TKD\Karate cross-training?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny you maybe right can't seem to find a school in Vegas that would be suitable!!! I am not saying that it does not exist but we have not been able to find one!!! Our Master is putting together a strategy that we are going to work on in this area. They started working on it last night! Allot of it does not look like TKD techniques but it is the direction this sport is going!!! The hands down style of fighting that has been such a complaint about TKD is going to go away. A much higher gaurd is needed. The 3 point head kick is going to take care of that. It is a head hunters sport now!

In the last tourney I went some weeks ago where we had exposure to the adidas electronic hogus most of the fights were won by head kicks and that's because in some cases the kick to the hogu did not score so the figthers went for a slap kick to the head to be awarded with 3 points.

The way we used to see WTF/Olimpic TKD must evolve cause now not all kicks or kind of kicks score and the figthers as you mentioned will turn into head hunters.

In the past I really didn't get it why fighter use a very low guard but I realized latter because most of the kicks were to the mid section and with a low guard a kick can be deflected that way, right now with the head hunters I would rather protect my neck/face/head and to protect the body I would use shifting moves.

Manny

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the last tourney I went some weeks ago where we had exposure to the adidas electronic hogus most of the fights were won by head kicks and that's because in some cases the kick to the hogu did not score so the figthers went for a slap kick to the head to be awarded with 3 points.

The way we used to see WTF/Olimpic TKD must evolve cause now not all kicks or kind of kicks score and the figthers as you mentioned will turn into head hunters.

In the past I really didn't get it why fighter use a very low guard but I realized latter because most of the kicks were to the mid section and with a low guard a kick can be deflected that way, right now with the head hunters I would rather protect my neck/face/head and to protect the body I would use shifting moves.

Manny

You are right it is a head hunters game and you will see WTF Olympic Style TKD move to a much higher guard than has been used recently. The lead leg is much more important. They are scoring that head kick much more liberally than they have in the past. The adjustments have already been made in Europe. We saw this at the Spanish open. The game is evolving rapidly and we are trying to stay ahead of the game. Some have said that it starting to look allot more like karate. I guess TKD is moving back to its roots. I have spoken with some folks who are connected to the Philippine National Team and they are looking for lead leg head kickers. If you don't have a strong lead leg you need to develop one it will absolutely be need in the future.

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you're looking for lead leg training, have her work various fast kick drills. Some of the fighters coming out of LA use the fast kick as their setup almost exclusively. There might be a few of them lurking around the Vegas area. The rear leg roundhouse is still going to be the bread and butter for most WTF players, because the electronic hogus don't score shots very easily. I saw them in action here in Seoul during some collegiate matches last year. The athletes weren't always happy with them, because they didn't receive scores for some techniques that definitely would have been counted in the past, but they'll adjust.

The two main techniques she might want to add to her skillset are the front leg axe kick and the front leg side kick. Either one will help her catch people coming in, and she can train those with her current coach, or she should be able to. The points changes for spinning and head techniques will make things interesting as well. They experimented with the rules in pro TKD in Korea a few years ago. Every 360 degree rotation earns an extra point for a kick that lands, so you saw some crazy stunts if someone was down by 4. They'd try 720 round kicks to the head to try to tie it up.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We went to a few Karate schools. I was very impressed with the professionalism, knowledge and integrity of the instructors. In the end the gap between WTF Sport TKD and Karate are just to great. Very much apples and oranges. Not one better than the other just way different. It almost as if we don't speak the same language. I was very impressed with the self defense aspect of Karate and the practical application of techniques. I was very impressed with the quality of the Karate Schools. Although it did not work out as we hoped I am very happy with experience.

We have a greater understanding of the differences of both arts and a much greater appreciation. The 3 instructors that we spoke with took the time to evaluate my kids discuss what we are trying to do and in each case we decided not enough common ground for mutual benefit. Not one tried to sell me on the benefits of Karate over TKD or sign us up in their school it was and honest and frank discussion with each and I was very impressed.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
My daughter is a highly skilled WTF Olympic Style fighter. She fights Nationally and Internationally. With the dawn of Electronic Hogus in tkd body points have become very scarce and lead leg head kicking has become very effective. I have two Questions. We live in Las Vegas is there a top notch sport karate school in Vegas. Do you think that X training with a top notch sport karate fighter would be good for both.

I am not trying to start a Karate Vs Tkd thread just looking for a little advice\help.

I think it would greatly help!!!! just explain to the teacher what you want and what your plans are. all sport karate schools i have ever known teach all lead leg kicks and darn well.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it would greatly help!!!! just explain to the teacher what you want and what your plans are. all sport karate schools i have ever known teach all lead leg kicks and darn well.

Thanks Scottie...As you can see from my previous posts we have made a diligent attempt and it still might be a good Idea...We have not been able to find a suitable karate school to cross train...If you know of any in Las Vegas please let me know I will resume the search!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gorilla have you tried Las Vegas Shotokan Karate Sensei James Tawatao is the head instructor their and has alot of knowledge, the school is located at 2929 W sahara Blvd. I believe he also has an instructor by the name of Rey something that used to have an awesome lead leg. I do not know if they would remember me but I did some training with them a while back. I hope this helps you.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gorilla have you tried Las Vegas Shotokan Karate Sensei James Tawatao is the head instructor their and has alot of knowledge, the school is located at 2929 W sahara Blvd. I believe he also has an instructor by the name of Rey something that used to have an awesome lead leg. I do not know if they would remember me but I did some training with them a while back. I hope this helps you.

Thanks I will stop by

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just an update on our Karate Journey. We have been training for about 6 months in Shotokan Karate(Hiroshi Allen) and will be competing in the US Open (NKF) in April. It has been a big add to my kids TKD and they thoroughly enjoy Sport Karate. They both seem to complement each other quite well!!!!

We are very lucky to be training under Sensei Allen a real pro!!!!

Latest Discussions