Tournament time..... :)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Decided..... not to compete. Have been sick with a bad infection and it's going to be a crazy busy week, so it would be pushing it.

And I am strangely... at peace with it. I'm going to keep my focus on finding a dojo when all settles down these next two weeks and I recover okay. That's really my priority, so I'm okay with things. I'm a bit over feeling sorry for myself and getting depressed when I miss out on things due to health. When I'm ready I'm ready. But once I'm better I'm jumping into training!

I'll go up and watch the Nationals in December and do much observing and notetaking :). There's always next year to compete!
One of the hardest things to do is to say no to ourselves when it comes to doing something we love. You have a good outlook so I wish you the best for a speedy recovery and back to training as you want to train.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the hardest things to do is to say no to ourselves when it comes to doing something we love. You have a good outlook so I wish you the best for a speedy recovery and back to training as you want to train.
Thank you so much :)

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Decided..... not to compete. Have been sick with a bad infection and it's going to be a crazy busy week, so it would be pushing it.

And I am strangely... at peace with it. I'm going to keep my focus on finding a dojo when all settles down these next two weeks and I recover okay. That's really my priority, so I'm okay with things. I'm a bit over feeling sorry for myself and getting depressed when I miss out on things due to health. When I'm ready I'm ready. But once I'm better I'm jumping into training!

I'll go up and watch the Nationals in December and do much observing and notetaking :). There's always next year to compete!

I haven’t been in the forum much so I’m late to reply but this definitely sounds like the best decision for long term participation. I’m sorry you had to miss out but I hope you are able to recover quickly and get back into things soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven’t been in the forum much so I’m late to reply but this definitely sounds like the best decision for long term participation. I’m sorry you had to miss out but I hope you are able to recover quickly and get back into things soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much Michele, appreciate your kind thoughts. Yeah me too.. life has been insane of late, but looking forward to getting back into it all hopefully soon..

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have respect for all who compete. I did some but I don't anymore.
Yeah me too Bill. And it's a relatively new scene for me. I never started competing with the intention of getting gold medals etc, but I really love what skills it develops, the mindset work, and the genuine fun, community and comraderie with people who share the same interests and meeting new martial artists. The learning you go through is amazing leading up to a tournament, and eventually I did develop a burning to try and win the tournament, but moreso as a means to push myself to develop as a martial artist.

Ahh am feeling the bug now ;P

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently watching the National titles and will be back tomorrow. Has been great, it's mainly forms, team forms, weapons, demonstrations, and continuous sparring divisions. Point sparring tomorrow.

Has been a good learning experience. Part of me wants to jump in there still haha.

It's amazing watching the doubt people have in themselves and their techniques, and how it affects not only their accuracy in technique and power, but whole body structure and balance. That belief in themselves operating and perceiving themselves from the centre of that doubt, there's a slight pulling back and their whole system follows suit. You can see it in their face, eyes and posture.

The mental side of the whole thing is fascinating, and learning and understanding that in doing tournaments would be a massive benefit in itself!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Currently watching the National titles and will be back tomorrow. Has been great, it's mainly forms, team forms, weapons, demonstrations, and continuous sparring divisions. Point sparring tomorrow.

Has been a good learning experience. Part of me wants to jump in there still haha.

It's amazing watching the doubt people have in themselves and their techniques, and how it affects not only their accuracy in technique and power, but whole body structure and balance. That belief in themselves operating and perceiving themselves from the centre of that doubt, there's a slight pulling back and their whole system follows suit. You can see it in their face, eyes and posture.

The mental side of the whole thing is fascinating, and learning and understanding that in doing tournaments would be a massive benefit in itself!
Excellent observations and very well said.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob finally was able to compete again.

Small tournament today. Just kata and sparring (only 2 matches). But he was happy to be back competing.

Oh that's so awesome, he must have been itching to compete again! Great to hear! I miss it too actually!

Yeah I haven't heard any word at all about tournaments starting up again here... they usually draw pretty big crowds, but that being said we've been in an amazing position covid-wise the last few months so we'll see.

But they're still planning on holding the tennis (Australian Open) in Melbourne in a few weeks (albeit with limited zone seating and pod-like arrangements for spectators!).

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh that's so awesome, he must have been itching to compete again! Great to hear! I miss it too actually!

Yeah I haven't heard any word at all about tournaments starting up again here... they usually draw pretty big crowds, but that being said we've been in an amazing position covid-wise the last few months so we'll see.

But they're still planning on holding the tennis (Australian Open) in Melbourne in a few weeks (albeit with limited zone seating and pod-like arrangements for spectators!).

Hopefully you can get back to competing soon.

You're always welcomed to come over here to the U.S. and compete with us....

It will be interesting to see how many competitors return to competition this year. I know of 1 school that competed that permanently closed during the pandemic.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it was a joke. :) How many students attended the school? What happened to them? Did they switch to other schools?

It was a small school. Only 5-7 competed. Not sure what the other students are doing. My son's friend who trained there switched to another school and style (actually switched to the same style my son trains in).

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It was a small school. Only 5-7 competed. Not sure what the other students are doing. My son's friend who trained there switched to another school and style (actually switched to the same style my son trains in).
Nice! Now they can train together! May I ask which Style your son is studying?

Latest Discussions