TKD and Weapons

Tiger818

White Belt
Reaction score
Are there any weapons used in TKD? If so, what are they, and where can I get them?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course TKD has weapons!

The primary weapon is "foot," secondary is "hand."

"Knees" and "elbows" are also used on occassion.

:)

Sorry ... I couldn't resist.

Seriously: in MSK TKD, a staff form is taught to those who achieve black belt ranking.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
With limited exceptions, Taekwondo is an empty-hand art. The exceptions are schools like zDom's in which the instructor is well-versed in a hand-held weapon or weapons. I've seen dojang which had staff (bo), nunchaku, and knife training but they were the exception.

Miles

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I asked this question myself on an ITF-oriented board. The short answer is that "traditional" ITF tae kwon do does not have a weapons curriculum. Of course individual instructors may share knowledge they have acquired elsewhere, but it's really not part of TKD proper.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the banner of TKD was meant as the hands/feet only, but I also think that the schools had weapons curriculum, just not under the heading of 'TKD' if that makes sense?

When I started, we did no weapons at all. Now in my org there's about 8 with set forms and curriculum.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per Gen. Choi, the founder of ITF (Ch'ang H'on) TKD:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif] Translated literally "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]Tae[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]" stands for jumping or flying, to kick or smash with the foot. "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]Kwon[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]" denotes the fist-chiefly to punch or destroy with the hand or fist. "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]Do[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]" means an art or way - the right way built and paved by the saints and sages in the past.

Thus taken collectively "
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]Taekwon-Do[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]" indicates the mental training and the techniques of unarmed combat for self-defence as well as health, involving the skilled application of punches, kicks, blocks and dodges with bare hands and feet to the rapid destruction of the moving opponent or opponents.[/FONT]

Bold added. Traditionally, TKD was taught without weapons, although, as has been stated, some schools add weapons use in, usually at higher ranks.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any weapons used in TKD? If so, what are they, and where can I get them?

Not in modern Taekwondo. Some of the pre-TKD kwans taught bong-sul (staff technique) since their foundation training was from karate schools in Japan.

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not in modern Taekwondo. Some of the pre-TKD kwans taught bong-sul (staff technique) since their foundation training was from karate schools in Japan.

R. McLain

Very interesting, Rob... do you know of any other weapons beside staff that were taught in the Shotokan/Shudokan dojos attended by the Kwan founders? Those others, if there were any, might have also been picked up in the early Kwan curricula...

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm guessing, as it's purely a guess (did I mention it's a guess? hehe), that they might have done whichever weapons are associated with classic Shotokan. I haven't looked to see which weapons those would be though, it's purely a 'from the hip' guess based on Lee Won Kuk studying with Funakoshi etc (another KJN did as well, name escapes me this morning).

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Yes, hands and feet.

Traditional TKD trains in all weapons
how to defend against - yes
but to use - no
As we all know ignorance is not bliss you must know the basic theory and differences. Just the same as gun defense seminars...

However, the theory of TKD, is that to spend an inordant amount of time practicing with weapons is a waste when you don't carry them around with you. (I don't know many people who walk around with a staff or Chinease sword) Whereas you do carry your hands and feet with you at all times. So I would rather be 100% efficient with my hands and feet rather than 50%!

Now that being the theory, almost every black belt I know of has/ or is studing a weapon - for fun.
But then again, most of the seniors use firearms (and have concealed permits).
If your going to learn something, then either learn to controll the situation, or finish the situation.

If someone breaks into my house I am not going to spar with them to see if I can win. I will finish the situation. Just like the police.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting, Rob... do you know of any other weapons beside staff that were taught in the Shotokan/Shudokan dojos attended by the Kwan founders? Those others, if there were any, might have also been picked up in the early Kwan curricula...

Hello,

The only two kwan founders I know of for sure were Yoon Byung-in (Kwon Bup Bu/Changmoo-Kwan) and Yoon Kwe-byung (Jido-Kwan). Both studied "Bong-sul and hyung" (Staff techniques and forms).

Certainly the others educated in Japan were exposed to it as well.

Also, Kendo (Kumdo) was a mandatory subject taught for police training in S. Korea during WWII and following. It was taught almost exclusively at the police stations during this era. Anyone with connections to the police could have learned some Kumdo from there as well.

R. McLain

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have a copy of a ITF Tae Kwon Do tul that was just after General Choi and the council coined Tae Kwon Do. This form showed the practitioner performing a knife form. :erg: I received this from one of my instructors who received a copy from I believe General Choi himself. Why it is not in any of the General's works I do not know.:idunno: If I can ever get around to it I may be able to scan it in however the papers have been damaged through the years. The form is Tae Kwon Do with a knife in the practitioner's hands. Definately not sophisticated knife work but knife work none the less. I imagine this was something that the General taught the Korean military at that time but I have no clear cut answer and truthfully do not know anyone that does.

I did this particular form way back in the day for an extra demonstration on my IV test. (way back when)

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually have a copy of a ITF Tae Kwon Do tul that was just after General Choi and the council coined Tae Kwon Do. This form showed the practitioner performing a knife form. :erg: I received this from one of my instructors who received a copy from I believe General Choi himself. Why it is not in any of the General's works I do not know.:idunno: If I can ever get around to it I may be able to scan it in however the papers have been damaged through the years. The form is Tae Kwon Do with a knife in the practitioner's hands. Definately not sophisticated knife work but knife work none the less. I imagine this was something that the General taught the Korean military at that time but I have no clear cut answer and truthfully do not know anyone that does.

I did this particular form way back in the day for an extra demonstration on my IV test. (way back when)

This could be a very important document to have (the knife form). Please send a copy to me if you get the chance. It makes sense they would have something like that.

My instructor taught bayonette techniques while in the Korean Army (~1958-61). I believe he simply implemented techniques from bong-sul for that. We still practice a few of the bayonette 4-direction forms he developed.

R. McLain

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian if you could redo the form for us to see will be great.
Terry

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

GM Kim, widely acclaimed as one of the fathers of TKD, who was very closely involved with Nam Tae Hi and Gen.Choi included a knife and a pole pattern in his book 'Practical Taekwon-do' many moons ago.

I'm very reliably informed that he has since reworked these patterns and they form a part of his Chun Kuhn Do syllabus.

Latest Discussions