TKD BB "assault" another student following a racist attack

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately schools are very rarely in to punishing the person who started a fight they always go for the person who finishes it. I hope things work out well for this kid.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a kid I moved around a lot (4 high schools) and I was always the new guy. Let me tell you, I've run in to similar situations many times. I feel sorry for the kid because I've been in the situation where you defend yourself but it's still your fault rather than that of the guy who's been there 4 years ... since I just started yesterday!

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keswick isn’t even “back woods”, it’s got 21 000 people and serves mainly as a bedroom community for Toronto. You can be in downtown Toronto in less then an hour from Keswick.

A little background, though it by no means justifies anything. For the past few years there have been many instances of van loads of Chinese from Toronto travelling around to areas like Keswick and fishing the place out, taking anything and everything they catch. This has created much animosity, including sinking of boats, vandalism of vehicles, and theft of fishing equipment by locals. Charges have been laid against some locals and I believe some of the Chinese have been fined by the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Regardless, the guy in question is just a bully; I’d be surprised if the Korean victim was the first target for the guy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unfortunately schools are very rarely in to punishing the person who started a fight they always go for the person who finishes it.

True

Back in the 70s when I was in high school the guy that harrassed me for weeks and finally brought his friends over and got in my face and swung (first) at me a couple of times and missed got nothing, nor did his friends. But I didn't miss and got a week detention and a threat of suspension.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
sooooo bullying, racism and assault are ok in that region of Canada but self-defense is not :confused:

Exactly, that's the message they are sending, don't defend yourself, get your butt whooped and hope the police will do something, fat chance, it's no different their then here, it would have just continued. Good for him and the students who walked out for him.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Zero Tolerence policy is absolutely ridiculous, ineffective, and illogical. Not to mention that such policies often attempt to take away one our most very basic of rights; the right to self preservation.

How absolutely ludicrous is it to ask of a person to stand by idly while they are being physically attacked. The only thing more outrageous than that is the fact that you have to explain this to some people!

When I was suspended for getting punched in the nose, my parents were told that the only way I could have avoided getting suspended was to, and I'm paraphrasing here, say nothing to invite an attack upon my person and to curl up in a ball on the floor and make no move to defend myself while I was pummeled repeatedly until the attacker gave up and walked away.

Which of course assumes that the attacker will stop attacking you purely on his own initiative.

As a paranoid anarchist, I might think that this is an attempt to convince our citizens at a young impressionable age that they have no right to self reliance, but rather it is their responsibility to consent to violent assault upon themselves and their liberties and that the state and its authorities are the only ones empowered to act in their defense.

But that would be crazy. So let's just assume that this is an attempt at avoiding any accusation of playing favorites, and that the school is simply concerned about liability, which is why they just suspend everyone involved.

-Rob

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
What, are we trying to raise a society of wusses? Defending yourself will get you in trouble? Does that not go contrary to everything your rational mind tell you ... if there's any of it left after years of indoctrination. Follow the crowd, don't make waves, keep your head down, always obey. I respect that kid, it's the men who stand up for themselves and for rationality that make this world livable, not the bullies or the mealy mouthed apologist who talks about what the aggressor's problems at home are that makes him act out.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
What, are we trying to raise a society of wusses? Defending yourself will get you in trouble? Does that not go contrary to everything your rational mind tell you ... if there's any of it left after years of indoctrination. Follow the crowd, don't make waves, keep your head down, always obey. I respect that kid, it's the men who stand up for themselves and for rationality that make this world livable, not the bullies or the mealy mouthed apologist who talks about what the aggressor's problems at home are that makes him act out.

Omar,

I'll go even further than that, beyond the right to self-defense. This is a kid who was in a horrible spot. Even if there was a chance that he could have walked away from this without fighting, can there not be some understanding that he was being abused and confronted, and he responded? In addition to respecting s/d, can we not also accept that sometimes people have had enough and that from time to time a physical response is a natural consequence of how they're being treated?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the 80's, I was doing security / bouncing work at this place that saw lots of action. (* i.e. conflict or fights *).

I tried to make it safe for everyone no matter their sex or race.

It was known as a hang out for everyone or anyone.

The state passed a law that a simple assault or assault and battery with a racial slur automatically became a felony.

So one night three young men, assaulted me verbally and with posturing. Then they made the racial slur and attacked me physically. I defended myself. The police show, and as they had the worse of the exchange. (* For some reason fighting multiple opponents always made me scared, and my body reacted accordingly, unfortunately for some of the bad guys sometimes. *) The police wanted to arrest me. I said no problem and asked if they would arrest the three as well. I explained the comments they made and that witnesses had heard it. Some follow up questions by the officers and the bad guys had not denied the comments and were proud of them. They took them away in cuffs on felony charges and left me as mine at best was a misdemeanor and most likely self-defense.

Racism in any form should not be tolerated.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What, are we trying to raise a society of wusses?

IMO, these policies don't just create a society of wusses, but also a society of victims.

I'm with most of you on this one; anything my daughters do in self-defense has my full backing, and you'd better believe the school board would be hearing A LOT from me (and my lawyer) if a similar situation happened involving them.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
He shouldn't have hit the student. A push is not a serious attack, and verbal abuse is no excuse for hitting someone. He shouldn't be charged with assault either. He should have reported the incident and let hate crimes laws take their effect. Than again, he is only 15, I did stuff like that when I was 15.

The problem is that giving in every time just feeds the abuse. And if it goes on long enough, it becomes normal and accepted.
The fact that the other student did what he did proves that there is an undercurrent of racist thinking in his environment. Racism does not come out of the blue in kids.

My daughter gets taught that people are people, whether they are different from us or not. Gay, colored, or physically or mentally challenged... Everybody deserves respect. And so far, my daughter seems to absorb our message. And it would be a bad day for her if I found out otherwise.

Likewise, if I were to teach my daughter the wrong things, she'd be a bullying racist in no time. Look at Udai and Kusai Hussein. They were innocent babies once, too.

So if my daughter is bullied, and feels threatened enough to strike back, then she will have my unwavering support, even if her response would be considered over the top for that specific instance.

Last edited:

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Any unwanted contact is an assault, a push is just as grievous as a punch in my eyes. You are not my gf, mom, sister or dad,you don't need to be touching me.

As for the kid, he's completely justified, they are just angry their little racist got his butt kicked by his "victim." I commend the kid and his father for teaching him self control.
I don't think it could've been said any clearer.

I'm sure it differs from person to person, but if you don't know a person, they have no business putting their hands on you in any offensive way. I'll take it even a step further and say that if someone's even "pretending" to take a swing at another person- assuming these people don't really know each other that well- then it's not the victim's fault for reacting the way they're trained.

What, are we trying to raise a society of wusses? Defending yourself will get you in trouble?
Sadly, I think it's happening, slowly but surely. What's worse is seeing where holding it all in gets redirected at.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, if you don't know the person they don't need to be touching you at all, period. Simple as that, but then I'm the guy who has long hair because he even hates barbers touching him.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Updated story
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090501.wkeswick0501/BNStory/National/home

JOE FRIESEN
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
May 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM EDT

KESWICK, ONT. — The 15-year-old Korean boy sat quietly in the car Friday morning as his classmates streamed past the window, waving and saying hello.
The students were making their way to school in this small Ontario town, but the boy was travelling in the opposite direction. He was going to his first day at a program for suspended students.
As he watched the scene unfold, the 15-year-old's father was heartbroken. “It was really sad. He just wanted to go to school,” he said.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
On Friday afternoon, spokesman Ross Virgo said the board meant to retract that letter, that it was sent in error and that its contents were no longer valid. He said the case is being investigated further, and that the recommendation of expulsion is no longer in effect.

Translation:
The letter was already in the internal mail system before this became real news, and people found out that we are snivelling cowards who initially did not even want to look into the racism angle.
Now, people have found out that we are self serving bastards who couldn't care less about the Asian people, and this has exploded in our face.
Oops. We didn't expect people to notice.

“I told them I was sorry about the incident and I wanted to make sure they that they understood they're not only welcome in this community, but they are already part of this community,” Mr. Grossi said.

Translation:
Damn, I can sure as hell miss being yelled at by the electorate. And now I have to deal with this, thanks to the no-good school administration.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "push equals a punch" thing just isnt true according to most state laws. What matters is the totality of the circumstance and if physical or serious physical injury is imminent. Hospitalizing someone because he pushed you will land you in trouble. Just as killing someone because he punched you will.

Of course thats neither here nor there according to this particular story. Schoolyard fights have become way overblown in this age of Columbine.....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090501.wkeswick0501/BNStory/National/home

The 15-year-old was suspended for four weeks from Keswick High School over a fight that he says began when another student racially abused him and punched him in the mouth. The boy, who has a black belt in tae kwon do, fought back with a single punch that broke his antagonist's nose.

This is ridiculous....I'm amazed that the schools system allows this. The other student made a racist insult, then punched the other boy....and the victim is punished for his single, provoked punch. Granted, he could have walked away, he may have been able to divert the initial punch and defend himself (as a BB, he probably should have seen it coming and blocked, but anyone can get caught off guard). Either way, at the minimum, the instigating student should have been immediately expelled.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is the system it sucks plain and simple, me and my wife both teach and you see kids protecting themself and getting into trouble. This is why we should never have had these law makers making such idiotic laws about SD.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "push equals a punch" thing just isnt true according to most state laws. What matters is the totality of the circumstance and if physical or serious physical injury is imminent.

Cmon Arc, you know that what REALLY matters is how well your lawyer articulates whatever it is you are trying to get across in court. The right spin and that push is attempted murder...