Too Weird

C

clapping_tiger

Has anything really weird like this ever happend at your school?

(Ok bear with me on this)Today a lady came in off the street headed straight to the bathroom and then left. It stunk up the whole place, and the smell did not go away. It was so bad people were complaining. So the head instructor went into the bathroom, and walked out right away, looking quite distressed. He went back in and came out with a plastic bag, and took it outside. I went over to find out what was wrong and here is what he told me. There was a pair of pants and underwear in the garbage with a full load of crap in them, and crap smeared on the walls, and you believe that. No one knows who the lady was or have ever seen her around before. Quite strange huh??? Anything like that ever happen to any of you?

OP
C

chufeng

Thank you for that bit of information...
...but, HIPAA requires that I not discuss patients I've encountered.
Sorry!!!

:asian:
chufeng

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's really weird and disgusting. Our dojo is in an rented building with other businesses. The 2 bathrooms are in the hallway. Almost 3 years ago when I first started Aikido the bathrooms never used to be locked--they were nasty and broken down anyway (better than a port-a-potty). Suddenly they were locked all the time and when we finally asked why, the answer was that a homeless man would come in sometimes and make a big mess (on floors and walls). Now we have to use a key to get in there. I don't understand why anybody would purposefully do that (whether they're homeless or not). It's disgusting! :mad: :erg:

Robyn :flushed:

OP
C

chufeng

Robyn,

It's called mental illness...

Many of the people we used to house "for their own good" have now been left alone to fend for themselves the best that they can.

Many of the "homeless" folks you see would have been "residents" in a "secure" facility in years gone by.

Both have there own problems...on the one hand, these special people were safer in a facility...except when those tasked with caring for them became their tormenters...and they had no liberties (in the interest of protecting the public)...

I don't have an answer, but it seems as cruel to throw these people to the curb as it was during the days of asylum...

chufeng

OP
J

Jill666

Feces smearing is pretty common in seriously mentally ill people. Not an aspect of the job I miss- by the way, they don't do it of malicious intent.

Chufeng is right. I started working in mental health in '89 when de-institutionalization was in full swing. Some folks who moved out into the group homes did well. Many didn't. After Danvers State Hospital closed, the ES I worked at had repeated visits by one schizophrenic who kept begging to go "home to Danvers". He had been living at the hospital for about twenty years. He died of cirrhosis within a couple of years, on the street.

That's not a pleasant thing to have happen. Sounds like your sensei handled it well.

Living in a city I've seen a lot of strange stuff. The combination of having many people in one place and cheap public transportation = a lot of mentally ill. I might be more apt to notice insane behavior because of my training.

I just wish the state of Massachusetts would find a way to ship these homeless mentally ill south- we have so many people freeze to death on the street every winter. The shelters only hold so many (and they routinely go over capacity). Boston sends cops out on cold nights to get homeless rounded up into temp shelters but it's not enough.

I'll shut up now.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My ex-GF used to do maintainence at the BonTon (an upscale department store for those not familiar with it).

They often times would find the dressing rooms in a state similar, often with new clothes having served as TP.

I've heard similar from folks at Walmart and Kmart.

When I had my storefront, our facilities were offlimits to customers...when someone had to 'go', we pointed them at the supermarket 2 doors down. Made it easier to keep ours clean.

So far, the most discusting bathrooms I've seen though have been at the local Borders bookstore....I've been in cleaner outhouses at summer camp. heh.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I kind if figured it something along those lines (mental illness). Still it is a strange act.

-Jason Johnson

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Thank you for that bit of information...
...but, HIPAA requires that I not discuss patients I've encountered.
Sorry!!!

chufeng
Likewise, the Ohio Department of Youth Services prohibits my discussion of juvenile detainees; however, your story struck a familiar chord. It's a shame that so often in our country, incarceration is used where treatment is called for.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
J

Jill666

Very true- especially in men. Women who commit strange or violent acts stemming from serious mental illness will more often go to a psych facility for eval, but often men will find themselves in county jail. If I had a nickel for every personality-disordered, addicted, or first-break psychotic patient I have evaluated in a city holding cell, I'd have retired by now. (well, maybe I'd need a dime).

I'm not saying many mentally ill don't get away free from incarceration where it WAS warranted, that's the flip side.

Doesn't HIPPA just seem to have everybody in an uproar, by the way. ;)

OP
C

chufeng

HIPAA is codifying the way we should have been handling private information, anyways...it's just NOW there are significant penalties associated with not being discreet.

Of course, it adds one more layer of bureaucracy to an already heavily laden health care system...one more person looking over your shoulder...

chufeng

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Likewise, the Ohio Department of Youth Services prohibits my discussion of juvenile detainees; however, your story struck a familiar chord. It's a shame that so often in our country, incarceration is used where treatment is called for.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Two of my cousins are schizophrenic. They're both in jail instead of in treatment (and receiving little or no treatment in jail, and there's nothing we can do...we've tried). Before their illness, they were straight A students, bright, nice kids. When they hit around 20, everything went nuts. They're not bad people, and their crimes weren't violent ones. They're mentally ill and need to be in treatment rather than in jail.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Boggled minds seem to be the entire issue here

Brother Seig,
I never said I was sane. You remember how I was flashing those 20's:eek: .