Totally out of shape (not fat) to fit.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suggest reading Bruce Lee's The Art of Expressing the Human Body. Any activity is better than no activity at all. Jumping jacks, crunches and push ups in the mornings. Remember to drink plenty of water and stretch out. Whatever you do be consistant. A week of doing push ups in the morning won't make up for a lifetime of sitting on your rear.

It's funny, it was a round of indoor paintball that made me decide to get in shape which led to my getting back into Martial Arts at the age of 28. After a few hours of playing I could hardly walk for the next three day! I'd like to play again cause now I could play all night!

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice?....
Adorism said:
I've went to a chiropractor...
Ditch the chiropractor.

Adorism said:
...but starting anywhere just seems discouraging when you feel so utterly useless.
You're not useless. Stop thinking this way, right now! And if you get discouraged, talk to us.

Adorism said:
My back even hurts most of the time.
Check out some Qi Gong exercises. Virtually no impact and very invigorating.

Respects,

Frank

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's been so much good advice in this thread, so I'll only repeat one suggestion: drop the chirpractor and see a licensed Physician. If you are still interested in manipulation therapy, see a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy) instead of a chiropractor. D.O.'s are licensed physicians in the United States and must sit for the same licensing exams as M.D.'s do. IMO, there is a place for chirporactors - but, IMO, this is NOT one of them (at least without a licensed Physician's consultation and agreement).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading the post I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH Henderson one should ever fel like they are useless and when you do come home to MT for some solid but enlighting advise from some MA'ers that really care about there traning. Remember you are there to train for your self and nobody else, sta in there and all will be wel.
TERRY

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
There's been so much good advice in this thread, so I'll only repeat one suggestion: drop the chirpractor and see a licensed Physician. If you are still interested in manipulation therapy, see a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathy) instead of a chiropractor. D.O.'s are licensed physicians in the United States and must sit for the same licensing exams as M.D.'s do. IMO, there is a place for chirporactors - but, IMO, this is NOT one of them (at least without a licensed Physician's consultation and agreement).

So funny! I forgot to make my main point - walking. Take a brisk 30 minute walk during your lunch hour and, IMO, you will see a fitness improvement within about ten to fifteen days.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adorism said:
Hey,

Let me just sum it up,

I'm 23. For years and years, the highest amount of physical activity was paintball every once in awhile, but mostly I've been effectively sitting in front of a computer. I've ended up a super skinny guy who still has body fat (which is ridiculous), and I've recently developed scoliosis. It's not severe but I have to do something about it, and I have. I've went to a chiropractor (which seemed sketchy, and now I'm trying to find another one), who will be giving me adjustments, etc.

The chiropractor said to do nothing that stresses my lower back, like "hack squats" and such.

Anyway,
I'm just completely out of shape. Yesterday I did 20 standard crunches, 20 with my legs in the air, and 40 bicycles, and by the time I got to the legs-in-the-air crunches, I couldn't even pull anymore off without a) strictly relying on neck muscles (I don't even know how/why, but it was killing me), and looking riiiidiculous.

I want to get back in shape, and I want to, basically, do it as fast as possible, especially since I'm beginning ninjutsu. I hate being out of shape and I'd like to get more active, but starting anywhere just seems discouraging when you feel so utterly useless. My back even hurts most of the time.

Long story short - any suggestions / advice? Any links to a basic workout regimen, utilizing either nothing or up to 15 pound hand dumb bells? (all I have).

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous - I really hate how I am right now, but I would really like some help and I figure this is probably a good place to ask, especially since I'm starting ninjutsu.

Thanks,

Run...and keep on Running....you'll be suprised on how much good it will do for you.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
hehe...after the first Jujitsu class I went to my friend and I almost needed walkers to get to the car, we looked like little old ladies hobbling along.

Congrats on making it through your first class alive, it just gets better from here :)

Hobbling??????????? Im sure you mistook my hobbling for little wee jumps for joy for just making it through my first Juijitsu class!!! :) :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is so easy to be lazy and do nothing.

The funny part is the more you walk and excerise the more the body and mind need it...and the better you feel.

Start doing the walk and work your way up......running and all the other excerise you want(hate) to do.

The thing we need to do everyday......takes work!!! .........Aloha

Latest Discussions