Too Weird

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Isn't it obvious? He's jealous.

He needs to finally let go of his jealously!!!!.....Immediately.

Then the fun will begin:EG:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jill, may I ask what specific field you are in as regards mental health? My wife just started college last year as a mental health major. She initially wanted to work with abused/neglected children to give something back so to speak but the more she studies the more she realizes how varied the field is. She did a research paper on the lack of treatment in jails around the country and the numbers I saw were appalling.

OP
J

Jill666

Initially I studied psych in college. Two years in I began work in a crisis center, and found out that with a master's degree I could make about $20K/year. The nurses, on the other hand, made that to start, and had ten times the career options. (This was in 1990). Since I'd been on my own for two years, and was hard-pressed to make my tuition as it was working full-time and trying to keep my grades up plus paying the rent- well the idea of three more years of torture was horrifying. I never liked school to begin with.

I enlisted in LPN school- ten months at two grand total sounded like the thing to do. The program I went to was excellent.

I worked 5 years as a mobile prescreener- assessing and placing patients in crisis. I worked one year in a methadone clinic. I worked four years in a psychiatry office, non-profit, serving the chronically ill and homeless. I worked four years in a halfway house for homeless mentally ill addicts, and two years on an ACT team- supporting mentally ill addicts in their home setting.

If you're doing the math, don't bother- I worked two, sometimes three jobs at a time then, from 1989 to 2000. I burned out. (Quelle surprise, as Gou used to say).

Since then it's been straight medicine. Mostly med-surg sub-acute care, first in a vent unit for TBI/SC patients, now in geriatrics.

I love nursing for the challenge and the patients. I hate the hours and the paperwork. The pay is great. I love cheating the reaper. I hate breaking the bad news to the bereaved.

The field is incredibly varied in mental health. If your woman really wants to work with offenders or abused children the rewards are great, but so is the stress. I really recommend part-time if you guys can afford it. She'll need to take time for herself or she'll burn out too. Trust me. Plus she'll stay late, almost every day, trying to make that one extra thing happen for her patients, I guarantee it. :asian: Psych will always be my first love, but I have my own stuff to deal with. But my experience serves me well, on a daily basis.

My 2 cents- or 4 cents, really. :cool:

OP
C

chufeng

Jill,

I got my start in nursing in 1973...Nurs'e Aide in an extended care facility...the work was OK, but the leadership was "iffy." Pay??? just above minimum wage.

I wanted to go to college but couldn't afford it...so I joined the Army for Practical Nurse Course and took the next step up in nursing...pay was OK...three hots and a cot, plus $238/month.
Of course, the opportunity for advancement was there, too...
I did that for seven years...the Army offered me a desk job and a chance to move...I chose to go to college (that was the original plan, afterall).

Went from about $1200/month to $480/month...(my wife also chose to get out so she got her $480/month, as well) but I didn't have a lot of overhead...the GI Bill paid for gas, food, rent...I figured school was my full-time employment so I focused on that and martial arts...after college, I joined the Army, again...spent the next four years at Tripler MedCen in Hawaii...then they threatened me with another desk job...so I went back to school.

The rmy paid for it all this time around (I stayed on active duty)...

Now I spend 80% of my time clinical and 20% admin (can't completely avoid the desk jobs I guess)...I teach for the Army Anesthesia Nursing program...best job I've ever had...challenging, rewarding, and an esprit de corps among the providers I've not seen since my days in a field unit when I was enlisted.

The secret to my successes in school? training in YiLiQuan...
The secret to my success in my anesthesia practice? YiLiQuan...
The secret to my being a good teacher in the OR? Teaching YiLiQuan...
The secret to a successful career as an officer in the Army? YiLiQuan...it kept me from saying things I might have regretted otherwise...

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope I didn't bore you with mine
:p

:asian:
chufeng

Latest Discussions