training for old dudes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old dudes?? well I am talking about working men/women who takes TKD classes for fit and to learn how to defend themselves, forget about competition tkd.

I don't like teach kicking drills mostly like some tkd instructors do, kicking to the air or kiking palchaguis (focus mitts for the foot) doin all of the combinations you can imagine using high kicks, spining/jumping high kicks and some kind of flamboyant kicks, instead, I like to teach kicks suitable for using in self defense, hand,elbows,locks,pins,trows,etc. So Basicaly my class is oriented to those moves intended fos self defense.

Do you think I am wrong teaching more self defense than kicking drills? Please take note the youngsters take classes with sambonim and they do more kicking drills and poomsae than anithing, and I teach more to the self defense side. I don't think sambonim dislikes these cause he saw me during some class and never said anithing about like: " Mr. Manny I think you should.... or you should'nt do these or that.

Manny

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an old dude. I just like to kick ***. Sometimes it's my *** that gets kicked. Goes with the territory. Gotta love a good punchup.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a thought. Instead of mits, or paddles for SD you might try the larger "Shields" The ones about 3 feet by 2 feet, 6 inches thick,
You can blast those with knees and even have them held low for kicks to the legs. Some big dudes blast them so hard we have the holder hold 2 of the Shields one in front of the other.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 types of old dude.

(1) new student

(2) advanced student

(3) advanced age

The new student needs to learn to be well rounded, while the advanced student needs to hone their skills.
Advanced age needs to work within their ability.

If the advanced age sensei is still active, he has much to teach while being a great example to all.
The important thing is to determine where you fit and act accordingly. :)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you think I am wrong teaching more self defense than kicking drills? .
It depends on the students' goals and abilities. If the person is flexible and likes the "art" of tkd, then he/she would love to practice high kicks and spinning kicks. I think if you are teaching tkd a bit of both fancy / practical is good.

If you never practice fancy, you limit the "practical" techniques you will have one day. (e.g., if you never practice spinning back kick, it will never be effective for you. It perhaps could have been effective for you though, had you practiced it).

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you call your class. If you call your class 'self-defense', then that is what you should teach. If you teach 'Taekwondo', you should teach that. Taekwondo includes more than what you like most. I think you should not limit your students by teaching only the parts of Taekwondo you like. Doing that makes weak future masters who think something is not part of the art because it is not what they were taught. While a new black belt is far from mastery, they should have learned the fundamentals of all parts of the art, not just some. Don't underestimate us old dudes. I turn 50 this year and find that the more I train the more I can do. I have limits, but even those stretch with improving conditioning and technique.

Carl

vikings827

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you call your class. If you call your class 'self-defense', then that is what you should teach. If you teach 'Taekwondo', you should teach that. Taekwondo includes more than what you like most. I think you should not limit your students by teaching only the parts of Taekwondo you like. Doing that makes weak future masters who think something is not part of the art because it is not what they were taught. While a new black belt is far from mastery, they should have learned the fundamentals of all parts of the art, not just some. Don't underestimate us old dudes. I turn 50 this year and find that the more I train the more I can do. I have limits, but even those stretch with improving conditioning and technique.

Carl
Keep going Carl. I was talking to a 69 year old (grandfather to our new chief instructor). He is a 4th Dan, but from another school. I was lobbying for him to join our school, so I wouldn't have to be he oldest........I am only a first Dan, age 58. STRETCH 5 minutes twice every day. It is priceless in allowing me to not look like some dork when I spar a third or fourth degree teenager.......

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd take your class any day.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd much rather do the practical self-defense applications than flashing competition practice any day.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm an "old dude" who has been out of TKD for about 30 years and have just gone back into training. Personally, I want to be treated like the rest of the class. If I struggle, so-be-it. I believe there is a standard that you should perform to, and if you don't meet that standard you shouldn't progress. If the promotion requires a jump back swing kick, then you should be required to do a jump back swing kick irregardless of age. Everybody taking the art should not expect a black belt.

Latest Discussions