Tip Jars...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This link was posted elsewhere: Inexorably Inconsiderate In it, a customer decides to use a tip jar as a give-a-penny fund.

OK, definitely cheap. Definitely not right.

But... Is anyone else getting sick of the proliferation of tip jars? Seems like anywhere other than a chain fast food restaurant has one out... and I've even seen them in some of them! I understand wanting some more money in these minimum or just-above wage jobs... but if tipped employees are supposed to be paid differently than regular employees. Generally, that means just enough of a paycheck to take taxes and any benefits out of. So... if you figure a dollar a customer, and let's wildly guess that a decently successful coffee shop does 100 customers during the morning rush, and the same during the evening rush. In my experience, you've got two to four employees working during each rush, and I'll assume they split the jar at the end of each shift. So... they're getting a "free" $25 boost every shift.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ignore them. I tip at few places.
Restaurants where they bring me my food, not buffets. I don't tip bus boys.
The car wash (those rare times I use one, usually do it myself) if I've gotten anything but the cheepy wash.
Pizza delivery guys (I usually pick it up).
That college gal shining up the brass pole (that 1 time I went there), but only to help her schooling. ;)

Beyond that, no. The barista's in WNY make $10+/hr. It's an assembly line.

Still, someone takes from the tip jar....that earns him 'special' flavors.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It hasn't bugged me, but I have noticed them. Tip jars in coffee shops has been a convention since I worked in a coffee shop in 1990. Back then, people would typically toss in change.

Personally, I tip servers and delivery people, and that's about it. I don't tip you if I hav to stand at a counter and order it, and wait in another area to pick it up. The one exception is the Bikini Barista trend here in Washington. I can see tipping there, but you're not tipping for the coffee.

The question I have is in sit down restaurants that also serve take out, like Chinese take out or something like that. Do you tip them?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not defending the asshat here.

I tip my barber. I tip waiters when I eat at "real" restaurants. I don't tip the guy at Dunkin Donuts. I don't tip the rare times I go to a fancy coffee shop. (One caveat: On the clock, I may put something in the tip jar if the place doesn't charge me otherwise.) I tip under some other circumstances, for special services. The decision line is simple: Is there a person doing something out of the ordinary for me? Is it a traditionally tipped job? Bartenders are tipped. The guy at the counter who collects my money and hands me the food... no. Delivery drivers get tipped; most places don't pay them well, expecting them to be tipped.

Buffet settings depends a little on the circumstances. If it's a buffet restaurant where they're filling my drink, and doing a little bit of service -- they get a buck or so. If it's one of the places like CiCi's where you go in, pay at the register, and all they do is collect plates? No tip.

Take out at restaurant that's serves regular food? Not tipped. It's "clerk" handing you the food. (Unless they're doing you a favor by making a to go meal when they don't really do that... There are a few places around that I can get that done, especially at work. They recognize the circumstances...) Maybe a "keep the change..." of some coins.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tip if the service has really been exceptional, if I am at the coffee shop and I have spare change, or at the few places where I am a regular. In the case of exceptionally BAD service, I tip as well: exactly two cents, and sometimes accompanied by a note that says exactly why they are getting the tip they got. I remember being at a hooters in el paso where I saw the server accidentally drop a container of mustard in the garbage can, then pulled it out, and gave it to the table next to us, thinking nobody had seen. I told that table what had happened. They didn't use the mustard the entire meal, and the server comes up to them at the end of the meal and says,"oh, did you want a different mustard?". She got the two cent tip with a note explaining that I saw what she did and she is lucky I didn't talk to her manager. Really in retrospect I should have just talked to her manager, incest my buddies saw the dirty looks she gave me as we were leaving.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If there is a tip jar, I generally put something in it. It may not be much, but it's something. I also give thanks for my blessings and for those who perform labor on my behalf. I don't do it because I think they do or don't deserve it, I do it because it is the way I was raised, and because it is one of the few times in my life I heard the Voice. One does not argue with the Voice.

When I was single, making a good living, and traveling, I often found myself in hotels and restaurants on Easter, Christmas, New Years. I generally threw a sizable amount on the tip. People who work those shifts are under-appreciated. They are forgoing time with family, friends, and the celebration itself to serve traveling suits like I was. I liked doing it incognito, always tried to get away clean before they noticed the amount. Nowadays I do not have that kind of wherewithal, but I try to be generous in tipping if tipping is expected and I can afford it. I don't seek the purpose of the mitzvot, I perform the mitzvah as I understand it. I'm not particularly good or pious, but I am thankful for what I have and sympathetic of those who have not.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tipping IS important. For most waiters they receive half of what minimum wage is paying and tips are expected to make up the rest. So it's hurting those people by not tipping. When I worked as a tour-guide tipping helped my income considerably. But still had to struggle to get as much as I can. If I had gotten at least a dollar a customer I'd been doing VERY good. But alas I didn't... be lucky to get at least $3-10 per tour/group. At average of 4-5 tours a day during the summer busy months that's not bad. But winter months were down to 1 or 2 tours with the tips dropping to less than $5.00 total. Some other guides did better than I did I suppose and still others not quite as good as me. Same goes for waiting tables. It's easy to think oh, the next customer behind me will tip them good. Are you so certain? Don't be. Tip according to service rendered, but at least tip... even if it ain't 15% (or more) a little helps out quite a bit.
Oh and if you're a repeat customer, believe me they'll remember after the 2nd or 3rd visit. If you tip well, then your (personal) service goes up exponentially and by that exchange so should the tips. You came to eat and to enjoy your food. The service given to you, always top off your water/drink, clean dishes, HOT food, little waiting, a little attention (even if to the kids) and so on is PART of enjoying your food.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tip at the normal places. I dont normally tip in a tip jar. Ill tip people that I have an interaction with like at a sit down restaurant. You chat with your severs they are normally friendly. The more personable you are with me and my family the tips go up. If you have to put out a tip jar then our interaction prob. consisted of "May I take your Order" so no tip for you. Unless as already stated when I was in uniform and you refused payment for my coffee then Ill throw a few bucks in the jar.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tipping IS important. For most waiters they receive half of what minimum wage is paying and tips are expected to make up the rest. So it's hurting those people by not tipping. When I worked as a tour-guide tipping helped my income considerably. But still had to struggle to get as much as I can. If I had gotten at least a dollar a customer I'd been doing VERY good. But alas I didn't... be lucky to get at least $3-10 per tour/group. At average of 4-5 tours a day during the summer busy months that's not bad. But winter months were down to 1 or 2 tours with the tips dropping to less than $5.00 total. Some other guides did better than I did I suppose and still others not quite as good as me. Same goes for waiting tables. It's easy to think oh, the next customer behind me will tip them good. Are you so certain? Don't be. Tip according to service rendered, but at least tip... even if it ain't 15% (or more) a little helps out quite a bit.
Oh and if you're a repeat customer, believe me they'll remember after the 2nd or 3rd visit. If you tip well, then your (personal) service goes up exponentially and by that exchange so should the tips. You came to eat and to enjoy your food. The service given to you, always top off your water/drink, clean dishes, HOT food, little waiting, a little attention (even if to the kids) and so on is PART of enjoying your food.
I was a tour guide once too we werent allowed to accept tips tho. It was fun. Mat lots of cool people

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I never said don't tip waiters. I worked for a bit as a waiter; I tend to tip fairly generously, and I don't take kitchen or management failings out on the wait staff. And if I tip poorly -- it's obvious that it wasn't an oversight. Tour guides, like hotel maid staffs, are in a limbo area. Depends on the circumstances, time of year (yeah, I'm more likely to give something on a holiday), and what they've done for me.

The tip jars I'm talking and bitching about are the ones showing up at Dunkin Donuts, in a few fast food type places, and just about anywhere else that the staff had figured out that if they put a jar out, people feel obligated to drop money into it. They get paid for a job; they aren't classified as typed employees and they're not typically tipped jobs like pizza delivery drivers.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One time my husband topped the guy at McDonald's, poor guy was so flustered he got the rest of the order wrong! :lol:
so don't do that. I tipped the guys at a Pizza takeout place once, because they came in early to make the pizzas for me I was taking to my kid's school, since they had lunch so early. It was not much, maybe 2 bucks each and I had to convince them to take it.

I notice I am not getting out enough, I seldom see a tip jar.
But I generally get good service (and since I don't know what I want I am a PITA customer by default, not intention) so dropping a few cents in there seems fair.

I tip the delivery guys generously (I wonder f they try to get that order of others) I feel bad when i only have 2 bucks...
The two places we get takeout from we also eat in, so we actually tip both ways. We like the service we get.

On the other hand I got a huge hug the other day tipping a girl. I sprained my brain trying to figure out the 20% ona 35$ tab...I went a shade higher. I mean, the sevice was ok, the girl a bit scatterbrained, but that did provide a big amusement value to the meal.... :D (she moved a table so we could join the party, in the progress a pepper shaker hit the floor and broke...3o min later i was still on the floor, along with the peanut shells you got to thrown on the floor in that joint. :lol:)

But another question:
Gratuity charged to the bill then 'kept' by the company.
Like in a catering situation. I think catering staff is generally paid more than restaurant wait staff, does it seem fair to add that to the price then not pay out the exact amount?

oh well, back to the tip jar...

I can also see it, since most of those folks do not do it full time. so the 10 bucks they might get is still just getting them closer to poverty.

personally I think it's best to put the money directly in the hand of the person you want to give it to.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
10% of $35 is $3.50. So 2 x $3.50 is $7.00. I hate math, but 20% is easy since it's 10% twice.

it's s duh moment...I just rounded it out to 40 bucks, like I said, the entertainment value was priceless.
I was a bit surprised, I thought the restaurant was in the rich part of town....or the 'rich have gotten stingy?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One time my husband topped the guy at McDonald's, poor guy was so flustered he got the rest of the order wrong! :lol:
so don't do that. I tipped the guys at a Pizza takeout place once, because they came in early to make the pizzas for me I was taking to my kid's school, since they had lunch so early. It was not much, maybe 2 bucks each and I had to convince them to take it.

I notice I am not getting out enough, I seldom see a tip jar.
But I generally get good service (and since I don't know what I want I am a PITA customer by default, not intention) so dropping a few cents in there seems fair.

I tip the delivery guys generously (I wonder f they try to get that order of others) I feel bad when i only have 2 bucks...
The two places we get takeout from we also eat in, so we actually tip both ways. We like the service we get.

On the other hand I got a huge hug the other day tipping a girl. I sprained my brain trying to figure out the 20% ona 35$ tab...I went a shade higher. I mean, the sevice was ok, the girl a bit scatterbrained, but that did provide a big amusement value to the meal.... :D (she moved a table so we could join the party, in the progress a pepper shaker hit the floor and broke...3o min later i was still on the floor, along with the peanut shells you got to thrown on the floor in that joint. :lol:)

But another question:
Gratuity charged to the bill then 'kept' by the company.
Like in a catering situation. I think catering staff is generally paid more than restaurant wait staff, does it seem fair to add that to the price then not pay out the exact amount?

oh well, back to the tip jar...

I can also see it, since most of those folks do not do it full time. so the 10 bucks they might get is still just getting them closer to poverty.

personally I think it's best to put the money directly in the hand of the person you want to give it to.

I imagine being killed does fluster a guy! :shooter:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we're missing out here...

Would it be out of line to put a tip jar on the desk in the ER?

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we're missing out here...

Would it be out of line to put a tip jar on the desk in the ER?

I'd make a joke about cops and tipping... but, unfortunately, the dirty ones that are on the take really ruin that sort of joke.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My dad was a bartender, I worked as one a bit while putting myself through karate school. :)
We over tip everybody.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to work at a frozen yogurt shop when I was in college. That job gave me a new look and great appreciation for tips! It's rough to remain smiling and pleasant when you have difficult customers who act as if you're beneath them or stupid just because you're behind a counter. I know from dealing with co-workers that some kids barely work and don't deserve the tips while others keep customers coming back because of the good service. I don't always leave a tip when I'm at a place similar to where I used to work, but I often try to leave something. Especially when I get good service or see certain workers who I know do the best job they can.

Latest Discussions