Tony Blauers take on "Ki"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He does bring up a good point and you are right some will be very offended.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Good point! This unbending of the arm can be done by anyone! One does not need to know about "KI" or etc!

Many of us have witness and experience this training, of the unbendable arm or try lifting a Akido Sensi off the ground.

A human body is more easy to move when it is breathing....but DEAD weight is haverier! Yet they both weight the same?

Tony Blauer is excellant trainer! ..............Aloha

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He makes a good point regarding the mystification of the martial arts. I also believe the "unbendable arm" is not a legitimate display of chi. As he demonstrated, it is a biomechanic thing that anyone can do, and for one to use it as a demonstration of chi is inappropriate and displays ignorance.

Real chi is more subtle, and less tangible than these kinds of obvious demonstrations. It is elusive and difficult to grasp and control, and very few people reach a level of proficiency where they can use it in clear and obvious martial applications. Chi bullets and whatnot don't exists. But I believe chi does exist. It has clear application in Chinese medicine, as well as martial arts. I believe that in martial arts, it contributes in subtle ways, making one's technique, body, and health stronger. But it is often something that cannot be clearly and easily measured and compared, because it takes a long time to develop and its benefits come about slowly and gradually.

Do the results justify the amount of time and practice needed? I don't know. I guess that is for one to decide for himself. Some (most?) may train all their life and never realize any results. But in my opinion, it does exist.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Blauer was very educational about it. I didn't see any disrespect.

I would like to see/hear/read an explaination of what muscle groups are included then become excluded between the two situations.

R. McLain

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that the "chi explanation" was probably the best they could do at the time, but now, because of science, we have better explanations.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent demonstration!
I've seen another version though, where the arm is simply out and you try to pull it down (even hanging from it I couldn't). Is this a similar thing if anyone knows?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just as this demonstration doesn't prove the concept of chi, I don't think it disproves it either.

Flying Crane said:
Real chi is more subtle, and less tangible than these kinds of obvious demonstrations. It is elusive and difficult to grasp
After studying both with masters who believed chi was as phony as a three dollar bill, and others who swore it was real, FC's comment represents my experience and understanding, too. Harnessing and especially demonstrating chi is going further than I'm willing to do. Still, I believe there's a huge difference between the mystification of something, and leaving room for the mysteries in life. Both Einstien and Abraham Heschel said much the same (which is where I got the idea :D).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The human mind? We do not understand it much? Take the woman who lifts a car off her child?

and all those remarkable stories of fiet? There are times we all can do things we thought was not possible.

It this KI? Chi? ...Or beliefs of higher power?

There was this Seminar on Sales....the Instructor said you can get a parking space if you believe it and can see it in your mind when you go to a place of business ( it works when you understand how it works-all about believing). It did work for me many times....

Many things can be explain by science? ...yet there will be other things that cannot be explain by science?

To believe or NOT to believe? There must be a KEY somewhere?

Aloha ( from a believer) who can get KI's sometimes - (for the wife's car)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call it what you want, Martial Arts cultivates what is already there. As far as this chi thing it is all in the mind.J

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony did not disprove chi or any such thing. He was very respectful and just showed another way to perform the unbendable arm using anatomy and in a way that can be utilised immediately if it has to be. I have seen some chi/ki stuff in my time including the unbendable arm with a clenched fist but as Tony says, if you have to generate anything in order for it to work it is useless in a surprise situation which is why I care very little for the whole chi thing and like reality based thinking such as Tony's.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that I don't think Tony Blauer was being disrespectful or putting anything down. What he was doing was giving a clear and entertaining demonstration of bio-mechanics. Although what he was stating was simple and quite obvious to anyone who has studied the muscular-skeletal system.

Also whatever CHI is, it has a long history and applications that go well beyond what we've seen here.
I honestly don't know that much about chi and think that alot of what's said about it is from people who make false claims in order to indoctrinate their students, and build their mystique so they can make more money. It's even worse when they start believing their own lies and end up in a challenge match like one old guy I saw on youtube, who had a MMA record of 1000s of victories using Chi power only to step on the mat with an average martial artist and get pummeled.
That said as someone stated earlier chi has had many uses be it for medical uses or relaxation and has existed for thousands of years. Whether it is real or just a way to explain things that couldn't be scientifically explained back then, I don't know. But it goes beyond a simple example as this.

What gets me is when instuctors use something that has very little application to demonstate how they have a superior knowledge that is ultimately meaningless and in the long run pointless to self defense.

In the end instructors who shroud the Martial arts in mysticism are no better that those who think they own the truth.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Blauer was very educational about it. I didn't see any disrespect.

I would like to see/hear/read an explaination of what muscle groups are included then become excluded between the two situations.

R. McLain

Mr. McLain, sorry, I meant to answer your question in my above post.
In the first one, (closed fist) you're mainly resisting with your triceps muscles. Having the fist closed is also using some neuro-muscular energy where it is not helping. There is some involvement but not as much in shoulder and pectoralis minor (small muscle of the chest). Among others.
In the second one (hand open and forced out). There is more involvement of the chest pectoralis minor and major, shoulder, biceps, triceps, even the trapezius is being recruited.
Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions