I don't know what to do

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've ben out of class for several days so I have not had a chat my sambunim, tonight I will return to dojan and try to do it. I just meet and old friend from high school who's a certified balck belt in Budo Tai Jutsu and without saying a word of my part he invited me to traing with his group on sundays mornings so maybe I will atend his dojo and see.

My friend told me he doesn't want to change my TKD but wants to show me his MA for me to improve my SD.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructor (kwanjang) did not tell me he didnt want me to learn bjj. He simply said that he did not want to learn it, so it was up to me. So that is what I did. I wouldnt learn from anyone but him.

Also, on the one instructor thing, I meant one at a time. I know people will sometimes change instructors, but for me, I wanted to learn another art my instructor did not know, so instead of me finding a school, I felt that it was the most respectful thing to just learn it at home. I only want 1 teacher. Maybe I am just more loyal than some, but there is no way I would go to another instructor to learn another martial art.

This is a question addressed to anyone who knows... Is this type of exclusiveness a common phenomenon in Korean martial arts? In Okinawan karate, Kenwa Mabuni, the founder of shito-ryu karate, learned from a number of teachers including Higashionna and Itosu. I believe he also studied with Arakagi and a Chinese gung fu master as well. The same is true with Tatsuo Shimabuku of Isshin-ryu fame. He studied with Miyagi, Kyan, Motobu, and Taira, with each master filling in gaps in his martial education.

It would seem the Okinawans had a more utilitarian approach...

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you tell your instructor you're going to go to the budo taijutsu class on sundays. I would have thought if you tell him what you're going to do there is no way he can get offended or see it as disrespectful. If he does then he's an idiot and you'd be better off without him.

You could actually ask him if he wants to go with you and train with the others as well.

Twin Dragon Parent

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what to do, I've been telling my sambunim I want more self defense practice and more more clasic tkd training (the old fashion way where real emphasis is towards self defense aplications) but it seems sambunim is more interested in kicking techniques for sport tkd (tournament).

We do a lot of kicking technike for sport but almost nothing about defenses,blocking,parrying,punching,locks,trowing,inmobilization,etc,etc.

This really makes me mad!! The kids in the class don't know how to clinch a good fist for a powerlful punch, even don't know how to use the hips to traslate all the power of the body towards the punch, they don't know how to use a ridge hand or a knife hand to hit with, their blocking is so week and bad they can not block a blow or kick.

Oh boy even they don't have to dodge a punch and counter, forget about an arm lock or a good trowing moves, yes they can kick but they don't know how DEFEND themselves.

TKD is not all kicks!!!

When the class is over I ask the students to stay to help me to traing in SD moves (and to teach them offcouse) but simply they don't want to, thet prefer in some cases to kick the air shild a little.

Very sad.

Manny[/quote/]

manny Where do you live?

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WTF schools are not noted for self defense and sometimes forms. If you were looking for the more traditional ITF style may be best for you. However.. Then you find yourself with less cardio and standing in one spot for long periods of time.

Hope that you find what you are looking for.

Master Wright

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, what you are expressing is the same thing I ran into with my sabumnim (Sterling Chase). Great man, nice guy, awesome when it comes to power technique, but really unwilling to teach SD in the class. I finally had a talk with him and let him know that I will be moving on.

He's an odd one because he's certainly a traditionalist when it comes to language, culture, history, etc... but his approach is very rooted in the competition aspects of Tae Kwon Do.

Which is why I will probably go back to my Hapkido Sabumnim (Isaac Costley). Him and Master Chase are friends and cousins, so it's still in the family so to speak, but Master 'C' (as he goes by) is more varied in his approach (Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do as well as BJJ, Muy Thai and some others)

But, I ran into the same situation, Manny. I had several conversations with Master Chae before reaching that decision and I think he was sympathetic and understanding to my desires but in the end it didn't translate to what we were doing (although I can't expect someone to change their teaching curriculum for the school just for one student's desires)

But in my searching I haven't really seen a true full-balance Tae Kwon Do school around here, which is why I'm looking at going back to Hapkido

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what to do, I've been telling my sambunim I want more self defense practice and more more clasic tkd training (the old fashion way where real emphasis is towards self defense aplications) but it seems sambunim is more interested in kicking techniques for sport tkd (tournament).

We do a lot of kicking technike for sport but almost nothing about defenses,blocking,parrying,punching,locks,trowing,inmobilization,etc,etc.

This really makes me mad!! The kids in the class don't know how to clinch a good fist for a powerlful punch, even don't know how to use the hips to traslate all the power of the body towards the punch, they don't know how to use a ridge hand or a knife hand to hit with, their blocking is so week and bad they can not block a blow or kick.

Oh boy even they don't have to dodge a punch and counter, forget about an arm lock or a good trowing moves, yes they can kick but they don't know how DEFEND themselves.

TKD is not all kicks!!!

When the class is over I ask the students to stay to help me to traing in SD moves (and to teach them offcouse) but simply they don't want to, thet prefer in some cases to kick the air shild a little.

Very sad.

Manny

Would you consider the school a mcdojo? In your shoes I would probably find a new place to train.