Train MA for self-cultivation

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some CMA teachers love to talk about Wude such as:

- 尊师重道 Respect teacher and respect the truth.
- 孝悌正义 Love parents and promote justice.
- 扶危济贫 Save the weak and help the poor.
- 除暴安良 Remove the evil and preserve the good.

The question is how?

You have to

- earn money first before you can share your money to the poor.
- develop your MA skill first before you can fight against evil.
I'm confused - was that an answer to my question of whether anything can do that, or are you back to questioning whether MA, specifically, can do that.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm confused - was that an answer to my question of whether anything can do that, or are you back to questioning whether MA, specifically, can do that.
My question is how?

How to save the weak and help the poor? How to remove the evil and preserve the good? I like to see action. I don't like empty words.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is how?

How to save the weak and help the poor? How to remove the evil and preserve the good? I like to see action. I don't like empty words.
Yes, and "how" was a question I asked. You asked if MA could do these things. I asked if any pursuit could help do those things, and if so...how. I think we'd have to start from there. If we can't come up with a way to get there, at all, then there's not much sense wondering if MA, specifically, can.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought MA training is as simple as

- fist meet face, and
- head meet earth.

When someone says, "I train MA for self-cultivation", What does he mean?

I have Googled and get this, "Self-cultivation or personal cultivation is the development of one's mind or capacities through one's own efforts."

I understand each and every word, but I have no idea what the whole sentence is talking about (my IQ score is 145).

Your thought?

View attachment 26892
View attachment 26893
IQ is not the issue, heart/mind is.
training only for the purpose of Self Defense
is training in fear.
Training to learn to harm others with out
compassion is detrimental to the spirit and
Psyche .
We should not live in fear or without compassion.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
My question is how?

IMO, we can not do these things for others, they must be lead and taught to do this for their selves. Life is a balance of opposites, remove evil here and it will grow in another place, we can counter act evil with love and compassion, this maintains a path the novice can walk between two forces , That path is the Way of the Martial Artist

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IQ is not the issue, heart/mind is.
is training in fear.
Training to learn to harm others with out
compassion is detrimental to the spirit and
Psyche .
We should not live in fear or without compassion.
If you don't learn to fight without compassion then you won't be able to do the terrible acts of violence.

Training only for self defense doesn't men you are in fear. It means you are prepared. Very few train self defense out of fear. Do you wear a seat belt out of fear?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
is training in fear.
- To remove a mountain, you don't do it because you "can't do it".
- To pick up a tree branch for the elder, you don't do it because you "don't want to do it".

There is a big difference between "can't do it" and "don't want to do it".

MA training is to achieve "you can do it". Whether "you want to do it" or not will be up to you.

It's not honest to say that "I don't want violence" because "I don't have the ability to deal with the violence".

When a country has nuclear warhead, that country can then say, "I want world peace".

I just watched this movie last night. When he said, "I don't want any trouble", he truly didn't want any trouble. But when problem came to him, he could handle that problem with his MA training.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- To pick up a tree branch for the elder, you don't do it because you "don't want to do it".

MA training is to achieve "you can do it". Whether "you want to do it" or not will be up to you.

It's not honest to say that "I don't want violence" because "I don't have the ability to deal with the violence".

When a country has nuclear warhead, that country can then say, "I want world peace".
:oops:

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you be a better person whenever you train MA, you keep telling yourself the following:

"For heaven and earth, for the people, for the saints of the past to continue learning, for all ages to safeguard world peace."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I just watched this movie last night. When he said, "I don't want any trouble", he truly didn't want any trouble. But when problem came to him, he could handle that problem with his MA training.

I really liked that movie.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is the whole philosophy behind the quote in my signature: "A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it". If you are able to fight, you can choose not to fight, but be ready if the fight comes to you anyway. If you can't, you don't have that choice and just have to pray violence will not come.

Also I agree with Buka. Great movie.

Latest Discussions