Toddler play class?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience teaching a play/exercise class for toddlers?

A few of our students have 18-36 month old siblings who get really excited about Taekwondo class but are obviously not developmentally mature enough for even the "little dragons" (3-5 years) class. There's one little boy who keeps trying to line up with his sister at the start of her class, a girl whose been practicing at home with her big sister (she can actually count to 10 in Korean), another boy who toddles around trying to do front kick, etc. It's very cute.

So I was thinking, maybe we could have a Gymboree-style "mommy and me" play class for these kids, just with a martial arts theme. They're clearly not old enough to learn very much, I think forms and sparring would be a lost cause entirely, but I know these kids would get a blast out of running around, doing some basic tumbling, front kicks and ax kicks, etc, and generally feeling like they're doing Taekwondo like their big brothers and sisters.

The problem is, I have zero experience working with kids that age. If anybody has any resources or advice, I've really appreciate it.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the children are truly interested then that might be something to try but in my opinion it would be stuff as simple as possible, like learning the words or simple things like high block middle block low block, ect

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The advantage of having a cage. We just lock them in.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience teaching a play/exercise class for toddlers?

A few of our students have 18-36 month old siblings who get really excited about Taekwondo class but are obviously not developmentally mature enough for even the "little dragons" (3-5 years) class. There's one little boy who keeps trying to line up with his sister at the start of her class, a girl whose been practicing at home with her big sister (she can actually count to 10 in Korean), another boy who toddles around trying to do front kick, etc. It's very cute.

So I was thinking, maybe we could have a Gymboree-style "mommy and me" play class for these kids, just with a martial arts theme. They're clearly not old enough to learn very much, I think forms and sparring would be a lost cause entirely, but I know these kids would get a blast out of running around, doing some basic tumbling, front kicks and ax kicks, etc, and generally feeling like they're doing Taekwondo like their big brothers and sisters.

The problem is, I have zero experience working with kids that age. If anybody has any resources or advice, I've really appreciate it.

Would you be running these at the same time as the older siblings are training?

If this is more a revenue stream, then it sounds like an option. Not sure what the laws are there for work place health and safety, which no doubt would come up when dealing with younger kids.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or to get to know the other students so when there old enough to truly train they are less likely to get nervous

OP
W

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would you be running these at the same time as the older siblings are training?

If this is more a revenue stream, then it sounds like an option. Not sure what the laws are there for work place health and safety, which no doubt would come up when dealing with younger kids.

Hmm, that's a good point about safety laws. I doubt it'll be an issue since we're not a childcare center, but it's worth looking into.

I'm not sure when we'd be running it, if we do it. It would have to be run at the same time as another class (which is fine since we have two rooms and Mr WaterGal and I can both teach classes), but these toddlers don't all come in at the same time. At least some of the parents would have to specially come in just for it. So it'd have to be more than just a way to keep their kid occupied during the sibling's class.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have two training areas and during our youth classes I have one of our teenager apprentice instructors in the other area with the younger siblings who show an interested to play with supervision. No real instruction just encouragement as they mimic the others in a controlled environment. Creates interest and we then sign them up when age appropriate.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions