TKD / MMA Fighter Faces Murder Charges

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110401/NEWS/104010317/1001/news/Fighter-faces-murder-charges

A co-founder of a Watertown mixed martial arts team faces murder charges after the Thursday death of another man in what police described as an alcohol-fueled assault in a bar parking lot two weeks ago.Jerrin Stulken, 28, initially was charged with aggravated assault. Stulken, a trainer for the Disciples of Combat MMA team, now faces alternate counts of second-degree murder or first-degree manslaughter.

The man was apparently a TKD black belt who moved to MMA, trained up a team, and was starting up MMA fights in their town. Got into a bar fight - self-defense or not remains to be seen - and killed a man.

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail6371.cfm?Id=113090

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail6371.cfm?Id=113149

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disciples-of-Combat/111775618836514?sk=info

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's a sad turn of events. I think the guy they interviewed nailed when he said alcohol is the culprit here. It always amazes me how the media spins these things. If he had pulled out a gun in that parking lot and shot the guy they'd be crying for gun control.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drink :idunno:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Self Defence", out the window. Words such as "Revenge", "Retribution" or Retaliation" spring to mind.

Court papers also say Stulken hit the victim even after he was unconscious. That breaks martial arts code.

It also breaks the law. :asian:

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Self Defence", out the window. Words such as "Revenge", "Retribution" or Retaliation" spring to mind.

It also breaks the law. :asian:

Something for ALL OF US to think about!!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep, if they can show that that may have been the cause of death, in most states that is murder, not manslaughter.

in my state you must stop after they stop, enless it is a deadly force situation. ( attacker is armed, there are more then one attacker, attacker has stated deadly intent and has the means to make it happen, to stop burglary or arson or homicide... then you may use deadly force...) even then I would stop if I have subdued the attacker and disarmed him... jury's are not predictable, and many have a distorted view of what martial arts is.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yep, if they can show that that may have been the cause of death, in most states that is murder, not manslaughter.

in my state you must stop after they stop, enless it is a deadly force situation. ( attacker is armed, there are more then one attacker, attacker has stated deadly intent and has the means to make it happen, to stop burglary or arson or homicide... then you may use deadly force...) even then I would stop if I have subdued the attacker and disarmed him... jury's are not predictable, and many have a distorted view of what martial arts is.

Which is why I believe every Martial Arts program, school, Instructor should address their local laws on Use of Force. Laws vary in different states and it's important to know what the law says before you use deadly force!

Unfortuantely, many people do have a disorted view on what Martial Arts are!! Sadly, we as Martial Artists haven't helped with that!!
icon8.gif

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Don't forget judges.

Remember story about a black belt who was attacked on the street, ended paralyzing the attacker. But he ended up in front of a judge who gave him jail time. The judge's reasoning was that at the black belt level, he should know how powerful he is and should have used more restraint.

These types of stories make me mad for a lot of reasons. This could have have solved if the black belt had removed himself from the situation. And it feeds the public perception that all martial artists have the five fingers of death.