TKD High

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been at this for about two years now and have started to notice a definite pattern -- doesn't matter how crappy the day has been, what else is going on, or how foul of a mood I'm in, a nice, hard-core practice changes my outlook on things completely. At first I thought I was just imagining it, but today (after an epically bad Monday that just wouldn't end), went into the dojang feeling like crap and came out feeling like a completely new person (despite the usual helping of bumps and bruises).

I've heard of a runners high, so I'm guessing the same basic factors are at play -- endorphines, increased blood flow, what-have-you. However, this is something that I've only noticed over the past couple of months (before, I'd just feel exhausted and in pain on the way home). Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same thing as the runners. New runners don't get the same endorphine rush as those who've been at it a while.
There's also the simple fact that physical exercise helps with mental focus, and that will also make you feel better.

Sitting by the ocean also helps. I think it's impossible to be cranky or depressed while watching the surf come in.

eliteguardian

White Belt
Reaction score
I know how you feel, I get the exact same feeling every time I walk in the door it's like all the bad stuff just floats away.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which... really bad night in the ER last night. But that's OK, because in about 30 minutes I get in the Vette and head to the dojang. Two things that ALWAYS make me happy.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh yeah, totally. I don't get runner's high at all, just runner's "ow ow ow my ankles", lol. But I've gotten that kind of thing from martial arts. I remember my TKD 1st Dan test, at the end I was like "that's it?? I can totally spar some more, let's go!" - not even realizing that it'd been like 2.5 hours. After half an hour I was so tired and ravenous, but at the time I felt like I could go forever.

Latest Discussions