WTF,ITF OR Kukkiwon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering on this board of great TKD'ers where does your heart belong to the most. I have trained in every aspect of TKD but my true training is the Kukkiwon way of doing things. I have learned the Chon-ji and TaeGueks, along with the Pal gwes(MISPELLED). I diffently know the difference between all thes orgs. but what has made you join the org. you are with. The school was involved had no choice or did you choose your own Org. yourself.

Kukkiwon is different than the USAT way also so please do not put them together. Thanks
Terry

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have little interest in the Kukki stuff personally. Largely stems from my school's affiliations I suppose.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My dojang has an affiliation with the Kukkiwon. But it is a mix of styles, so it's not pure TKD. Anyways, I chose my current dojang, because the training was good. 90% of the dojangs/dojo's here are Mcdojangs/dojos. Plus I was looking for something similar to TSD (my first art). So, I got lucky with this one.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I have little interest in the Kukki stuff personally. Largely stems from my school's affiliations I suppose.
so are you ITF or ATA or what affiliation.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm Kukkiwon certified and affiliated with WTF. Back when I started, I knew (as most people) squat about such things. I just wanted to work out. However, the more I learned, the gladder I was that I happened to fall in with this organization. I've heard and discussed all the pro's and con's over affiliation issues, but I find the association with Kukkiwon comforting. So to answer your question, it was pure luck!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
so are you ITF or ATA or what affiliation.
Terry
The USTF was affiliated with the ITF right up til Gen Choi's death. Then when the ITF started to fragment, GM Sereff took the org independent.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
The USTF was affiliated with the ITF right up til Gen Choi's death. Then when the ITF started to fragment, GM Sereff took the org independent.

First I'd like to apologize, I started a thread just like this one. I just didn't see this thread. My bad, I'll do 50 knuckle push-ups.....darn it!

I was ATA, ITF, ITC and I'm currently HTF (Hwa-Rang Taekwondo Federation)

Marginal, do you by chance know Master Gerry Brown, he's a USTF 7th Dan in Colorado, under GM Shereff. He's my uncle.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
First I'd like to apologize, I started a thread just like this one. I just didn't see this thread. My bad, I'll do 50 knuckle push-ups.....darn it!

I was ATA, ITF, ITC and I'm currently HTF (Hwa-Rang Taekwondo Federation)

Marginal, do you by chance know Master Gerry Brown, he's a USTF 7th Dan in Colorado, under GM Shereff. He's my uncle.

It is ok Fluffy. The push - up need to be done while you have 2 50lbs bags of potatoes on your back
icon10.gif

Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
The push - up need to be done while you have 2 50lbs bags of potatoes on your back
icon10.gif

Terry

Darn Terry, you Texans are tough. In MI, we only use 80lb bags of rock salt...

When I started TKD, the only school in town was ITF so I did ITF TKD. I didn't know the difference, didn't care.

Years later I started training under an independent instructor who did Palgwe poomsae and had KKW certification. I learned to enjoy the similarities and the differences. When he left town, I became the student of a very traditional instructor with strong KKW affiliation.

I have been blessed to be able to experience continuous training since the 70's and in Korea. As I look at TKD as the vehicle to self-improvement, it really makes no difference if you are independent or affiliated with a certain group. What does make a difference is that you have an instructor whom you can trust who can teach you all that TKD (or any other art) has to offer.

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
Darn Terry, you Texans are tough. In MI, we only use 80lb bags of rock salt...

When I started TKD, the only school in town was ITF so I did ITF TKD. I didn't know the difference, didn't care.

Years later I started training under an independent instructor who did Palgwe poomsae and had KKW certification. I learned to enjoy the similarities and the differences. When he left town, I became the student of a very traditional instructor with strong KKW affiliation.

I have been blessed to be able to experience continuous training since the 70's and in Korea. As I look at TKD as the vehicle to self-improvement, it really makes no difference if you are independent or affiliated with a certain group. What does make a difference is that you have an instructor whom you can trust who can teach you all that TKD (or any other art) has to offer.

Miles

You are a lucky man, your wisdom is only over shadow by humbleness.
Terry:asian:

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
It is ok Fluffy. The push - up need to be done while you have 2 50lbs bags of potatoes on your back
icon10.gif

Terry

Potatoes, salt........you guys are harsh........my wife made me do them with me son sitting on my back, only 45 lbd though.

-Fluffy

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Potatoes, salt........you guys are harsh........my wife made me do them with me son sitting on my back, only 45 lbd though.

-Fluffy
Same here. I use a 7 year old "Ethan" weight. :p

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:

-Fluffy

Well what can we say, oh yea nike (just do it)
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear All,

I am devoted to the teachings and principles of Choi Hong Hi.

Spookey!

Now that's a diffenitive statement! I can respect that.

-Fluffy

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fluffy said:

I'm afraid not. But I tend to train in classes that don't draw a whole lot of masters in to train.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
My bad, I'll do 50 knuckle push-ups.....

There's another kind?

Though I stay out of politics I'd say my school is becoming slightly independent, although we do WTF style sparring, the palgwe forms, and rank certifications come from the Kukkiwon, we are kind of in our own little world as an organization with around a dozen schools scattered here and there.

On a side note, still waiting for my black belt certificate, came back the first time for a "Micholas"....oh well...that's paperwork for ya...

Latest Discussions