TKD Joe Rogan, 54, shocking revelation: I am unable to kick without (lots) of pain.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm no Kim Kardashian but it seems to me that the very thing that he is advocating is what caused his knees to F*up. That is to say training with weights on his freakin legs....

He seems to suggest that any 50+ year old will be in pain from kicking, unable to go rounds, and I don't buy that.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm no Kim Kardashian but it seems to me that the very thing that he is advocating is what caused his knees to F*up. That is to say training with weights on his freakin legs....

He seems to suggest that any 50+ year old will be in pain from kicking, unable to go rounds, and I don't buy that.

Agree. I feel that is part of what led to my knee issues.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to Joe Rogan on anything martial arts or health related. I think there are better and more reliable sources than he is. He's just someone one with a mic sharing his thoughts. I definitely wouldn't listen to him after it's been reported that he takes medicine used to de-worm horses. Even if his doctors gave him that, he should change doctors.

But on the issue of kicking or punching with weights. I don't recommend doing it. The weight distribution puts more weight on the end of something that shouldn't have weight. When we punch and kick, we aren't lifting weight at the end of the leg. The most weight that we lift comes from our thighs and the weight naturally lessens as it gets closer to the foot.

If you want to punch with weights then I recommend using Iron rings. Iron Rings allow the weight to shift so the weight is not always at the end of your punch. You will probably also do fewer reps and slower punches with irons as well. Your punches don't get slower, you just punch slower due to the pain that you'll get smashing the weights on the back of your fist. I also believe that punching with iron rings teaches how to drive the power. The way that the weights slide against your arm will tell you how your power is leaving your fist as the weights tend to move in that direction. Weight on my forearm is not the same has having weight in my hand.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any good way to train kicks with weights around your ankle (or maybe that's a good thing). There are some thigh weights that may be better as that would be a more natural area in which weight would be added. For example if you had big muscular thighs or over weight thighs. Your body would have to navigate that. But don't quote me on that.

I have found that my natural leg weight is more than enough weight to help build up muscle in that area. I definitely wouldn't recommend adding more weight to one's leg if you can't master the natural weight of the leg. Just my 2 cents

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to Joe Rogan on health issues, either. But as for Martial Arts, I consider him one of the most knowledgable people in the country.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think there are any good way to train kicks with weights around your ankle (or maybe that's a good thing). There are some thigh weights that may be better as that would be a more natural area in which weight would be added. For example if you had big muscular thighs or over weight thighs. Your body would have to navigate that. But don't quote me on that.
We starting using Spoband resistance bands to resist kicking. That way it doesn't add inertia to a joint that's not prepared for it (if anything it makes it safer as the resistance increases all the way towards the end of the range of motion).

Here's a video where they talk about this exact topic (although they use regular physio resistance bands rather than Spobands) -

Here's a video/advert for Spoband use in Taekwondo kicking -

(I have no business or personal interest in Spoband, they're just a cool tool I came across on Grandmaster Kang, Ik-pil's videos and bought some for my club, and just ordered some more - happy customer)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to Joe Rogan on anything martial arts or health related. I think there are better and more reliable sources than he is. He's just someone one with a mic sharing his thoughts. I definitely wouldn't listen to him after it's been reported that he takes medicine used to de-worm horses. Even if his doctors gave him that, he should change doctors.

But on the issue of kicking or punching with weights. I don't recommend doing it. The weight distribution puts more weight on the end of something that shouldn't have weight. When we punch and kick, we aren't lifting weight at the end of the leg. The most weight that we lift comes from our thighs and the weight naturally lessens as it gets closer to the foot.

If you want to punch with weights then I recommend using Iron rings. Iron Rings allow the weight to shift so the weight is not always at the end of your punch. You will probably also do fewer reps and slower punches with irons as well. Your punches don't get slower, you just punch slower due to the pain that you'll get smashing the weights on the back of your fist. I also believe that punching with iron rings teaches how to drive the power. The way that the weights slide against your arm will tell you how your power is leaving your fist as the weights tend to move in that direction. Weight on my forearm is not the same has having weight in my hand.

I have found that my natural leg weight is more than enough weight to help build up muscle in that area. I definitely wouldn't recommend adding more weight to one's leg if you can't master the natural weight of the leg. Just my 2 cents
I think you CAN use weights in this way but it is risky, one should be very careful to use less weight than one might assume, and execute the technique in an extra-slow and controlled manner. Do not simply strap on the weights and then throw techniques as hard and fast as possible. Use of weights should be viewed as a separate strength training exercise, and not as a direct practice of technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you CAN use weights in this way but it is risky, one should be very careful to use less weight than one might assume, and execute the technique in an extra-slow and controlled manner. Do not simply strap on the weights and then throw techniques as hard and fast as possible. Use of weights should be viewed as a separate strength training exercise, and not as a direct practice of technique.
Keyword Strength Training

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, that is pretty much what is did. Didn’t hurt at all at the time.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to Joe Rogan on anything martial arts or health related. I think there are better and more reliable sources than he is.
I don't know how you got the impression than I did. I made the thread precisely because his methodology was self-defeating.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know how you got the impression than I did. I made the thread precisely because his methodology was self-defeating.
I didn't think you listen to him. I was just comment that I wouldn't.

Latest Discussions