Tip Jars...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe we're missing out here...

Would it be out of line to put a tip jar on the desk in the ER?

I've heard stories from people that work in the ER, I would be concerned about what that tip jar may collect.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I grew up working in resturants. I tip well, and I tip better when I see good service and less when I get poor service. But I generally avoid tip jars. I tip the person who waited on me directly. I don`t want them to have to split the tip with someone who was one the other side of the place while they were waiting on me. Two people I always tip are my barber and the person who alters my suits. (I always try to have the person who`ll be doing the alteration do the measurments, not a sales person.) Those two people can have a big influence on how the rest of the world sees you. It seems like every one wants to be tipped these days.

I`ve grown out of the habit here in Japan because NO ONE accept tips.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I married and moved back to Japan, it was the middle of the school year and the teaching positions were already all filled. So I spent the first year and a half working in a resturant until something opened up. I was a cook, and helped occasionally in the dining room. Both positions were either salaried for full-timers or a set wage for part-timers.One thing I noticed right away was that because there was no tipping the wait staff didn`t have sections. You never heard anyone tell a customer "I`ll get your server" or "This isn`t my station." because every table was their table. So the customers got better service, the wait staff wasn`t as frazzled because someone was always ready to help you with a big order, and you never had to wait around after your shift to pick up a tip from a table that was lingering over their food. Managers never had to deal with complaints from staff about being stuck in a dead section because they worked the whole dining room. And tips never came up "missing". It was kind of nice and let you concentrate on your work.