Joe Rogan teaches GSP TKD spinning back kick

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Rogan is often ripped by Taekwondo folks for some of the negative things he's said about TKD. However, he still keeps up his kicking skills enough to teach a great spinning back kick to Georges St. Pierre a few years back. This video is a great teaching piece, but contains STRONG GYM LANGUAGE AND NSFW!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that kick is limited to TKD though, we learnt it in karate many moons ago.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gsp already had the back side kick from Karate....he is a 2nd Dan in Kuokushin karate...I have always liked that video because it is just two guys sharing technique! GSP has such an open mind!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, GSP already knew how to do a spinning back kick and had used it in the UFC years earlier. Joe was just giving him some tips on how to throw it more effectively.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, judging by GSP's comment, "I learned this kick wrong," he saw it as different version of the kick he had learned. A Kyokushin spinning back kick & a TKD spinning back are not done the same way. They are different kicks.

My purpose in posting this video wasn't to point out which has a more effective kick, but rather to counter what another poster had said about TKD having no value in MMA. That argument is not valid.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, judging by GSP's comment, "I learned this kick wrong," he saw it as different version of the kick he had learned. A Kyokushin spinning back kick & a TKD spinning back are not done the same way. They are different kicks.

My purpose in posting this video wasn't to point out which has a more effective kick, but rather to counter what another poster had said about TKD having no value in MMA. That argument is not valid.
If you listen to some people nothing from TMA has any value, quite what they think fighters are doing is a mystery.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Heard somewhere in america especially tkd is pretty much the martial everybody does growing up. So almost everybody has a tkd background.

And tkd elements are used in mma.

Latest Discussions