TKD subsystems

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean Shaolinwolf. I just branch the STF and WTTU under the ATA because they are basically the same organization, just different faces of the organization. Also, STF and WTTU members are allowed to compete in ATA tournaments, so I just group the other two organizations as ATA.

Yes, technicqually Songham is taught out side of the ATA, but those organizations are part of the ATA so they are not really taught outside of the ATA.

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Shu2jack said:
I know what you mean Shaolinwolf. I just branch the STF and WTTU under the ATA because they are basically the same organization, just different faces of the organization. Also, STF and WTTU members are allowed to compete in ATA tournaments, so I just group the other two organizations as ATA.

Yes, technicqually Songham is taught out side of the ATA, but those organizations are part of the ATA so they are not really taught outside of the ATA.

Agreed. ATA and it's affiliates are the only practitioners of Songham style Taekwondo, even though there really isn't much difference in styles aside from the forms.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you really think about it, all martial arts are basically same. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. The only difference is how we go about practicing them and improving. Rules, regulations, forms (or lack of), sparring methods, philosophies, etc. They are just different means to the same end.

As a drunken kick boxer once told me, "Your TKD, you have nothing but kicks and they are going to be useless against me."

Good thing I learned how to punch and use other various hand techniques like all other martial arts teach. (Including TKD) :)

S

ShaolinWolf

Yeah, I agree, I was just stating it; it's all Songahm TKD. Just different named organizations due to the countries outside of the USA.

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chin Mu Kwan is still under Grandmaster Kang. It's national tournament will be next summer (2007) in McAllen Texas.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sub-systems is a little misleading; "school" would be a more appropriate term.

The five original Korean Kwans ("schools") were: Chung Do Kwan, Moo Duk Kwan (the art of Tang Soo Do), Yun Moo Kwan, Chang Moo Kwan, and Chi Do Kwan. These were founded in 1945 and 1946. Three more Kwans were founded in the early 1950's - Ji Do Kwan, Song Moo Kwan, and Oh Do Kwan.

There is a very blurry line between kwans, some schools are very hard core when it comes to their lineage while others couldn't care less.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a member of Moo Sul Kwan. The school teaches hapkido and tae kwon do. An interesting question. How many other schools teach the ITF and WTF forms at each belt rank?

I know mine does.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am with fireman on this one. I know my school is hardcore on the lineage. I know that Lee H. Park, founder of Moo Sul Kwan studied under Won-Kwang Wha for hapkido and studied Yudo at the Korean Yudo Academy with Bol Young Shin. I am not sure who his Tae Kwon Do instruction came from. I am not going to guess. However, I do know the Won-kwang Wha was one of Choi's first 11 students. The instructor I am learning from is one of Lee's first students.

Latest Discussions