Toshindo vs the grappler

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just going to ignore this guy above, he just likes to hear himself talk.

Mom?
rolling.gif
Izzat you, Mom?
rolling.gif

Why are you trolling us, Mom??
rolling.gif

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
check hanzo second message.

I did. He doesn't say anything there about traditional arts being all nonsense. You're putting words in his mouth.

so if i wanted a lecture on how only BJJ works i could got there

Not a single person in this thread has suggested in any way, shape, or form that only BJJ works. We've got a number of posts from you stating that BJJ doesn't work for self-defense but nothing from anybody saying that BJJ is the only answer.

I’m just going to ignore this guy above, he just likes to hear himself talk.

Elder is generally worth paying attention to. He's one of a few people in this thread with a longer, deeper martial arts resume than your own. He's also the person who provided a video clip with a partial answer to your question.

Sorry we don't have any active Toshindo practitioners currently on the forum to answer your question in more depth. If that's all you want out of the thread, then it's probably best not to keep posting about how various other styles don't work, because you're likely to get posts from practitioners of those arts disagreeing.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
. Any other questions?

Who is Chris Friedman? (that's a JEOPARDY! joke, Chris.....)
rolling.gif

Elder is generally worth paying attention to. He's one of a few people in this thread with a longer, deeper martial arts resume than your own. He's also the person who provided a video clip with a partial answer to your question.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tony-it means a lot coming from you.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recently read a study that linked abrasive attitude with assault on street corners.
I mean, who knew?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no tony see the problem is as usuall no one here even knows anyhting about the style i asked about but instead right at the beging i got a ,i dont want to say again so i will copy and past[ at the beginning of this thread I was told everything about traditional art is nonsense and it has been proven again and again in competition. so meaning everything other then sport grappling is useless. so then ]and then in comes the brigade,,so I want to make a point that sport grappling has its place but logic does too.

Not saying I don’t think bjj is usefull I have used an arm bar,neck crank and rea naked choke in real fights, trying to make a point here that there are many differences of self defense and on the mat.

Please note, I never said that traditional arts were nonsense. I said that your notion that competitive MAs are somehow lacking the proficiency of traditional MAs is nonsense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you are from new York wow so am I big deal. Yeah you can mix and match but the point here is at the beginning of this thread I was told everything about traditional art is nonsense and it has been proven again and again in competition. so meaning everything other then sport grappling is useless. so then with that being said answer the question to prove a point, is bjj the first art of choice for teaching a newbie at 60 with back problems self defense? Or would you rather be taught how to use a cane as a weapon or go from cross body to mount then supine armbar, if you are injured and need to defend yourself in the previously mentioned scenario

OK. The guy you mention probably does not have much shot either way. And suggest he dosent get into street fights any time soon instead.

So I vote with train him in whatever. (Can we do a dog brothers stick method?)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What a strange post. You really go way off on a tangent sometimes, in fact so far off it's incomprehensible.

Yeah. But you said the same thing about people using strange terms like arm drag and low single.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But you said the same thing about people using strange terms like arm drag and low single.

Nope, I said I didn't know what they are. Haven't you got some research to do and an essay to write for Chris Parker? :D

OP
wiz cool c

wiz cool c

Orange Belt
Reaction score
o sorry guys didn’t hear you, any Toshindo guys here that can answer the original question?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
o sorry guys didn’t hear you, any Toshindo guys here that can answer the original question?

Well if you hadn't ignored people's posts you'd know the answer wouldn't you because someone has posted up about that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, I said I didn't know what they are. Haven't you got some research to do and an essay to write for Chris Parker? :D

Speaking of threads people dont understand. I think that one is just going to get weird.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I don't think are any toshindo practitioners like people have said, but I can try to give you a Bujinkan answer as well as issues that may arise for the traditional and modern martial artist?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of threads people dont understand. I think that one is just going to get weird.

I'm prepared...just back from ComicCon in Birmingham here, very good but saw Lee Majors and we just said Wow because we couldn't think of anything else to say other than oh he's still alive well ish anyway!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'm prepared...just back from ComicCon in Birmingham here, very good but saw Lee Majors and we just said Wow because we couldn't think of anything else to say other than oh he's still alive well ish anyway!

Loved the Six Million Dollar Man as a kidz, but much preferred Monte Markham from the pilot.....he brought just the right pathos and empathy to Caidin's character.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dina Meyer (Starship Troopers) was there too, very happy husband lol plus some of Dr Who earlier companions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Loved the Six Million Dollar Man as a kidz, but much preferred Monte Markham from the pilot.....he brought just the right pathos and empathy to Caidin's character.
Never heard of Monte Markham, but I was a proud member of the Six Million Dollar Man Bionic Action Club in my youth and have the certificate to prove it. :)

Latest Discussions