Time Magazine Gets Caught Lying

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time Magazine Gets Caught Lying

Time Magazine Contradicts Eye-Witness Account

Would an editor who had never visited the scene of a photograph deliberately contradict the photographer's account of events? Is it possible that someone would change a caption that ends up incorrectly describing what took place? Moreover, would a prominent media outlet accept the claims of a terrorist organization over that of its own photographer?

Sounds hard to believe, but according to recent revelations by a photojournalist, this is exactly what happened with a photograph that was featured in Time Magazine during Israel's conflict with Hizbollah

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Say it isn't so, a member of our media family "enhancing" a story. Oh the horror! Actually, if you can't tell already, this doesn't suprize me in the least. Just suprized that Time was so careless to get caught. I can see The Weekly World News having to confess to maybe stretching the truth a bit (OK downright fabracating something.) (Disclamer: If the bat-boy, Jesus in Jams, or any gay Titanic survivors who survived by living in the hull these past many years care to contact me, I will retract the last bit.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Say it isn't so, a member of our media family "enhancing" a story. Oh the horror! Actually, if you can't tell already, this doesn't suprize me in the least. Just suprized that Time was so careless to get caught. I can see The Weekly World News having to confess to maybe stretching the truth a bit (OK downright fabracating something.) (Disclamer: If the bat-boy, Jesus in Jams, or any gay Titanic survivors who survived by living in the hull these past many years care to contact me, I will retract the last bit.)

Being a personal friend of the guy whose father is Elvis (who lives in Moose Jaw Canada) and his mother is an alien from the planet Clair I think I am insulted. :uhyeah:

But seriously a person from the media lying… What will you try and get me to believe next that man can fly?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
media consolidation is a serious concern in a free society. with restrictions lifting on how many things a media corp can own, this kind of stuff is going to become more and more common.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember an old Doonesbury cartoon showing the "football hero BD" in 'Nam and he's next to a lieutenant who's on the phone to his C.O. the conversation over three frames is thus...

Lt. : Sir, we have met the charlie and he is ours!
(over phone) C.O. : How many enemy dead lieutenant?
Lt. : Just a moment sir... (turning to BD) Private, what's today's date?
BD: uh, June 14 sir
Lt (back on phone to C.O.): 14 enemy dead sir!

So, do we believe Time anymore? Who's next? Life Magazine? Reader's Digest? Saturday Evening Post, New Yorker? Newsweek? U.S. News and World Report? The *gasp* National Geographic??

Hopefully this stint will make a lot of editors of a lot of national publications watch themselves henceforth! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the bat-boy, Jesus in Jams, or any gay Titanic survivors who survived by living in the hull these past many years care to contact me, I will retract the last bit.)

And if all three of them contact you, Bydand, you'd better be ready to issue a very handsome apology indeed!! :rofl:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll even dress up in a clown outfit. That way there will be no doubt to the sencerity of it.:rolleyes:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll even dress up in a clown outfit. That way there will be no doubt to the sencerity of it.:rolleyes:

OK, well, now you've given your word, sir, and we expect you to honor it should all that occur! :D

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Time magazine has had zero credibility since they named hitler man of the year.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They did - in 1938. Remember that Time's Man of the Year was awarded to the person who had the biggest impact - positive or negative. It was not a positive story, and the picture on the cover was pretty horrific.

Attachments

• $1101390102_400.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 121

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They did - in 1938. Remember that Time's Man of the Year was awarded to the person who had the biggest impact - positive or negative. It was not a positive story, and the picture on the cover was pretty horrific.

Got it---thanks, Kacey...looks like they had him pegged right after all!

Where did you manage to retrieve that cover from??!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got it---thanks, Kacey...looks like they had him pegged right after all!

Where did you manage to retrieve that cover from??!!

Google is my friend! I put in a search using the terms "time magazine hitler man of the year" and the first hit was this link. There were quite a few other hits from the search as well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I'm confuse here people are getting upset that Time magazine lied, so what all of our politician lie everyday. Lieing has become the norm in society. Here is a lie from me. I'm 6'5" Tall 225 lbs. and I'm the sexiest man alive.

OK seriousl;y I'm 5'9" 243 lbs. and I look good to my wife.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I'm confuse here people are getting upset that Time magazine lied, so what all of our politician lie everyday. Lieing has become the norm in society. Here is a lie from me. I'm 6'5" Tall 225 lbs. and I'm the sexiest man alive.

OK seriousl;y I'm 5'9" 243 lbs. and I look good to my wife.

Terry---the difference is, you 'fessed up immediately without even having a plea-bargain deal as an incentive! Not like the other folks you mentioned...

Latest Discussions