tkd for ever

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just saw a tv show on the net where a 40+ years of doing TKD sabonim got interviewed and really like it. This sabonim (an 8th degree black belt) began TKD at 8 years old and now he is 53 an antire life doing TKD, ha has promoted so many kids over the years to black belt level and he still has his oldest student with him, a guy who has 35+ years with him.

In the interview the sabonim talks about the martial arts and the developement of the children till full grown men/women, I just felt righ seeing this almost 60 minutes tv show.

TKD loved for many people and heated for some but still be my number one martial art and I know I am doing sopmething good for the comunity everitime I step inside the mat with the kids.

Manny

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In contrast I have a friend telling me after I get my black belt I "know enough" and should quit TKD to pick up judo to round out my skills.

I don't plan on listening to him, though. I would like to learn another art, but as an addition, not a replacement.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In contrast I have a friend telling me after I get my black belt I "know enough" and should quit TKD to pick up judo to round out my skills.

I don't plan on listening to him, though. I would like to learn another art, but as an addition, not a replacement.

I think that's the way it should be done. Whatever your first martial art is, don't quit training in it. You'll never be as good in another as you are in that one. Cross-training is a good thing, because it can plug some holes that the first art might have left open, but always work to incorporate that cross-training into the first art.

In other words, always leave the dance with the one that brung ya! :)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's what I do. I love to learn some other art to adittion not replacement to my TKD.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that's the way it should be done. Whatever your first martial art is, don't quit training in it. You'll never be as good in another as you are in that one. Cross-training is a good thing, because it can plug some holes that the first art might have left open, but always work to incorporate that cross-training into the first art.

In other words, always leave the dance with the one that brung ya! :)

Cleaver very cleaver!!!

Manny

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just saw a tv show on the net where a 40+ years of doing TKD sabonim got interviewed and really like it. This sabonim (an 8th degree black belt) began TKD at 8 years old and now he is 53 an antire life doing TKD, ha has promoted so many kids over the years to black belt level and he still has his oldest student with him, a guy who has 35+ years with him.

In the interview the sabonim talks about the martial arts and the developement of the children till full grown men/women, I just felt righ seeing this almost 60 minutes tv show.

TKD loved for many people and heated for some but still be my number one martial art and I know I am doing sopmething good for the comunity everitime I step inside the mat with the kids.

Manny

Good for that sabomin. I have lots of respect for people who stick it out like that.

Latest Discussions