school we first stretched, then did 8 repititions of each of our kicks. We then individually did our kicks against focus pads held by our GM. He would then give us a series of kicks which we did individually in turn. I have not been active for a little over ten years and and trying to get back in some kind of stretch and good shape. It hurts. But the main thing is to set up some routine that works for you, and stick with it. You can of course make some modifications to prevent boredome or emphasize something you need work on.

Oh, be careful of that first set Kong Soo Do recommended. Raising a calf every day for someone on a farm can be dangerous.
biggrin.gif

OP
Lee Ch'a

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, be careful of that first set Kong Soo Do recommended. Raising a calf every day for someone on a farm can be dangerous.
biggrin.gif

Haha...ha..ha. But really, I did chuckle aloud at that one. There's an idea- laughter for exercise.. I read somewhere that laughing for ten seconds equals three minutes of strenuous rowing.. or something ridiculous like that. Maybe you should all just suggest jokes for me to tell myself, and then I can get ripped abs that way ;)

But seriously, thank you all for the great suggestions and ideas! I will certainly be utilizing this advice, and continue researching until I am satisfied with my workout schedule.

-Lee

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen Amir Khand Reebok workout challenge - its free and is pretty challenging - it has lots of exercises that you don't need weights...do a search you'll find it.