Tracy's Kenpo Staff Sets Question

S

Seminerio

A post on another forum got me going on this. I've read that the Tracy's have 3 staff sets in their system. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about them? The names, Dark Room and Skylight are curious, where do they come from? Does anyone have them written out?

Any info about them would be great.

Cliff Seminerio

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Darkroom staff is a relative basic form or kata. It defends against attacks from 4 direction within darken room environment. Skylight staff set is more advanced using more counter offensive movements. The third staff set is more Shaolin, the first two are more Okinawan in nature. You may purchase video tapes of the Staff Sets in question through Al Tracy's website.

Good Luck,

Dave Simmons:wink1:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
Hi,

Darkroom staff is a relative basic form or kata. It defends against attacks from 4 direction within darken room environment. Skylight staff set is more advanced using more counter offensive movements. The third staff set is more Shaolin, the first two are more Okinawan in nature. You may purchase video tapes of the Staff Sets in question through Al Tracy's website.

Good Luck,

Dave Simmons:wink1:

Hi Folks!
From What I've seen of both sets from the video tapes from the Tracys and past experience in northern and southern chinese staff sets, I can vouch for both of those sets being distinctly chinese, not okinawan.
I'll double check on the weapon set tapes i've got and elaborate on it!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
www.rebeloskenpokarate.com

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kenpo Joe,

The third set was taught first in the "old" days. It is definitely "chinese" in performance. Dark Room and Skylight have roots in China via Okinawa flavor. Skylight is more power oriented, Darkroom is a basic staff handling set.

Dave Simmons

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dave Simmons
Hi Kenpo Joe,

The third set was taught first in the "old" days. It is definitely "chinese" in performance. Dark Room and Skylight have roots in China via Okinawa flavor. Skylight is more power oriented, Darkroom is a basic staff handling set.

Dave Simmons

Hi Dave!
Again, as I stated previously, the sets Darkroom staff and Skylight staff forms are Chinese, not Okinawan. You are mistaking the southern Kung Fu single head staff aspects with later Okinawan katas, but the is little to no direct correlation between the forms.
I haven't had the chance to look over the tapes today but i'll make a point of it tonight!
Nice to hear from you!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

You are correct regarding the origins history! I was looking at recent adaptations especially Skylight Staff. Really I believe it is geared toward developing power and more 'direct' strikes etc.

Also Merry Christmas to you and your family.

God Bless,

Dave Simmons
http://www.mnkenpo.com