tips for relaxation

James.pollard

White Belt
Hi,
I'm looking tips and methods to help appear more relaxed while training.

My instructor and senior belts often mention I look tense during training when I ask for feedback.
Internally I feel like I am relaxed, the only thing I can think of is that my regular operational level of relaxation isn't
reflected by my body externally.

My instructor has told me that I need to breath on every movement but this tends to leave me feeling like I'm
hyperventilating when I get to things like step exercises and forms that move at a faster speed (when I
remember to force myself to do it).

So if anyone has any recommendations they can share I would appreciate it.
 
Hi,
I'm looking tips and methods to help appear more relaxed while training.

My instructor and senior belts often mention I look tense during training when I ask for feedback.
Internally I feel like I am relaxed, the only thing I can think of is that my regular operational level of relaxation isn't
reflected by my body externally.

My instructor has told me that I need to breath on every movement but this tends to leave me feeling like I'm
hyperventilating when I get to things like step exercises and forms that move at a faster speed (when I
remember to force myself to do it).

So if anyone has any recommendations they can share I would appreciate it.
Kung Fu Wang started a thread here:

Restrict -> release

Belt Cracking is an excellent method of shortening the extension of movement for the purpose of developing relaxed power. It could be modified to suit a lot of the movements in your forms. He's probably the best person you could ever get advice from on how to do that.

Just a suggestion
 
Last edited:
Hi,
I'm looking tips and methods to help appear more relaxed while training.

My instructor and senior belts often mention I look tense during training when I ask for feedback.
Internally I feel like I am relaxed, the only thing I can think of is that my regular operational level of relaxation isn't
reflected by my body externally.

My instructor has told me that I need to breath on every movement but this tends to leave me feeling like I'm
hyperventilating when I get to things like step exercises and forms that move at a faster speed (when I
remember to force myself to do it).

So if anyone has any recommendations they can share I would appreciate it.
I try to pause occasionally to catch my breath, especially when doing forms. I will do a form maybe twice and then take a moment to catch my breath. I will also drink water throughout my training. I do put intensity in when I am doing forms but I will slow it down if needed.
 
relaxed while training. ... I need to breath on every movement
Any MA move involves "compress and release". It's like a spring, when you compress it to the maximum, your muscles are tensed. Before you have reached to that maximum compression, and also after you start to release, your muscles are relaxed. If you can understand your form training, you should know when you should be tensed, and when you should be relaxed.

You can try "section breath" method. For example, if you have to throw 3 fast punches, you can exhale

- 1/4 on your 1st punch,
- 1/4 on your 2nd punch,
- 1/4 on your 3rd punch,

and still remain 1/4 of air in your lung. You then do a full inhale (or partial inhale) after that.

In this video, at 1.00 - 2.00, he is doing his form in 90% relax and only 10% tense.

 
Last edited:
I try to pause occasionally to catch my breath, especially when doing forms. I will do a form maybe twice and then take a moment to catch my breath. I will also drink water throughout my training. I do put intensity in when I am doing forms but I will slow it down if needed.
Most forms have a rhythm with slow parts and a couple of short pauses. This is your chance to get some deep breaths and a quick extra sip or two of air. Speaking of rhythm, it's common for some to rush their forms. No need to do it slow, but don't force the pace.

I think the main thing is not to try putting too much effort as far as power goes - you can do that during drills. Stay relaxed in kata and concentrate on body mechanics - doing this will give enough speed and power to give the form substance.

And whether you realize it or not, you're probably holding your breath during the fast combo parts. Breath shallow and let the combos flow, always keeping some air in reserve. Maybe one or more of these ideas may help you out.
 
If you can understand your form training, you should know when you should be tensed, and when you should be relaxed.
Agree. You don't need power when pushing air - you need it at the moment of impact, so that 90/10 ratio of relaxed/tense is pretty close. Okinawans call this sudden application of power upon contact (followed by immediate relaxation) chinkuchi. It's a different concept than what's generally used in Japanese or Korean karate.
 
I'm looking tips and methods to help appear more relaxed while training.
Maximum speed training can also help you to be relax. When you throw 5 punches within 1 second, you may not be able to generate maximum punching power, but your speed will make you to relax.

In this video, he makes 16 moves with 6 advance footwork within 3 seconds. That's about 16/3 = 5.3 moves per second.

 
I'd say it's the opposite - relaxation is the key (when correctly done). But I agree there is definitely a relationship.
Speed will make you relax. You can't have speed if you don't relax. In the Zimen system "break 3 joints" training, when you move your arms around your body, and you can only see blurry of your arm, you have speed. You are also in the maximum relaxation situation because you can't do it if you are tense.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top