TKD Being Taught As P.E. in L.A. Schools

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually quite like this idea. A great way to promote TKD and help kids get/stay fit!!!

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/08/04/2010080400821.html

Taekwondo Adopted as Official Subject in LA School District

Students attending public schools in Los Angeles can now take classes in Korea's traditional martial art, taekwondo.

The Korea Cultural Center in Los Angeles said eight public schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District have decided to adopt taekwondo as part of their physical education curriculum and as an after school extra-curricular activity starting from September.

Up until now, only two middle schools in the city have taught taekwondo as part of the non-regular curriculum.

The cultural center also plans to encourage more schools nearby to adopt the martial art.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually quite like this idea. A great way to promote TKD and help kids get/stay fit!!!

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/08/04/2010080400821.html

Taekwondo Adopted as Official Subject in LA School District

Students attending public schools in Los Angeles can now take classes in Korea's traditional martial art, taekwondo.

The Korea Cultural Center in Los Angeles said eight public schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District have decided to adopt taekwondo as part of their physical education curriculum and as an after school extra-curricular activity starting from September.

Up until now, only two middle schools in the city have taught taekwondo as part of the non-regular curriculum.

The cultural center also plans to encourage more schools nearby to adopt the martial art.

With grade inflation they will all be BB in 1 semester...

All kidding aside I think that it is great for TKD!!!!! let the games begin!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is great news, do we know who will be teaching the classes?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is great. Not because of the TKD, but because they need to bring back some type of P.E. classes back to the elementary schools.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a school in Houston that does this as well. I went to a Weapons Seminar a year or so ago, and that's the Master's day job. I'm not sure of the style he teaches, though.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is great news, do we know who will be teaching the classes?

I have not been able to determine who will be teaching. The Korean Cultural Center is the org that plays a big role in sponsoring GM Cheon when he takes teams to places like Russia and Korea so I presume KKW will be the curriculum, but I can't even say that for sure based on the little bit of information that I have been able to find so far.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea too. I wonder if it will be taught as a sport and will have inter school competitions (sparing forms or both) like there are for football, baseball etc or if each school will be stand alone.

Latest Discussions