Primitive Fire

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to start a fire without matches, lighter, or gasoline? I mean no paper, or any combustibles, not even a hot spark magnesium flint. Primitive fire.

If you have, were you successful?

There are many simple primitive techniques. exp. bow and drill, hand drill, fire plow, fire piston, fire saw, flint and steel(old school) two rocks, lens made of ice. The list continues, but these are what I consider the simple methods.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would have attatched a vote to this thread, but I haven't figured that out yet. Any help would be wonderful.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i tried a long time when i was in cub scouts with a flint and steel set. never did figure it out.

as an adult, i've done it a couple of times using the lens of my glasses to light tissue on fire, then adding sticks.

glass appears to be the better method.

and to start a poll, you need to be a 'supporting member'. if you already are, the option appears below the text window when you're typing the thread starter.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and to start a poll, you need to be a 'supporting member'. if you already are, the option appears below the text window when you're typing the thread starter.[/quote]

I had better get on it then. Thanks.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was never successful with a bow drill, but I did OK with steel and flint and much better with a magnifying glass, though I'm not sure how primitive that method is. I am very happy to have fire gel, waterproof matches, and lighters in the emergency packs of my vehicles.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was never successful with a bow drill, but I did OK with steel and flint and much better with a magnifying glass, though I'm not sure how primitive that method is. I am very happy to have fire gel, waterproof matches, and lighters in the emergency packs of my vehicles.

what materials did you use for your bow and drill?

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have had success with bow and drill, flint and steal, two rocks and the fire piston. It's not difficult with the help of someone who knows what works and what doesn't work. For example, knowing to lock your wrist at you ankle for bow and drill. It make all the difference.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have had success with bow and drill, flint and steal, two rocks and the fire piston. It's not difficult with the help of someone who knows what works and what doesn't work. For example, knowing to lock your wrist at you ankle for bow and drill. It make all the difference.

Go girl!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't actually tried it. Although, I am familiar with several processes and the kinds of materials to find and use as fuel.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Using a bow drill isn't that bad, as lenatoi mentioned. You just need to make sure that you pick the wood used for each component carefully. For example, the spindle needs to be made from a harder wood than the footboard.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
what materials did you use for your bow and drill?

I'm guessing here, it was something local to the northwest, so probably well-dried maple or oak for the drill and green vine maple or alder for the bow. Does that make a difference?

Lamont

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What method?

First let me say this was over 30 years ago but if I remember correctly it was a wood bow with the string looped around a stick that was spun by moving the bow back and forth. The stick was on a smaller piece of wood and had saw dust around it.

I came real close years later with a power drill a dull bit and a piece of oak, does that count?

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, it was something local to the northwest, so probably well-dried maple or oak for the drill and green vine maple or alder for the bow. Does that make a difference?

Lamont

all the difference. For example, my best success is with yucca. the board and the drill/spidle. I put out a consistant 3 second coal with yucca. maple doesn't work, alder is okay, but oak is very difficult.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First let me say this was over 30 years ago but if I remember correctly it was a wood bow with the string looped around a stick that was spun by moving the bow back and forth. The stick was on a smaller piece of wood and had saw dust around it.

I came real close years later with a power drill a dull bit and a piece of oak, does that count?

I demonstrated friction fires with a power drill, after I had reconstructive surgery. works great.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Using a bow drill isn't that bad, as lenatoi mentioned. You just need to make sure that you pick the wood used for each component carefully. For example, the spindle needs to be made from a harder wood than the footboard.

If you have access to any yucca, I recomend trying it. I was using cotton wood as a hearthborad and experimenting with willow, aspen, cottonwood, oak, cedar, bass wood and just about everything I could identify. My best was with cotton wood on cotton wood 10 to 20 seconds each try, depending on the weather, until I tried yucca.

OP
airdawg

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I once threw an entire yucca bow drill set into a bucket of watter. I pulled it out 1/2 hours later. It only took an additional 4 or 5 seconds to get combustion.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have access to any yucca, I recomend trying it.
Unfortunately, there's not much yucca here in NY. It would be interesting to try, but up here I'm mainly limited to oak, hickory, maple, red cedar, and elm.