Old, fat, out of shape guys needs advice.

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just an update since it has been awhile.
We have another belt test coming up this week. Looking forward to it.

My daughter entered her first tourney this weekend. And took First place in both of her events! Needless to say she has been a bundle of excitment all weekend.

As for me. Still working out, still getting into shape. Down about 25 pounds since the first of the year now. And my resting heart rate is down 20 BPM.
Feeling great! About 20 pounds more to go!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just an update since it has been awhile.
We have another belt test coming up this week. Looking forward to it.

My daughter entered her first tourney this weekend. And took First place in both of her events! Needless to say she has been a bundle of excitment all weekend.

As for me. Still working out, still getting into shape. Down about 25 pounds since the first of the year now. And my resting heart rate is down 20 BPM.
Feeling great! About 20 pounds more to go!

Sound like everything is working out for you great news.

jackmcmanus21

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
this is all good news! Are you still feeling pain behind your knees and by your hips?

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Just passed another belt test. Gold belt now. ( I turned down the offer to test for a bit higher belt do to previous experience).
I'm doing this as much for my daughter as myself. And while she has said that I should be in the higher class. I still feel she might feel a bit discouraged, or disapointed if I moved on without her. So I told Sensai that I am happy to test when she test. At my age belt rank really doesn't mean much to me honestly.

My hips still bother me a bit when doing roundhouse/wheel kicks. And side kicks if I try to put any height on them. But its getting better.

For my knee. Found out that I have Patella Tendonitis. Which me being stubborn and not resting it, has gotten worse. So I ma to the point now that the Doc don't want me doing much of anything on it.
(nothing that causes the knee to bend at more than 90 degrees.)

So basically all leg exercises are out, No lunges, squats, extensions, hell not even supposed to ride a bike, or even sit cross legged.

but I'm still working on finding ways around it and managing to get a decent workout in. Just have to get it through my thick skull that it is going to take a few weeks to heal properly.

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Been a while since I updated.
But my daughter and I just passed our orange belt test this weekend. She was excited as I went and picked up all her gear for sparring and is looking forward to doing that in class.

Still working on getting in shape. Doing a lot better. Knee is about healed to 100%. But I think I am stuck with being as flexable as a 2x4 in my lower body for the time being.

Good luck to all!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Graet Job Lorak, I am with you I am about as flexible as I am ever going to get. I keep working at it but sometime we just have to admit we ae getting older. Congrats on you and your daughter keep going.

Imminent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
About the knee being sore with tendonitis, you can try doing some kettlebell work, specifically the snatches and swings as they do not require deep bending and strengthen the quads, hams and glutes along with strengthening your tendon and ligament structure. Start moderately, don't do any jarring exercises and you do not have to warm up for them so there is little trauma for the knee. We don't focus on warmup other than proprioceptic or "loaded" stretching it will dramatically improve you range of motion and increase strength too. One last thing I had luck with for boosting metabolism and easing joint pain to the point I stopped taking all other joint pain supplements, take 2 tblspns of organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" and 2 tblspns of unsulphured blackstrap molasses twice a day. I have had 5 knee reconstructions, acromioplasties on both shoulders (2left,1right), facial reconstruction, and a number of other repairs to the body and this stuff has stopped about 85% of the pain associated after 20 plus years of trying other meds and herbal cures. If it works you are ahead of the game if not it only costs about $10 for a month so you might find it worthwhile. Good luck.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One last thing I had luck with for boosting metabolism and easing joint pain to the point I stopped taking all other joint pain supplements, take 2 tblspns of organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" and 2 tblspns of unsulphured blackstrap molasses twice a day. I have had 5 knee reconstructions, acromioplasties on both shoulders (2left,1right), facial reconstruction, and a number of other repairs to the body and this stuff has stopped about 85% of the pain associated after 20 plus years of trying other meds and herbal cures. If it works you are ahead of the game if not it only costs about $10 for a month so you might find it worthwhile. Good luck.

Do you make you own vinegar with Mother or do you purchase it?

bootcampbj

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lorak, you are a legend mate, keep up the good work!!

I am in a similar boat with the tight/sore hips. Ive found that walking regularly has helped a great deal in loosening up my hip joints while being low impact on the knees.

Really enjoy hearing your story, you have a lucky daughter.

- bj

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep it up Lorak...you are an inspiration since I have great difficulty getting height on my kicks as well. At 50...I am finding that it just takes longer to get there and that is fine with me. After all there is no destination...just the journey to enjoy.

Latest Discussions