Toshindo and Rape Defense

DeepLife

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a female looking into the benefits of Toshindo and was wondering if they teach effective Rape Defense classes?

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
DeepLife, I think you could learn some stuff if you took up ToShinDo, but if you are already ranked in the Bujinkan I doubt you will learn anything ground breaking. If you are interested in rape defense, I HIGHLY recommend that you look into IMPACT Safety Programs. I don't know where you live, but they have chapters around the country. The Woman's basic course is EXCELLENT. I have had the opportunity to observe the women's class and participate in the men's class. The chapter in Columbus, Ohio is exceptional. Here's the website: www.impactsafety.org. Hope this helps.

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of "rape"... There was an old video put out of the early training. I think it showed someone in a rape situation. Does anyone know what the video was called?

ArtPhsyc

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've noticed that the first few levels (for belt ranking that would be belts 1-3) of To-Shin Do are focused on self-protection and awareness that could be applied to a rape situation. We've never been told as being attacked that this is a rape scenario, but a lot of the attacks we learn to defend aren't just punches but also someone trying to carry you away or kidnap someone. I guess in that sense, those scenarios could be the beginning of a rape situation, getting out/away/disabling the attacker before it gets too far.
Hope that helped.

-John

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi DeepLife,

Actually, To-Shin Do DOES cover a women's self defense program. For pictures of it in Ohio, you can go to Mr. Hayes Website (www.daytonquestcenter.com). In the photo section, you'll see this months class being conducted. They're GREAT shots! Also, on the part about To-Shin Do not necessarily covering rape defense, Mr. Stinson (as we all know) offered free classes in his community in RESPONSE to a local rapist.

From what I've been taught, To-Shin Do is a 'complete' self defense art, and the rape scenario, if not directly applied, is implied by the curriculum from the VERY FIRST LEVEL! :)

Good luck at finding what you're looking for.

-Scott
To-Shin Do LDS

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ToShinDoKa,

I am happy that you are drawing so much from To-shin do. I studied at the hombu and then taught there as a full-time instructor. You are right that it is a 'complete' self-defense art and I know that Mr. and Mrs. Hayes were (and maybe still are) certified R.A.D. (Rape Agression Defense) instructors, but it's not nearly as wholistic as IMPACT Safety Programs.

IMPACT is researched and improved strictly with woman's self-defense in mind. The folklore behind the organization is that he founder was a karate instructor who found her skills were useless when she was under pressure and began developing this full contact training in regard to women. The techniques take into account their size and strength in relation to a man's attributes, etc.

The chapter in Columbus is run by a VERY competent staff who focus very carefully on each individual in the program and what each person needs to encounter and achieve for their own personal growth. My experiences with To-shin Do were never as mindful as the short time I spent with the IMPACT staff. If a woman is strictly interested in rape defense she would be served going through IMPACT's woman's basic course.

For what it's worth.

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well,

I know particularly I've seen articles where Anshu talked highly of them. I wouldn't argue w/ the fact they're probably more geared towards women safety...I honestly don't know much about them. As you said, I'm just relaying the experiences I've had. :)

Either way, if DeepLife was looking for the 'benefits of To-Shin Do,' in reference to women's self defense, I've seen To-Shin Do pay specific attention to it, being that it provides solutions to 'real life' and 'modern' problems.

The strength and ferocity of the To-Shin Do "Kunoichi" :), if you will, and of the kyu ranks who I've studied w/ at NCQC, serve as a shining and (if you're fortunate to train w/ them) painful example of how strong and prepared the women of To-Shin Do truly are!

Ninpo Ikkan,

-Scott

Aussie_Wulf

White Belt
Reaction score
Don't know about other Toshin Do dojos, but my dojo (Cairns, Qld. Australia) runs ladies only classes before the main class, and we cover a lot of ground fighting/grappling in the normal class too....

Hope you find what your looking for, and that you never have to use it. :)

Latest Discussions