Tips on combining Taekwondo Karate and kenpo

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advise to anyone who wants to combine styles is to do each style for a minimum of 10 years and apply it. It's not complicated. It will happen naturally. Now to create a new style that you want to teach to others,, well now that's an entirely different question.
It might be helpful to have a strong base in one (so, training as a hobbyist, 10 years is reasonable), but it doesn't take that level of exposure to be able to make use of what's in other arts you train in.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is generally accepted that it takes about ten years for a skill to be fully developed.
We'd have to define "fully developed" for that to be an arguable statement. People with a couple of years in a new job (even mechanical/physical jobs) are typically pretty proficient. Someone who's been doing woodworking for 5 years (consistently) is probably going to be highly proficient. I've seen folks develop skill in an art in far less than 10 years.........depending how they train.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not generally accepted at all, I've never even seen that proposed, I've seen 10,000 hours proposed but that's for concert pianists etc where the fine motors skills are extreme, but that's a bit arguable if its anywhere near necessary if your talented
If I recall correctly, it also was applied to athletic skills, but - like the concert pianist - referred to what it takes to be near the top of a competitive field. So, yeah, agreed (with nitpicking).

Latest Discussions