too young to train?

OP
L

lucifersdad

lol, i knew starting this thread would cause sum agrovation!

but im with the others , i'd love to know what art there is a 15 year old 5th dan, through what governing body, graded by who, and if there really is a 15 year old 5thdan how much do they charge for private tuition 'cos they have to be better than all of us to attain such a grade at such a young age!

and just because there family does it is no excuse! i know a guy who's mum is our associations shihan (6th dan) and he was 25 when he did his last grading and that was for 4th dan, and this guy has been training more or less since he could walk!! (figure of speech dont get angry!)

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

Originally posted by moromoro
yes what art is it in???????????????

iam betting a new made up art

Shito or chito ryu (im not shure of the spelling)

And trust me the bruises are real.
Im 6'3 240lbs and a former boxer turned ueichi. This girl is fast. and the fact that she got all the special attention(ie training) from her family.

All the others who claimed that rank who are her age that I have met did not stand up to the sparring.

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

and if you wish you may sparr with her and my sensei. Other than that don't trash the rare compotent 15 year old thats around.

There will always be an exception to the age rule.

OP
L

lucifersdad

hey, im not doubting she's competant! i teach a 15 year old boy who stopped fighting juniors in tournaments becouse he had no competition, he only trains and sparrs with adults, karate, muay thai, submission, MMA, and he holds his own, but hes a first dan not a fifth! just 'cos a student is talented doesnt mean they can obtain whatever grade they wish, there are rules and regulations on grades for everyone, not just juniors, for a reason.
stop me if im wrong, im all for juniors training, (i mean i started this thread!) but within reason, my sensei is a fifth dan and he has 30+ years training, i cant see anyone attaining that grade legitimately in less time, so someone who has only been a live for less than half of that time?
in the words of macauly culkin "i don't think so!"
juniors training, yes, juniors reaching dan grade, yes, juniors reaching master grade, be serious!

OP
S

Shinzu

one student in my former school had to wait until she was 18 to test for her masters belt. a good rule in my opinion.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by angrywhitepajamas
There will always be an exception to the age rule.

i don't disagree, and the exception goes both ways. some kids mature faster than others physically, and some kids mature slower than others physically. through the years i've seen some kids come in that were around the age of 15 or 16, but if you had asked me what i thought their age was before i knew the truth, i would have said 11 or 12. they just looked very young, and acted very young as well. so just because you old enough to participate in an adult class, it doesn't always mean that you should be.

i sprouted up pretty fast. when i was 13 or 14 i was already the same height i am now. guess i just stopped getting taller eh?:(

i was out their sparring the adults, much larger than me, and i was better for it. granted, i wasn't wearing a black belt, but i was holding my own for the most part. i also participated in various sports, so i had some athletic background as well to help me out. basically, you never know what might factor in to a child's developement.

still, i feel a black belt at least *should* be a responsibility that is USUALLY too big for a young person to handle or grasp the meaning of. and on junior black belts, yes, my school has them, but only for the kids classes. once you are deemed ready for the adult class...you basically will be wearing that junior black belt for a long time until you are ready for your "real" black belt. i suppose it can be a good thing if it keeps kids interested in the art, but it has many drawbacks as well. i myself am not for it, and have stated it in the past.

that said, to each his own.