TKD Class Length

foolish

White Belt
Reaction score
So after doing Hung Gar Kuen for quite a few years I was thinking of giving TKD a try. After finding more information about local TKD schools I began to notice that on average most classes run for only 1 hour.

I am used to training for 2+ hours per class. Is it common for TKD schools to train for only 1 hour per class? Would 1 hour be enough to get techniques and lessons across? I am still planning on physically checking out a couple of schools, just looking for a little more input. =)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well each school kind of dictate how they are run, for me classes are 1.5 hrs to 2.5 hrs.. I kinda still believe practice makes perfect.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If structured right, you can leave everything on the floor in under an hour.
It depends on how organized the instructor is and how big the class.

From the past I was used to 2h workout nights (not MA), too, but my TKD school has 1h classes for adults (kids 45 min, and that, too can be plenty) with a full schedule. Also, it seems that you can't get anybody to come out after 8 o'clock around here, so by that time everything got wrapped up. (the old club trained from 8 to 10PM...go figure)

Also, figure out how much down time you have in a 2 h block vs a structured 1h session.

As usual tho, your mileage may vary.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you will find TKD to be a quicker pace and much more of an Aerobic workout.
This lets an hour or even 50 minutes usually be a good pace.
Many schools will do workshops or self defense night and those may go longer. Here it may be more of what you are used to which is a lot of working through techniques and instruction.
In general TKD takes repetition and drilling. Here is a side kick now drill it for 10 minutes. Trust me you will and it will be enough.
Try a couple of classes and see what you think. Then I would worry about the need for more : )

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, it's plenty. My instructor always says, "You can have a bad skill day, but you may not have a bad hustle day."

So, we move it in class.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the class is high intensity (and most tkd classes are) then you don't need more than an hour. However if you are use to a fairly good stretch routine after each workout then you may need an hour and a half. Most TKD classes only do a minimal set of quick stretches before and after class that only takes about 5 minutes. Most times you are expected to stretch on your own.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our classses only go for an hour but are very fast paced and very aerobic and I am completely spent by the end of class. I get to class 20 minutes early and stretch heavily before class starts. If a class is structured properly an hour is heaps of time.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think 1 hour is enough to warm up, teach new material, and groove in enough repetitions so you can easily repeat the lesson at home, unless you're an exceptional learner. You also have to consider class time is invaluable for sparring and other partner drills that you can't do at home by yourself, so it's even more painful to lose the extra time in class if you're used to more.

I fully realize 45 min - 1 hour is the increasingly the standard today, which is a shame in my opinion. Then again if the instructor is teaching relatively 'simple' material, perhaps it is enough.

By the way, that's an interesting transition to make from hung gar to taekwondo. I imagine just pivoting on the balls of your feet vs. the heel will be tough to get used to.

OP
F

foolish

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies!

I suppose I will have to go in and check it out myself! :)

The plan is to study both Hung Gar and TKD concurrently. I just dont get to do Hung Gar as I would like anymore as the school has an even split on Kung Fu and Lion dance focus. Not that its a bad thing, I just want to keep training in martial arts! :)

Im a bit excited now, from what you are all saying the training will most likely be intense, just the way I like it!!

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you figure in stretching time, warm ups, etc. how long is the actual lesson out of the hour class? How many times a week can you go to class? I'm sure you know it is not the style, but, how the art is taught.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you will find TKD to be a quicker pace and much more of an Aerobic workout.
This lets an hour or even 50 minutes usually be a good pace.
Many schools will do workshops or self defense night and those may go longer. Here it may be more of what you are used to which is a lot of working through techniques and instruction.
In general TKD takes repetition and drilling. Here is a side kick now drill it for 10 minutes. Trust me you will and it will be enough.
Try a couple of classes and see what you think. Then I would worry about the need for more : )
This has been my experience as well. Generally, classes have been an hour at every place where I have trained. Our school used to have a self defense night before HKD was offered as a separate course of study. Those ran one and a half to two hours.

Daniel

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
We took it 1.5 hour.

But, with notation that we do 15-20 minutes warm up, so as 15-20 minutes to stratch, relax, and do some breathing exercices before training ends.

Latest Discussions