To break or not to break

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I had a gentleman come to me after paying for full yr with no chance of refund from a competitors school. he ws leaving the first school with almost 11 months of training left in his contract because he was told that he had to break to get tested for belts. Theman had a legitmate reason for not wanting to break things, he was a chiropractor. This is a man whose livelihood depends on his hands, and he was told he could not get a yellow belt without breaking a board with a punch.

He joined up in my classes the second I said that we do not break, there is no real purpose for it other than to build concentration, there are other methods to build concentration. In todays world were people do not have one solid calussed knuckle across the back of their hand do not need to pound makiwara for hours for toughening themselves up. There are people in the martial arst who have professional careers,a nd their image is part of that career.

The idea of puncturing wooden armor seems a little far ftched especially when you know the process the wood goes through to be turned into the armor. A lot of people quit the martial arts because of injuries due to breaking, what is the point. It is a arcane tradition that was focused upon by the hard styles, whats next we go back to blood letting for mental patients.

OP
D

Drunken Master

Rob makes a very valid point indeed, and I didn't think there were such schools as the one described in his story.

In the ITF Taekwon-Do classes I attend we start to condition our fists by performing press-ups on our knuckles. We don't actually start to break until we are green tag/7th kup students which takes just over a year to achieve.

We use rebreakable boards.

I can't tell you too much about all this though as I only passed my 7th Kup grading on Saturday and have only attempted to break about 15 times. Success rate so far has been 3 boards so not looking to good at the moment.

Hopefully we can continue this dicussion some time next year when I can tell you what the condition of my hands are like. I have to admit though, that should it get to the point that I think I am realy messing my hands up I will not be happy. Perhaps unhappy enough to stop.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
attempted to break about 15 times. Success rate so far has been 3 boards so not looking to good at the moment

The school I help teach at used to break for belt rank when you got to intermediate level, till a 16 yr old broke his hand and ended up quiting. Now you just have to sweat like nuts :rofl:

We now do sparring rounds, grappling rounds and bag rounds.

Be careful with your hands, just keep doing the knuckle push-ups and it should be ok. Last word of advice-switch to Kenpo then you don't have to worry about it (just kidding) :D

:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

i guess in the end it is just a matter of personal choice. some do, some don't. the positive and negitive aspects are evident.

just because you have to break for a rank advancement doesn't mean you have to like or approve of it. it just means you are willing to do what it takes to advance.

no one wants to do millions of squats, pushups, or jumping jacks either but that's all part of what builds character. i think breaking does some of that also.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Shinzu

[/B]
no one wants to do millions of squats, pushups, or jumping jacks either but that's all part of what builds character. i think breaking does some of that also. [/B]

None of that builds character, those exercises build endurance. It is how you deal with with adversity that builds character.

OP
H

hapkido_mgd

We break boards for every belt testing at my school. It was intimidating the first time I did it. Every belt has a different break associated with it. This way the board breaking is incorporated into normal training.

Now I don't have a problem with this process. But I do see how other people may not like the idea. I've read through a lot of the posts and the naysayers do make a valid claim.

But in the end it all boils down to choice, right? What we choose to do makes us who we are. I will respect what others choose to do as long as they respect my choices in turn. Hey Shinzu, I wasn't trying to copy what you were saying. I was just trying to think of something to write and this is what spilled out. Let me just say that I was unconsciously influenced by Shinzu. :p

:soapbox: OK, I'm stepping off my box now.

:asian:

OP
S

Shinzu

None of that builds character, those exercises build endurance. It is how you deal with with adversity that builds character

i tend to disagree. these types of exercises build self discipline. self discipline builds character.

no problem hapkido.. great minds think alike:)

OP
K

kickyou

At the school that I attended we had our students break the first night they were there to show them that they could do it.It was only 1 board with either a front kick or a back kick and if they had help then one if the black belts would "Help them guide their foot"I tell ya I have left a white belt class with very sore hands before.LOL

OP
L

loanbanker

I see nothing wrong with breaking. I think students should be taught to break as soon as they are mature enough to deal with broken bones themselves (probably say 16 or so). Of course I say all of this without so much as 30 minutes of having formally taught anybody!

RE: boardbreaking = "BAH".

just my little 2 cents worth.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I headr something along the lines of a board takes the same amount as a collar bone to break. Who knows, I have never broken someones collarbone so I wouldn't know but i know 1 board is very easy to breeak. The whole thing about world records and stuff though is silly. An Australian guy by the name of Bruce Haynes was the world record holder (he may still be) and even though each of his arms was about the size of my thigh it didn't stop his hand from breaking each time he did a sizable break. This had nothing to do with technique or lack of, just that our hands and body were not made for such activities hence it reacting in a negative way when partaking in such pastimes.

Cheers
Sam

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breaking is not a required part of our curriculum (yet) although it is available for those that are interested.
I think it is great to build confidence and learn to focus your mind. I learned with the understanding that if you can break a 1" thick pineboard then you can break a rib. My teacher has broken ribs in contact matches in his time so i will take his word for it! :0)
I also think board breaking makes a great demonstration. It is often one of the most exciting portions of our demonstrations.
It is important to learn how to do it properly and also not to let the ego get out of control as you make more difficult breaks.
It has its place but is not a huge focus in our school.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy breaking and breaking was and is a part of our Tang Soo Do requirements. ("Was" when I was a student and "is" now that I teach.)

We start breaking at yellow belt, second test.

As stated above, single board breaks are relatively easy. But more complex breaks are increasingly more difficult. It is not huge part of class, but it is valuable for students.

When done right, there is little danger to the health of students. Proper preparation is key. ALL STUDENTS succeed in breaking. Why? Because I do not ask more of them than they are able.

We use rebreakable boards for practice. Real wood and concrete for tests and demonstrations.

It is also good PR for "traditional" art that has elements of self-defense but is not a "street defense" art.

Kenesu

White Belt
Reaction score
how do you feel about breaking? at what level should a student begin to break and what should they break?

do you think it is a necessary for students?
Personal I love breaking. I feel that if a student wants to do breaking they should be able to start, after being shown or taught proper technique in how to do it, they should start off with boards until they feel they are ready to give bricks a try.

As far as it being necessary for a student do breaking, that's a toss up, it should be personal preference.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve never seen board breaking in the FMA. Didn’t do it in JKD or Thai Boxing either.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal I love breaking. I feel that if a student wants to do breaking they should be able to start, after being shown or taught proper technique in how to do it, they should start off with boards until they feel they are ready to give bricks a try.

As far as it being necessary for a student do breaking, that's a toss up, it should be personal preference.
Just so you're aware, you're replying to a thread that hasn't seen a post in about 15 years, so most of the folks who posted back then aren't around here now.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think Hand conditioning and strength training is good. Board breaking not so much.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bruce-lee-boards (1).gif

Latest Discussions