The hiden hand technikes of TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silly don't you think? The hiden hand technikes of TKD? yes I reallice that last night doing poomsae.

For the untrained person or regular person TKD is a kicking art mostly, and yes I don't blame them for thinking this way, since 1980's KuKiWon and WTF have been doing such an effort to transform TKD in an Olimpic dicipline that focused only in kicking and leave behind all the rest.

Last nigh doing poomsae I realice TKD has a lot of hand technikes in the form of blocking,parriying,stricking,grabing,joint manipulation and in some cases even trowing. The same is about one,two and three step sparring.

As long as I know we have now poomsae competition, I pray for this to be as popular as kyorugicause TKD needs to lift it up the Martial Art within.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny the hands techniques in TKD have always been there, but so many forget to use them. I know even in Olympic sparring you can punch and as long as it stops your opponet it is awarded a point. Yes I have athlete that will recieve a point for a good solid punch in the hogu, but alot of instructors refuse to teach them.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't really think anything's hidden.

I think it got pushed to side in favor of the Olympic flavor & associated hubub to distance TKD from the Japanese roots.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny the hands techniques in TKD have always been there, but so many forget to use them. I know even in Olympic sparring you can punch and as long as it stops your opponet it is awarded a point. Yes I have athlete that will recieve a point for a good solid punch in the hogu, but alot of instructors refuse to teach them.

Terryl it's understable that the TKD practiciones use the kick instead the punch, for example a solid kick to the hogu score two pints, a kick to the head escores three points, a solid punch to the hogu scores just one point and in most cases scores nothing! I saw so many competitions where solid punches did not score, so it's normal to avoid the punches and try a hurricane of kicks trying to score points.

For example karate competitors use more his hands, I don't know the scoring sistem for japanese karate, maybe both, kicks and punches or hand technikes scores the same.

If somebody tell me TKD is a kicking art, I will show him that below WTF rules the sparring is no punches to the face and kicking is used to score points but, if we are talking about the Martial Art of the Tae Kwon Do we had several options from hand strikes, kicks,elbows,knees,etc,etc.

For me there has been so much emphasis in kicking in TKD because the WTF sparring rules inside the dojan and inside competition.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree Manny alot of people do not see the Art side of TKD, you and me both know what a good solid punch can do. I still believe it is up to every instructor no-matter if they teach the sport or not to teach punching techniques.

kerc

White Belt
Reaction score
One thing that I really like from my Master is that he teaches a lot of hand techniques and we focus on punches as much as kicks, and also do a lot of self-defense, which of course tends to involve more hands than feet.

A kick can be impressive, but there's something special about being very efficient at hitting and blocking in an efficient manner with your hands.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no argument, a solid kick can be desvasting, however in order to land and god kick some space,timing and speed is necesary, and in some esenarios maybe distance is someting we can't have, so the hand must be used to create space/distance to deliver a good kick if need it.

I've never been in such a point in fighting for my life and I'll hope never be believe me, but I think we must strike with hands,elbows,knees as good with our feet/legs.

Something basic are the poomsaes, performing them regulary below the eye of our sambonim improves our MA and this coupled with one,two and three steps sparring can gives us certain degree of dexterity.

When I was younger and dumber I dislike poomsae, in some way I felt it was boring, now I reallice is the core part of our MA.

Manny

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
You'd do well to pick up a copy of Simon O'Neills book "The taeguek Cipher".. he's already where your starting to tread!

Stuart

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The whole hidden techniques thing is something I noticed piece by piece in the last year or so. Not just for hands but for kicking too. There are even more stances hidden between the stances. Nothing is truly different... I actually tried to write something about it in my little ma blog.

Greg L. ^~^

Latest Discussions