Tournament time..... :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
How does the scoring work with non contact?

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad it went well for you! Was the tournament sparring only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad it went well for you! Was the tournament sparring only?

Yeah it was only sparring. Wish there was a forms division as well! But just the noncontact in the morning, and full contact/knockdown in the afternoon.
How does the scoring work with non contact?
There are four corner judges and one head judge. I believe the judges have clickers. An ippon (full point) is awarded for a clear decisive kick to the head or body, and it can't have been partially blocked or avoided; also if a strong clean well placed fist combination that is not even partially blocked gets an ippon.

A waza-ari (half point) is awarded for: fist strike to body, round kick to outside of thigh, a clear kick to the head that wasn't blocked effectively (so partially blocked or attempted block but it got through).

Each technique only scores if it has:

1) Good form
2) Strong application
3) Correct timing
4) Correct distance
5) Good focus

Obviously noncontact is basically techniques that are controlled and pulled just short of the target. Warnings/penalties are issued for any contact to the head or face, or excessive contact to the body. There are also a few other prohibited techniques and behaviours.

Rounds are one and a half to two minutes-ish.

The knockdown division is a whole other beast altogether haha.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
All-styles tournament approaching in about 4 weeks! Gonna enter the kata/forms and point sparring. They also have continuous sparring available, but honestly i really love the point sparring and find it a really exciting format. Again like the last tournament, I'm taking a much more relaxed approach, doing some extra days of training at home but really just making sure I'm doing it because enjoying it. If I place and qualify for the State titles, then I'll ramp up the training a bit more.

The tourney organisation is holding a special Point Sparring Seminar this Sunday for people competing in my state with Sensei Bruce Hyland, a very renowned 7th Dan instructor and also coach for many successful competitors. Only about an hour and a half drive or so. I've signed up, really looking forward to it!

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
All-styles tournament approaching in about 4 weeks! Gonna enter the kata/forms and point sparring. They also have continuous sparring available, but honestly i really love the point sparring and find it a really exciting format. Again like the last tournament, I'm taking a much more relaxed approach, doing some extra days of training at home but really just making sure I'm doing it because enjoying it. If I place and qualify for the State titles, then I'll ramp up the training a bit more.

The tourney organisation is holding a special Point Sparring Seminar this Sunday for people competing in my state with Sensei Bruce Hyland, a very renowned 7th Dan instructor and also coach for many successful competitors. Only about an hour and a half drive or so. I've signed up, really looking forward to it!

That sounds really neat! I hope you enjoy it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simon,

That's great news!

Competition often crosses my mind. There is definitely something about competition that causes a guy to want to push it just a little bit harder. Not since high school wrestling have I been involved in competitive sports. But I like to compete against myself. And perhaps I will find a bit of competition right here in this forum.

I have a big network engineering test coming up on 4/24 for my job.

I also am in a very relaxed preparation mode.

I am using Cisco Spark live chat application to study with other serious candidates online. I think bantering about with other serious students does add a bit of a competitive aspect. But just as here, there are individuals there from all levels of readiness and weight class. Many are much farther ahead of me in that game, and I suppose many are behind me in the quest for that diamond. But it's fun to chat with others who are working on the same goal.

It is the highest and most respected certification in the telecommunications industry. Cisco CCIE. A great challenge.

Also I have lost 130 lbs over the last year. I am watching Kung Fu videos and doing a push ups, kicking, squats, treadmill, weights workout routine 3 times per week.

I like the Kung Fu philosophy and have been a Kung Fu television program fan since I was a kid. Now 55 years old. 6' 4" 170 lbs. Was 286. Went down to 158 using fasting program. So I can eat good for a couple of weeks. Now working back down again so I can eat good for another couple of weeks. I always eat good, it's just a matter of how many calories I allow myself to consume.

Thanks to everybody for being here and I'm hoping to learn much and kick up my training game a notch or two in the process.

Let's go get 'em guys!

Doug Kenline
Reston, Virginia

Decided on short notice to enter a tournament in three weeks time on the 29th. It's the State championships Kyokushin tournament, they have the noncontact in the morning and the full contact/knockdown in the afternoon. I'll be competing in the noncontact (light contact to body), and not sure yet what divisions there are.

It's continuous sparring format (2 minute rounds) which I've never competed in before so should be interesting and a great experience. I definitely prefer point sparring and love that style of competition, but I figure this tournament will help a bit in preparing for the other ones I want to enter later in the year.

Three weeks only to prep haha, but I'm not gonna take it too seriously. I'll up my training a little bit and do what I can, but definitely going to be a very relaxed preparation.

Looking forward to it :)

P.S. I'll post my other tournaments I enter here too just for funsies.
Good luck Simon. Remember, it not a point/stop match so don't expect a lull in the competition after an exchange. Been there, done that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simon,

That's great news!

Competition often crosses my mind. There is definitely something about competition that causes a guy to want to push it just a little bit harder. Not since high school wrestling have I been involved in competitive sports. But I like to compete against myself. And perhaps I will find a bit of competition right here in this forum.

I have a big network engineering test coming up on 4/24 for my job.

I also am in a very relaxed preparation mode.

I am using Cisco Spark live chat application to study with other serious candidates online. I think bantering about with other serious students does add a bit of a competitive aspect. But just as here, there are individuals there from all levels of readiness and weight class. Many are much farther ahead of me in that game, and I suppose many are behind me in the quest for that diamond. But it's fun to chat with others who are working on the same goal.

It is the highest and most respected certification in the telecommunications industry. Cisco CCIE. A great challenge.

Also I have lost 130 lbs over the last year. I am watching Kung Fu videos and doing a push ups, kicking, squats, treadmill, weights workout routine 3 times per week.

I like the Kung Fu philosophy and have been a Kung Fu television program fan since I was a kid. Now 55 years old. 6' 4" 170 lbs. Was 286. Went down to 158 using fasting program. So I can eat good for a couple of weeks. Now working back down again so I can eat good for another couple of weeks. I always eat good, it's just a matter of how many calories I allow myself to consume.

Thanks to everybody for being here and I'm hoping to learn much and kick up my training game a notch or two in the process.

Let's go get 'em guys!

Doug Kenline
Reston, Virginia

That is an incredible weight loss! Great job. 170 at 6'4" sounds a little slim. Good luck with the CCIE. I often with network engineers in my work and have heard them talk about how challenging it is.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds really neat! I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers Michele :). Yeah it was awesome, I am absolutely exhaaaauusted haha but got alot out of it. He's such a great coach, very kind, friendly and patient man. Went through a bunch of different drills, and it was fairly fast-paced and intense for most of the 2-2+1/2 hours, so I'm actually stoked that I got through the session completely pain free, which is a massive deal for me considering how things have been. So feeling really good about things at the moment :).

My calves and quads particularly are gonna be so sore tomorrow haha, and near the end of the session, about 15 minutes to go my big toe skin tore off and blood went everywhere haha. Managed to go quickly patch it up and continue without missing anything, but ouch...
Good luck Simon. Remember, it not a point/stop match so don't expect a lull in the competition after an exchange. Been there, done that.
Cheers mate! That tournament has already come and gone but much appreciated. It was a different format but was used to that in normal dojo sparring. Was a great challenge!
cc49ba042b695371f888f6390a97f3be.jpg
5d7e5856c987ddc432ac763af086a9cb.jpg
0f21a9affe704520bd2f3969ad4fcb1c.jpg
e5831a2621f14ba4443bcef1f5f5d3fd.jpg
4cbe02448a3ae0d8e89c0257b83850c8.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cheers Michele :). Yeah it was awesome, I am absolutely exhaaaauusted haha but got alot out of it. He's such a great coach, very kind, friendly and patient man. Went through a bunch of different drills, and it was fairly fast-paced and intense for most of the 2-2+1/2 hours, so I'm actually stoked that I got through the session completely pain free, which is a massive deal for me considering how things have been. So feeling really good about things at the moment :).

My calves and quads particularly are gonna be so sore tomorrow haha, and near the end of the session, about 15 minutes to go my big toe skin tore off and blood went everywhere haha. Managed to go quickly patch it up and continue without missing anything, but ouch...Cheers mate! That tournament has already come and gone but much appreciated. It was a different format but was used to that in normal dojo sparring. Was a great challenge!
cc49ba042b695371f888f6390a97f3be.jpg
5d7e5856c987ddc432ac763af086a9cb.jpg
0f21a9affe704520bd2f3969ad4fcb1c.jpg
e5831a2621f14ba4443bcef1f5f5d3fd.jpg
4cbe02448a3ae0d8e89c0257b83850c8.jpg

Awesome! That is how MA is done! Keep going. There is some much to find in the small and difficult thing in class.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Isn't that a bit a of a double edged sword as the guys you'll be fighting will have learnt the exact same drills lol

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't that a bit a of a double edged sword as the guys you'll be fighting will have learnt the exact same drills lol

May very well be true on knowing the same skills but execution is 70% of the success in a points tourney. IMHO

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
May very well be true on knowing the same skills but execution is 70% of the success in a points tourney. IMHO
Yes I know I was joking lol I just had a vision of these guys fighting and no one scoring any points because eveeyone knew the techniques and kept defending everything and the match just goes on for hours lol

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hahaha! Yeah true that would make for an interesting situation XD. It was people from all different ages and divisions, and I actually don't think anyone there would be in my division now that I think about it. But you make a good and amusing point XD

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tournament coming up in less than two weeks, am still on the fence as to whether to enter... have been quite unwell with bad reflux stuff, but I'm leaning towards just goin for it!

An all-styles tournament, and most likely entering the point sparring and forms/kata division.

Been a much more relaxed preparation approach again which is nice, and if I place in this one and qualify for the state titles, then I'll ramp up the training schedule.

Tonight was going to do just a little stance work and general mobility and stretching stuff, but ended up doing 45 minutes of straight kata stuff hehe. Working on solely on one kata the whole time. Decided I'll perform Pinan Yon (4) for the tournament. I performed this last year and did well, but it was only me and one other fellow. So hoping to go against many competitors with this one this time.

I broke it down and really worked on the stances and transitions in the kata, trying to get each stance in good alignment and working on the finer points before adding in the hand techniques. Going up and down the hallway drilling each stance (mainly kokutsu dachi and zenkutsu dachi). Definitely need to learn to relax more during movements and the inbetween phases. And also the knee collapsing in a bit I need to work on. I actually saw some drills where you use rubber tubing around the legs, and doing stances and pushing your knees out against the resistance the whole time, to help correct the collapsing in, might be worth a shot..

But it's feeling good, I only went through the whole kata once at the very end to bring it all together. And trying to add my own style to it, slow down where I feel it's appropriate and not rush the whole thing either.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tournament coming up in less than two weeks, am still on the fence as to whether to enter... have been quite unwell with bad reflux stuff, but I'm leaning towards just goin for it!

An all-styles tournament, and most likely entering the point sparring and forms/kata division.

Been a much more relaxed preparation approach again which is nice, and if I place in this one and qualify for the state titles, then I'll ramp up the training schedule.

Tonight was going to do just a little stance work and general mobility and stretching stuff, but ended up doing 45 minutes of straight kata stuff hehe. Working on solely on one kata the whole time. Decided I'll perform Pinan Yon (4) for the tournament. I performed this last year and did well, but it was only me and one other fellow. So hoping to go against many competitors with this one this time.

I broke it down and really worked on the stances and transitions in the kata, trying to get each stance in good alignment and working on the finer points before adding in the hand techniques. Going up and down the hallway drilling each stance (mainly kokutsu dachi and zenkutsu dachi). Definitely need to learn to relax more during movements and the inbetween phases. And also the knee collapsing in a bit I need to work on. I actually saw some drills where you use rubber tubing around the legs, and doing stances and pushing your knees out against the resistance the whole time, to help correct the collapsing in, might be worth a shot..

But it's feeling good, I only went through the whole kata once at the very end to bring it all together. And trying to add my own style to it, slow down where I feel it's appropriate and not rush the whole thing either.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had the tournament today!

My divisions started later in the day so a few hours of waiting, but went really well! In my forms division there were four of us (better than no one last year!), and got a silver medal! It was a sudden change of rings however for this division onto the non-matted ring, which turned out fine and didn't throw me too much, as I'd only practiced it on the hardwood floor area anyway. But kata felt great, no slips, emphasised everything I wanted to in it, felt super relaxed the whole time and just in the zone, so really happy with the silver!

The fellow who won was a 1st Kyu, and did Kururunfa kata (!) which is like a 3rd Dan kata... and he scored quite highly. But interesting such a high level kata the other fellow chose for the 5th Kyu to 1st Kyu division hey (and of course this kata may be lower in his style, but I've researched it alot and never found that to be the case), but nevertheless he performed it incredibly well though and it wasn't one of those 'perform a higher kata sloppy' type performances, it truly was really good.

In the point sparring there were seven of us (which was on the mats, which I preferred, yes!), and I unfortunately lost my first round and didn't progress further. But really stoked with how I performed still, moved well, wasn't feeling nervous at all really, got three points still against his six, and had a ball :).

He was one of those opponents who pretty much mostly kicked, and it quite threw me and I didn't know how to work with that. I really tried to angle and use my footwork and speed to get around him which worked at times but he would just lift his front leg and kick. His first move was always a lead leg side kick which I figured out, but I'll have to figure out a strategy for that... A few times I didn't feel like I scored as I clearly blocked but ah well it goes with the territory that that'll happen. Ah and my opponent punched me in the right eye THREE times haha, same spot. Which, the third time it happened I was a little frustrated haha but no damage done. I can't remember if I was the one to run into them but I don't think so hehe. He was actually really lovely after the round finished so it was clearly not intentional.

I enjoyed this one so much, and honestly I just didn't even feel that nervous at all which is bizarre! The day before I was far more nervous. I met a bunch of really, really great people, and it's so refreshing to meet such honourable, respectful martial artists. Had such a great time!

I have video footage of my kata so I'll have to post that soon :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had the tournament today!

My divisions started later in the day so a few hours of waiting, but went really well! In my forms division there were four of us (better than no one last year!), and got a silver medal! It was a sudden change of rings however for this division onto the non-matted ring, which turned out fine and didn't throw me too much, as I'd only practiced it on the hardwood floor area anyway. But kata felt great, no slips, emphasised everything I wanted to in it, felt super relaxed the whole time and just in the zone, so really happy with the silver!

The fellow who won was a 1st Kyu, and did Kururunfa kata (!) which is like a 3rd Dan kata... and he scored quite highly. But interesting such a high level kata the other fellow chose for the 5th Kyu to 1st Kyu division hey (and of course this kata may be lower in his style, but I've researched it alot and never found that to be the case), but nevertheless he performed it incredibly well though and it wasn't one of those 'perform a higher kata sloppy' type performances, it truly was really good.

In the point sparring there were seven of us (which was on the mats, which I preferred, yes!), and I unfortunately lost my first round and didn't progress further. But really stoked with how I performed still, moved well, wasn't feeling nervous at all really, got three points still against his six, and had a ball :).

He was one of those opponents who pretty much mostly kicked, and it quite threw me and I didn't know how to work with that. I really tried to angle and use my footwork and speed to get around him which worked at times but he would just lift his front leg and kick. His first move was always a lead leg side kick which I figured out, but I'll have to figure out a strategy for that... A few times I didn't feel like I scored as I clearly blocked but ah well it goes with the territory that that'll happen. Ah and my opponent punched me in the right eye THREE times haha, same spot. Which, the third time it happened I was a little frustrated haha but no damage done. I can't remember if I was the one to run into them but I don't think so hehe. He was actually really lovely after the round finished so it was clearly not intentional.

I enjoyed this one so much, and honestly I just didn't even feel that nervous at all which is bizarre! The day before I was far more nervous. I met a bunch of really, really great people, and it's so refreshing to meet such honourable, respectful martial artists. Had such a great time!

I have video footage of my kata so I'll have to post that soon :)
Which kata did you do? Which kata did the others do?

Sounds like a great time. And yeah, points being called that didn’t land are par for the course in point fighting in my experience. Along with stuff not getting called that should’ve been.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which kata did you do? Which kata did the others do?

Sounds like a great time. And yeah, points being called that didn’t land are par for the course in point fighting in my experience. Along with stuff not getting called that should’ve been.

I did Pinan Yon (vid posted now), feel really comfortable with that one and love the power, directness and angles of it.

The guy that won did Kururunfa (absolutely love that kata), another fellow did Seiunchin, and the other I wasn't sure of, potentially not a karate style...?

Yeah true, everything happens so fast so I can't be the best judge either, as I can't always see clearly and for sure if I got that point or not huh!

Latest Discussions