tournaments and sparring

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
#1. Advice for a rt. lead fighter against a lt. lead who just pops up a high side chamber and waits?

#2. Where are tournaments going today? Why are they becoming so expensive as to take them out of the realm of most families with several kids? Also, what is with putting high money rewards on black belt fighting and fighting grands? It seems as though they just want to take it from sport karate to let's attrack the pros for high money prizes?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the cost of putting on tournament have isen over the years with the cost of a venue and the cost of Insurance it has just increased the overall cost of everything.

As far as your first question someone that is holding the chamber leg up just attack the weakside.

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score
good friggen lord. i wrote a whole two paragraphs about a right reverse punch chamber ready to fire, to reread the two posts and find out its a roundhouse kick. haha, well thats a different story.

sidekick. CONSTANTLY. get him off balance. roundhouse kick to the back of the head is great too, but you must get the knee up higher than his. if you miss, follow with aggressive punches...dont let him get his kick off. after a few points he'll realize its futile and will move on to something else. i wouldnt suggest to punch at all, seeing as how his chamber is already set...and when kicking, thats the thing that takes the longest time (and the best chance to attack before he can kick).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Crash that kick with a high raised right knee with your shin leading and your hands high, and land jamming your leg against the back of of theirs. Defensive sidekicks will usually result in him turning away and giving up his back, so pop him a couple of timesi in the back of the head. If he is an um, unpleasent person, drop that right knee against the top of his thigh for a charlie horse.

My other answer is to pop him in the groin with a front kick, but that isn't allowed on alot of circuits anymore, which is a pity because it keeps the kickers honest. Thankfully, groin shots are still allowed on our circuit.

Lamont

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crash that kick with a high raised right knee with your shin leading and your hands high, and land jamming your leg against the back of of theirs. Defensive sidekicks will usually result in him turning away and giving up his back, so pop him a couple of timesi in the back of the head. If he is an um, unpleasent person, drop that right knee against the top of his thigh for a charlie horse.

My other answer is to pop him in the groin with a front kick, but that isn't allowed on alot of circuits anymore, which is a pity because it keeps the kickers honest. Thankfully, groin shots are still allowed on our circuit.

Lamont

1) Side kick to front knee of the plant leg
2) Square up and using same kicking leg, thrust kick to groin
3) Landing forward, drop both elbows straight into his bent-over spine.

Oh, wait,...did you say point sparring? Can't use real moves then. My bad. Disregard this. :ultracool

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Feint an advance to sucker the side-kick out.

Your opponent has made the mistake of telegraphing his next move. You know that he will attempt to sidekick you if you move into range.

So move into range for a split second, and watch that sidekick come flying out. When it does, deal with it however you feel is appropriate.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
#1. Advice for a rt. lead fighter against a lt. lead who just pops up a high side chamber and waits?

Pay attention to angles. They are what are going to decide who wins and who looses.

It's the same as in ground fighting, if I am mounted, you are in a bad position, I am in a good one.

Standup fighting is no different, there are advantages positions, and disadvantages ones, they just aren't as clear at first glance.

Stand in front of an opponent, guard up and look. Just look, what can you hit, how must he react to block? What can you force him to do? Now take a step to the right with him not moving, same things, what can you do, what can he do? What has changed? What now works better for you then him? Other way around? How must he move to compensate, or you depending on who is in the weaker position.

Control the angles, and undertand how your opponent must react when certain things are done at certain angles. Stay in a dominate position and force him to react in a way that you can predict, and use that against him in combinations.

That's all pretty general, but that is what you need to think about. I don't know what rules you fight under, and it really doesn't matter. We might be able to tell you a few specific things (circle to the outside) but until you start seeing why it won't help nearly as much ;)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Pay attention to angles. They are what are going to decide who wins and who looses.

It's the same as in ground fighting, if I am mounted, you are in a bad position, I am in a good one.

Standup fighting is no different, there are advantages positions, and disadvantages ones, they just aren't as clear at first glance.

Stand in front of an opponent, guard up and look. Just look, what can you hit, how must he react to block? What can you force him to do? Now take a step to the right with him not moving, same things, what can you do, what can he do? What has changed? What now works better for you then him? Other way around? How must he move to compensate, or you depending on who is in the weaker position.

Control the angles, and undertand how your opponent must react when certain things are done at certain angles. Stay in a dominate position and force him to react in a way that you can predict, and use that against him in combinations.

That's all pretty general, but that is what you need to think about. I don't know what rules you fight under, and it really doesn't matter. We might be able to tell you a few specific things (circle to the outside) but until you start seeing why it won't help nearly as much ;)

Excellent advice.

He's already up on one leg and you know what he wants to do. Thats half the battle. Bait him on that kick and counter the angle to his cold side. A couple of shot to the ol baby backs will help him see the er of his ways.
Just don't attack him head on and play his game you have to fight your own fight.

_Marc-

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No matter wheat you do remember one of the first things you are taught in class Be preparred to block and counter

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score

Lamont

yes, that sounds real honest. and controlled too, actually. i hope that guy really built up his groin muscles to withstand a kick there. oh wait, you cant. maybe thats why you arent allowed to hit to the groin in so many circuits...except yours, which ive never heard of before.

no charlie horses either, please. this IS point sparring after all, use control and tactics, not brute force which will make him leave with a limp. you should win 10 to 0, not 6 to 5 and he has a charlie horse.

the pop to the back of the head is good too; adept's and andrew's advice cover the rest.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
yes, that sounds real honest. and controlled too, actually. i hope that guy really built up his groin muscles to withstand a kick there. oh wait, you cant. maybe thats why you arent allowed to hit to the groin in so many circuits...except yours, which ive never heard of before.

no charlie horses either, please. this IS point sparring after all, use control and tactics, not brute force which will make him leave with a limp. you should win 10 to 0, not 6 to 5 and he has a charlie horse.

the pop to the back of the head is good too; adept's and andrew's advice cover the rest.

As of a couple of years ago the NBL allowed groin kicks (I have no idea what the rules are now), actually at the time they would run on alternating years, one year groin was in, the next it was out. You would have guys at the supergrands whose entire strategy was to chase you around on one leg while flipping kicks out with the other, they only competed on years where groin was out. I used to compete with the EKL which is a pretty small circuit. There is nothing dishonest about a groin kick if it within the rules, and I can control a groin kick just as easily as I can a high kick. The American Kenpo divisions at the Anaheim Disney Martial Arts Festival also permitted groin shots, last year you could see how the east coast fighters weren't used to it. I hit my first opponent four times in a row, he later told me "you made me lower my leg." Ya think....

What circuits do you compete in? Are you telling me you've never "stuck" a sidekick to make the guy think twice about jumping in with that backfist, and I said only to drop that knee if the guy was being an ***.

Lamont

OP
K

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. Usually compete in The KRANE circuit. Groin kicks not allowed.

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score
As of a couple of years ago the NBL allowed groin kicks (I have no idea what the rules are now), actually at the time they would run on alternating years, one year groin was in, the next it was out. You would have guys at the supergrands whose entire strategy was to chase you around on one leg while flipping kicks out with the other, they only competed on years where groin was out. I used to compete with the EKL which is a pretty small circuit. There is nothing dishonest about a groin kick if it within the rules, and I can control a groin kick just as easily as I can a high kick. The American Kenpo divisions at the Anaheim Disney Martial Arts Festival also permitted groin shots, last year you could see how the east coast fighters weren't used to it. I hit my first opponent four times in a row, he later told me "you made me lower my leg." Ya think....

What circuits do you compete in? Are you telling me you've never "stuck" a sidekick to make the guy think twice about jumping in with that backfist, and I said only to drop that knee if the guy was being an ***.

Lamont

i understand the knee if the guy was being an ***...i think the judges would shake that off ;)

i was surprised when you mentioned NBL and the supergrands. i thought you were going to mention groups ive never heard of, maybe west coast groups or something...i went to the supergrands this year, it was in rochester i believe. or buffalo, or between there....whatever, at a big hotel, it was really nice. i read over all the rules, i remember seeing no groin kicks. i wasnt aware they cycled that rule every other year lol, ill watch out next year (and wear my cup =X).

never stuck a sidekick on a guy that kept coming in on me...my reverse punch is as solid as my kick is. thats probably a good thing and a bad thing, but im just not used to kicking yet...damn crescent kicks to the head, i gotta watch out for em lol, i cant do the same. the last tournament i was in was the IFMA tourney in batavia, new york...lost both rounds, but i had the guy who won 1st tied at one point in our match. of course id spar the guy who won 1st...my luck is great ;) good learning experience though.

for some reason i just cant see a groin kick as controlled and useable...maybe because im thinking of a WOT, gut wrenching groin kick, and not a tap like it could be...never seen it before. aaand....*does and downloads american kenpo division tapes* =P

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they still cycle the targets like that, its been 10 years since I competed regularly on the NBL/SKITA circuit. The 2004 SKITA rulebook still lists the groin as an optional target though.

At that Anaheim tournament between rounds I was talking with one of the corner judges for my sparring division (he is a rather well known kenpo guy) and he was saying "you've got to POP that cup, this is the West Coast!" So I did. :D

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something I've used effectively in this situation is:

a hard, aggressive block to the raised leg — hard enough to disrupt their balance — immediately followed by a reverse punch.

YMMV, but it has always worked for me and generally discourages them from hopping around on one leg.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
true tournaments are getting more exspensive, the reason is money, the more money some people make the happier they are, and the reason for high black bet grands and prizes is like you said, if you get somne of the professionals in the tournament again more money