I.R.S. as health care clerk...oh joy!

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, in 2014, the I.R.S. will become the nations healthcare clerks. You will have to submit your healthcare plan information to the I.R.S. each year...

http://www.atr.org/new-obamacare-tax-form-mandates-americans-a7285

As confirmed by IRS testimony to the tax-writing House Committee on Ways and Means, “taxpayers will file their tax returns reporting their health insurance coverage, and/or making a payment”.
So why will the Obama IRS require your personal identifying health information?
Simply put, there is no way for the IRS to enforce Obamacare’s individual mandate without such an invasive reporting scheme. Every January, health insurance companies across America will send out tax documents to each insured individual. This tax document—a copy of which will be furnished to the IRS—must contain sufficient information for taxpayers to prove that they purchased qualifying health insurance under Obamacare.
This new tax information document must, at a minimum, contain: the name and health insurance identification number of the taxpayer; the name and tax identification number of the health insurance company; the number of months the taxpayer was covered by this insurance plan; and whether or not the plan was purchased in one of Obamacare’s “exchanges.”
This will involve millions of new tax documents landing in mailboxes across America every January, along with the usual raft of W-2s, 1099s, and 1098s. At tax time, the 140 million families who file a tax return will have to get acquainted with a brand new tax filing form. Six million of these families will end up paying Obamacare’s individual mandate non-compliance tax penalty.

Happy, happy, joy, joy...

Read more: http://atr.org/new-obamacare-tax-form-mandates-americans-a7285#ixzz2B0jdbUhU

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
So every year you will recieve a piece of paper that you mail in with your tax return. That means the IRS will be doing the same dang thing they have always done, make sure your paperwork mirrors your return. There are things that are worrisome about Obamacare. This isn't one of them.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait until at least Jan 1st. The Mayan's might still have a chance. ;)

But seriously, the IRS can't get the current tax code right. They even tell you that advice given by their representatives isn't to be relied on to be accurate in case of an audit. So, I have a hard time thinking that making things even more complicated for a bunch of confused people isn't a good thing. That's why I like the pre-1913 income tax system better. It was a lot simpler then.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait until at least Jan 1st. The Mayan's might still have a chance. ;)

But seriously, the IRS can't get the current tax code right. They even tell you that advice given by their representatives isn't to be relied on to be accurate in case of an audit. So, I have a hard time thinking that making things even more complicated for a bunch of confused people isn't a good thing. That's why I like the pre-1913 income tax system better. It was a lot simpler then.

Drop the loopholes and weasel points out of the tax code. Redefine "income" recognizing that many people don't get income from salaries and wages so that we eliminate the guy making almost nothing salary-wise -- but getting millions through dividends and other non-salary remuneration. (I know, oversimplifying. I'm not an accountant.) Make it a simple, straight percentage. I do think that a progressive tax is appropriate and necessary, but it shouldn't be so sharply progressive that it encourages new game playing to avoid paying taxes. And, yeah, there should probably be some folks who are exempt or nearly exempt at the bottom. I'm kind of in favor a national sales tax, so that EVERYBODY contributes in an absolute manner. Maybe 1 or 2 percent on everything; no exceptions. Keep things simple, and that lets you keep the rate down.

Oh... and penalize the damn Congress when they don't pass a budget. (There's actually a pretty good argument that the feds running a balanced budget is actually bad for the economy. I can't find the article right now -- but it showed that every time we've had a surplus or non-deficit federally, the economy has crashed.)

Latest Discussions