TKD punches

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems punches are more used in tournaments these days, so I want bto know the criteria for a pucnh to be a point, how does score a punch? some guys told me only reverse punches (ala karate do) to the hogu, no circular punches, no neryo punches, no uppercuts???

Manny

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are correct in that only straight punches score. I have never done a national tournament, but at local levels even up to state level tournaments punches have to be scored manually. Even if you use the electronic hogu most tournaments will only mandate the instep pad and not the hand pads. You can definitely use hooks and uppercuts, they just won't get scored.

The two main punches you score with are the reverse and the cover punch with the lead hand. To qualify as a scoring punch you either need to knock them back or stop their forward motion.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, only straight punch to the hogu scores, and only gets 1 point. Hand techniques to the head get you a warning or loss of point.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, doing sparring in dojang I use my fists in short and use what ever I wanted (no to the face/head), cross most of the times but once in a while hooks to the gut area and if possible upercuts to the hogu.

Manny

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why superman punches are never used in WTF TKD. I would have thought that a fake front kick followed by the superman punch could land and would qualify as a scoring punch (due to it being straight, fully extended, and being forceful), but I've never seen anyone talk about it.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The punch is not allowed to originate above the shoulder. That would include superman punches, would it not?

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The punch is not allowed to originate above the shoulder. That would include superman punches, would it not?
I've never heard that rule. I googled and found for the 2014 Taipee tournament (Rules and Docs the following rules:

5.1 Permitted techniques
Fist technique: A straight punching technique using the knuckle part of a tightly clenched fist. In the case that the
athlete is unable to make a fist with either one or both hands the athlete will not be able to score points by
punching.
Foot technique: Delivering techniques using any part of the foot below the ankle bone

So it seems there is no restriction on a punch starting higher. But if there were, I would think you could start a superman punch lower.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never heard that rule. I googled and found for the 2014 Taipee tournament (Rules and Docs the following rules:

5.1 Permitted techniques
Fist technique: A straight punching technique using the knuckle part of a tightly clenched fist. In the case that the
athlete is unable to make a fist with either one or both hands the athlete will not be able to score points by
punching.
Foot technique: Delivering techniques using any part of the foot below the ankle bone

So it seems there is no restriction on a punch starting higher. But if there were, I would think you could start a superman punch lower.
It would be covered in the finer points of refereeing interpretation on when to give a half or full point deduction. The reason being if the punch starts high and then the distance between players is suddenly shortened during the punch, the result could be a fist in the face. As face punching is not allowed, punches starting higher are generally discouraged.

Can any recently updated IR's here confirm this?

In any case, a superman punch in the context of a WTF rules match would be somewhat unwise in my view. The most likely response to the fake is a counter kick. If that counter kick happens to be a back kick, you'll find yourself off the ground mid-punch with no way to evade it.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder why superman punches are never used in WTF TKD. I would have thought that a fake front kick followed by the superman punch could land and would qualify as a scoring punch (due to it being straight, fully extended, and being forceful), but I've never seen anyone talk about it.

I think the same, the superman punch is a nice technique.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going from memory here... But I believe I have seen other stuff from there. If I recall correctly, that is a Hapkido/TKD school that is very much NOT focused on sport.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this is?
That's actually the video that taught me how to do the superman punch. And that's the video that got me thinking about using it in TKD, since he fakes with the front kick (as opposed to the knee) to set it up.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Going from memory here... But I believe I have seen other stuff from there. If I recall correctly, that is a Hapkido/TKD school that is very much NOT focused on sport.

FYI, from their website http://www.premierselfdefence.com

"At Master Kwon’s Martial Arts Academy, we practiced a Full Contact Martial Arts Taekwondo combined with other Martial arts ( Kickboxing, Hapkido, Bulmudo,Grappling..) provided an all-round source of defensive manoevres applicable to various types of random attack in real-life situations."

Also, they offer 10 online taekwondo classes for $180 at Live Online Class Schedule - Master Kwon FCT (Apparently this at least has the advantage over other online taekwondo classes that they require you to have a webcam so they can see what you're doing in real time.)

Also, as was pointed out in the YouTube comment section, is there a reason the Korean is flag upside down in this video?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my dojang and local tournaments I haven't seen punches score points, but I fend them effective nonetheless. The best is that if my opponent is kicking I can punch them off balance and they wiff their kick, and I can counter with my own.

Latest Discussions