Breaking boards

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This brings up another question: is there a recommended method for solo breaks? Breaking isn't something I'm likely to introduce to my students anytime soon, but it would serve in some work I'm doing on my off-side, so I'd be working solo. I suppose I could put the board across cinder blocks or something similar, but that only allows downward breaks.
I've never used this, but it looks like what you would want: Gorilla Board Holder

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but...but...but.....Master Bruce Lee said the boards don't hit back! :p

Chung Lee also said "very good, but brick don't hit back!"

I'm assuming the guy in the "Failed Karate Punching Bricks" video I linked to disagrees with both Master Lees. So would Master Newton. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used this, but it looks like what you would want: Gorilla Board Holder
That might work, indeed. I'd need to figure out a way to do a quick, temporary set-up since the training space I use isn't mine to alter, nor dedicated to MA. It looks like I might be able to work out a quick clamping system to attach it to the standing frame for the heavy bag.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
vOK, a couple of rules to keep in mind when breaking.
1. Never let the board get away with it if you fail to break it. Hit it again, stomp it, whatever.
2. Strike all the way through the board, not just the surface.
3. The guy holding the board has the worst view of the break in the room. They should be looking away, otherwise they will flinch and you fail to break the board.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen, the rebreakable boards seem to wear out. How may times do they break, before they start wearing out?

The cheap tongue & groove boards wear out fast. The UMAB Balrog and I referenced last damn near forever. Much better engineered.

This brings up another question: is there a recommended method for solo breaks? Breaking isn't something I'm likely to introduce to my students anytime soon, but it would serve in some work I'm doing on my off-side, so I'd be working solo. I suppose I could put the board across cinder blocks or something similar, but that only allows downward breaks.

UMAB also sells a number of styles of board holders. The best one is pole mounted. The pole clips to a wall. The holder is then infinitely adjustable on the pole. You can also strap it to a heavy bag (I do this all the time). It's less easily adjustable, but more versatile in other ways.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cheap tongue & groove boards wear out fast. The UMAB Balrog and I referenced last damn near forever. Much better engineered.

Are the padded UMABs as good? If I ever introduced breaking to students, I think I'd prefer them, since breaking would be a very occasional practice (mostly to help fix problems with disconnected strikes).

UMAB also sells a number of styles of board holders. The best one is pole mounted. The pole clips to a wall. The holder is then infinitely adjustable on the pole. You can also strap it to a heavy bag (I do this all the time). It's less easily adjustable, but more versatile in other ways.

That Gorilla holder looks nice...but yikes @ the price! I could buy a BOB and some new sparring gear for the program for that price. I want it, but it will have to wait.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I have seen, the rebreakable boards seem to wear out. How may times do they break, before they start wearing out?
Not only do rebreakable boards wear out, real boards also wear out when used to break.....and man are they expensive.

OP
M

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies- do the UMAB boards have a UK supplier? Importing stuff is expensive and we're even more screwed here since we're leaving europe.

Latest Discussions