Towns in Sandy's path did little to prepare for floods

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Towns in Sandy's path did little to prepare for floods[/h]Thomas Frank and Brad Heath, USA TODAY EXCERPT:
12:01AM EDT November 1. 2012 - Many coastal cities and towns slammed by Hurricane Sandy have done little to protect themselves from flood damage, ignoring federal incentives even as they have been flooded repeatedly, a USA TODAY analysis of federal records shows.

More than 100 municipalities in areas that were declared a federal emergency this week have received the worst ratings from Washington under a program that rewards communities for trying to minimize flood damage.
Roughly 1,000 communities across the U.S. have won discounts of 10% or more for their property owners through the program.
But in New Jersey, for example, coastal communities such as Sea Bright, Lacey, Barnegat and Ocean Township get no discounts because they took either minimal or no flood-prevention action and received the worst insurance rating, federal records show.
END EXCERPT
How freaking dumb do you have to be?
Here in California, earthquakes strike without warning. They KNEW A HURRICANE WAS COMING FOR DAYS AHEAD OF TIME and DID NOTHING!

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Being from New York State this isn't surprising, people don't comprehend or accept what hurricane implies, hurricanes are things that happen in to New Orleans (where I live now). They are bad storms to most people up their. My family is like this.

People down here who have never experienced a real snow storm are the same I took some family back home. They were shocked at what we considered a small storm. Terrified if the car slipped a few inches on the road. Dresses in some sort of ice age inducing storm.

~Rob

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why did the National Hurricane Center, part of NOAA, not issue any hurricane warnings north of North Carolina, and did this affect deployment of any resources?